Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2022 3:30:29 PM EDT
My father-in-law has the Mauser pictured below. It was his brothers who had a scope put on it sometime in the 1980’s. His brother died in the mid 1980’s and his father got the rifle. He wrapped it in a blanket and put it in a closet that shared a wall with a leaking pipe. My father-in-laws dad recently passed away and he now has the rifle. It was covered in rust when he got it. The scope that was on it was not salvageable. I cleaned it up for him but noticed there are several missing items from the stock Including the butt plate. I would like to replace the missing items for him but have no idea what Mauser parts will fit this particular model. It has R FAMAGE 1952 which I learned that it was re-barreled to .30-06. Any assistance would be appreciated. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Model number would help, your best bet may be Numrich Gun Parts, but there is also a guy in Nebraska that is a wealth of knowledge on all things Mauser.

E.M.E. Company, aka MauserGun.com

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#2]
You have a '98 Mauser made for Colombia.

These were standard 98 Mauser's made for Colombia by FN of Belgium and by Czechoslovakia
The FN's were made on the FN 1924/30 base rifle, the Czech's on the Vz23/Vz24.
Unless it was removed the maker should be stamped on the left side of the receiver.
Like most Mauser's most parts will interchange from any number of FN or Czech rifles made for South American countries.

After WWII they were sent to Reformado Fabrica de Materials de Guerra in Bogota to be converted from 7 mm Mauser to the US 30-06 and marked with "30-06 " and R FAMAGE as the arsenal converting them.
After WWII the US gave many countries surplus ammo so they often converted Mauser's to use it.

You appear to need a butt plate and screws, a rear barrel band and sling swivel, a long rear band screw that passes through the stock and band, and a stock disk.
On some military rifles a brass, nickel, or steel disk was insert in the stock.  Usually this was stamped with unit issue numbers.
You can make a substitute with a piece of brass and a brass screw.

I don't know what the hole through the pistol grip area is, I haven't seen that on one of these type rifles.

Gun Parts Corp should have most of what you need.........

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/mauser/rifles-mauser
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have a '98 Mauser made for Colombia.

These were standard 98 Mauser's made for Colombia by FN of Belgium and by Czechoslovakia
The FN's were made on the FN 1924/30 base rifle, the Czech's on the Vz23/Vz24.
Unless it was removed the maker should be stamped on the left side of the receiver.
Like most Mauser's most parts will interchange from any number of FN or Czech rifles made for South American countries.

After WWII they were sent to Reformado Fabrica de Materials de Guerra in Bogota to be converted from 7 mm Mauser to the US 30-06 and marked with "30-06 " and R FAMAGE as the arsenal converting them.
After WWII the US gave many countries surplus ammo so they often converted Mauser's to use it.

You appear to need a butt plate and screws, a rear barrel band and sling swivel, a long rear band screw that passes through the stock and band, and a stock disk.
On some military rifles a brass, nickel, or steel disk was insert in the stock.  Usually this was stamped with unit issue numbers.
You can make a substitute with a piece of brass and a brass screw.

I don't know what the hole through the pistol grip area is, I haven't seen that on one of these type rifles.

Gun Parts Corp should have most of what you need.........

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/mauser/rifles-mauser
View Quote

Thank you so much for the info!  I’ll start looking for parts. Found some parts on eBay, just wasn’t sure if they’d work on this particular model.
These are the only markings I can find on the left side:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's for a sling swivel.  It appears to be wearing a Vz. 24 stock.

Also, the OP's bolt has been modified.  Looks to have been turned down and scalloped to clear a scope.  Which track with what appears to be some additional holes drilled in the receiver for scope mounts.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
It had scope on it. The mount was so rusted I had to beat the release lever with a mallet after letting it soak with CLP for a few days.  I’ve acquired most of the missing stock parts but the hole in the wrist (not sure if that is the correct term) of the stock still has me puzzled. Most of the vz24’s have a sling mounted there but the hole on this one is round on the left side of the stock and does not match the info I’ve found.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top