Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2020 3:55:37 PM EDT
Im not sure what to do?  according to the SN#2333...  its a Winchester Sept. '43 make.  it looks good cycles very smoothly but i don't know what else i should or shouldn't look for!  my best guess is this was someones grandpappy's rifle that they've unloaded and didn't know what they had! theres so much info about trigger housing, receiver, etc..etc... i just don't know enough about them but i have always wanted one!  so.. help

thanks in advance!

btw.. the stock was dark..very dark & lots of dings

ok, just got more and good info on this piece.. its a CMP rifle, rebarreled sometime in the 50's with a LMR barrel and has a USGI stock on it.  came from a collector who is getting older and downsizing!  says the gun runs flawlessly and sits at a price of about $1350?  

WHAT DO I DO???

THANKS guys!
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally my first inspection is always the muzzle / bore size.
Internet is your friend for accomplishing this but we have some wizards who will explain properly and add a few touch points.

Pros, get in here!
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Need to know muzzle and throat erosion measurements. Anything 2+ or lower is good. Higher than that, and it may not shoot as well as you want.

How does the metal look below the stock line? Any pitting or rust? Do you see any cosmoline anywhere? Cosmo is a good sign though. Check the tab on the oprod and see how worn down it is.

Just a few things to check/ask about.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#4]
sorry guys.. i don't know anything about this or even how to do that..will google.. but its in a Gun Shop..not sure the guy is going to let me try and break it all down to inspect!  is there any way i can visually inspect this thing numbers wise to get some ideas?  i don't want to buy a lemon or some frankengun but it looks really clean and solid.. im trying to find out more info as we speak from the owner!  i want to know where it came from, was it someones family members, etc..etc.  im just not all that familiar with them..other than shooting one...that ive done.  so, im sorry im not able to give you guys those answers.. i just don't want to let "one" get away if yall know what im saying!

thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#5]
also, what's this i hear about "NOT" being able to shoot modern ammo and only "Service" ammo?  is there any truth to that?  im pretty sure the M1 i shot was not using "Service" ammo.  i know it's alot of questions..but im just not up to speed on M1's.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#6]
If the Gun shop will let you at least take it out of the stock, look on the lower right receiver leg below the wood line.  There will be  series of numbers called a Drawing Number.  For Winchesgters it will be either D28291-2 or D28291WIN-13. If there are any other Dash Numnbers(-12, -5) walk away.  It's a welded receiver. There were many fewer WIN-13 guns made, and I wouldn't mind having one.
Without taking it out of the stock, pull the op rod back and lock it back.  See if there are numbers that can be read on the barrel.  If visible, there should be a Drawing number, including letters of who made it(SA, HRA, etc), and a date when the barrel was made. More than likely the barrel will be a post war replacement. Since Garands can only be cleaned from the muzzle, and the jointed steel cleaning rods were hard on barrels, muzzle often get worn.  There are gauges to determine this.  But, new, excellent quality, commercially made Garand barrels are available, with a cost between $200 and $300.  It takes about 30 minutes to install a Garand barrel, so it's not real hard to do if one knows what they are doing.
Stocks can be easily cleaned up.  I know a lot of people want the original, battlefield look, but I prefer my stocks to look relatively nice.  The easiest way I've found to clean up a Garand stock set, is to stick it in the dishwasher.  Removes all the old ;dirty, oils, and grime.  Plus, it steams most of the dents and ding out.  Unfortunately it won't do much for gouges, and missing wood. But, a Garand purist, or enthusiast, will scream bloody murder if one mentions that. Then wipe n a couple of coats of Raw Linseed Oil(Flaxseed oil ion the supper market is the same tbhiung), Boiled Linseed Oil, or Teak Oil.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
also, what's this i hear about "NOT" being able to shoot modern ammo and only "Service" ammo?  is there any truth to that?  im pretty sure the M1 i shot was not using "Service" ammo.  i know it's alot of questions..but im just not up to speed on M1's.
View Quote
Modern ammo is fine...ensure you have a good oprod spring..I recommend Orion 7 and the rifle is properly greased and you won't have any trouble with "modern" ammo.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#9]
i really need to know what you guys think?  i don't have a lot of time left?

ok, just got more and good info on this piece.. its a CMP rifle, rebarreled sometime in the 50's with a LMR barrel and has a USGI stock on it.  came from a collector who is getting older and downsizing!  says the gun runs flawlessly and sits at a price of about $1350?
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it's a service grade then the same rifle is about $950 from the CMP.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

LMR barrels are known for their accuracy.  But, I'm not sure that the rifle is worth the price he is asking.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#12]
im trying to get more info.. the CMP tag info..gonna be about 30mins or so.  but, would it matter how long the guy had it?  maybe he had it for years.. idk, im just curious if anything like that would matter.  im not affiliated with the CMP or any other group tied to them.. i don't what would be a good price and i know i have limited info.. but thank you guys for the feedback.  i really want one but don't want to shit the bed on one either!
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:33:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Im not sure what to do?  according to the SN#2333...  its a Winchester Sept. '43 make.  it looks good cycles very smoothly but i don't know what else i should or shouldn't look for!  my best guess is this was someones grandpappy's rifle that they've unloaded and didn't know what they had! theres so much info about trigger housing, receiver, etc..etc... i just don't know enough about them but i have always wanted one!  so.. help

thanks in advance!

btw.. the stock was dark..very dark & lots of dings

WHAT DO I DO???

THANKS guys!
View Quote

I have 2332246
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Unless it has something special about it to justify the premium price, I would recommend buying a Winchester Field Grade from the CMP for $850 or a Springfield Service Grade for $750.

Buying from the CMP is easy. It is just a few hoops to jump through. Well worth it for the price they sell them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have 2332246
View Quote

Neat!  I have 2332116. Was previously a 'Dane'

$ 1350 for a shooter seems a bit steep. Go the CMP route as others have mentioned
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:35:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Neat!  I have 2332116. Was previously a 'Dane'

$ 1350 for a shooter seems a bit steep. Go the CMP route as others have mentioned
View Quote

Mine also came from Denmark, but as a stripped receiver.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Unless it has something special about it to justify the premium price, I would recommend buying a Winchester Field Grade from the CMP for $850 or a Springfield Service Grade for $750.

Buying from the CMP is easy. It is just a few hoops to jump through. Well worth it for the price they sell them.
View Quote

so, im not a member of the CMP, don't have any ranges locally that im willing to drive to or be a part of.. is there another way for guys like me?
thanks
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

so, im not a member of the CMP, don't have any ranges locally that im willing to drive to or be a part of.. is there another way for guys like me?
thanks
View Quote

CMP Requirements

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship-related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns.

No proof of marksmanship is required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship is required for all ages.

NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor). Visit http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=match&task=search to find an upcoming CMP sanctioned clinic or match.
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. – FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#20]
thanks for all the info gang!  i really do appreciate it!  im going to make an offer but not going to pay that price.  if i score ill try and post some pics!  

thanks again for all the help with limited info on my end!
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top