Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2020 12:09:29 PM EDT
I would bet this gets up here 6 times a year but my search only goes back 30 days.  I apologize for boring anyone.  Title says it all.  My newest manual is the Sierra from about the early 90's.  Looking for something more up to date either hard copy or online.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#2]
For handgun bullets especially cast bullets.....Dryflash nailed it get the Lyman 50th.

If you load Berger then get their manual.  And the same with Barnes bullets; they are a bit of different animal being solid copper with the exceptions of the Varmint and Match Burners.

Sierra has new manual out and you can get on your smart phone cheap!

The powder companies have pretty nice information.

Check bullet companies web sites for updates
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the Lyman!

But don't just stop there. Get data from as many REPUTABLE sources as possible.

I have been researching reloading 6.5x55 Swede and the data is all over the place!

Even accounting for the different pressure specs called for military vs commercial actions the charge weights varied in some circumstances by 6 grains or almost 15%!

Almost all of the bullet and powder companies now publish their loading data online for free and I highly suggest researching each cartridge you are going to load for and compile data from as many reputable sources as possible.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Lyman 50
Hornady 10
Berger

I’ll usually save as a pdf specific bullet/powder data if I only shoot one from a certain manufacturer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got the latest Hornady, Lyman, and Lee manuals.  All good reads.  If you use any of the Western Powders they have their entire manual available online. You can save it, print it, or just bookmark it.

Western Powders
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Speer
Hodgdon Powders
Western Powders - Accurate Arms
Nosler
Barnes
all have online data.

Sierra's new manual and Hornady's latest will always be in my book case. I'm a firm believer in using the manual published by your bullet manufacturer. They have an extensive history of using their products exclusively and it shows in their data.

For those who load military surplus 7.62x51mm brass the now out-of-print NRA publication "Semi-Auto Rifles - Data & Comment" is the single best source for loading heavy brass like Lake City or IMI.

Written by Wm. C. Davis Jr. and Ed Harris with his assistance they conducted over 1000 pressure tests using IMR powders and WW-748 in Lake City brass. Using U.S. government pressure testing equipment they recorded the results. Wm. C. Davis Jr. served as the USA's representative to NATO's ammunition compatibility summit's, was a ballistician his entire life serving at various US Armed Forces ammunition plants over his career. No better source can be referenced.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Get all of them

SIERRA, SPEER, HORNADY, LYMAN, etc.

sometimes, you can find them used in good condition on ebay or amazon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Speer
Hodgdon Powders
Western Powders - Accurate Arms
Nosler
Barnes
all have online data.

Sierra's new manual and Hornady's latest will always be in my book case. I'm a firm believer in using the manual published by your bullet manufacturer. They have an extensive history of using their products exclusively and it shows in their data.

For those who load military surplus 7.62x51mm brass the now out-of-print NRA publication "Semi-Auto Rifles - Data & Comment" is the single best source for loading heavy brass like Lake City or IMI.

Written by Wm. C. Davis Jr. and Ed Harris with his assistance they conducted over 1000 pressure tests using IMR powders and WW-748 in Lake City brass. Using U.S. government pressure testing equipment they recorded the results. Wm. C. Davis Jr. served as the USA's representative to NATO's ammunition compatibility summit's, was a ballistician his entire life serving at various US Armed Forces ammunition plants over his career. No better source can be referenced
View Quote
That is a great book i picked up used for just a few dollars after seing it recommended on this form ..... I don't recall who it may have been you.

Lyman 47th is what i started with many many years ago it's still one of my favorite because of the 444 marlin data in it.

Old reloading books interest me as much as the new ones.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Speer and Hornady are my go to manuals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top