Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2020 10:39:16 AM EDT
Hey everyone, so I just picked up an 1863 Springfield that I'm 99% sure is a repro but I'm not sure who made it; the gun appears to have been defarbed of its markings. After poking around online it seems like most repros' lock plates are in the white but this one looks like it was a bit case hardened. The only other 1963 repro I've been able to find with case hardening was from a thread here and the consensus seemed to be that the gun was a Pedersoli; the only problem is that that gun had a different style of barrel bands than mine does. Anyway, if anyone could help me ID who made this gun I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]
my recommendation would be to ask the guys at Lodgewood ( http://www.lodgewood.com/Defarbing_c_187.html ) ........

They are the masters of defarbing......and could probably give you a good idea of what you've got.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll reach out to them. Thanks for the suggestion/link!
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not quite sure of the repro 1863 muskets; but the real M1863 musket had two different types of barrel bands.   The type 1 barrel bands were similar to that of the Enfield and each band used a tightening screw to hold it in place.  The type 2 barrel bands did not utilize a screw and saw the return of using a retaining spring to keep the barrel band in place; similar to earlier patterns of US and French muskets.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you looked underneath the barrel yet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top