Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2018 10:53:47 PM EDT
I came across something I don't see to often--when I do I don't hear of the name National Postal Meter associated with it. I have been looking online and I see some history on it. I thought I would ask you guys more about it. I will post a link to the pics. I am in talks with the person who owns it. I would love to work out a deal on it, but either way its a cool piece of history and something more for me to learn. I know the M1 was used from WWII and on into Vietnam. I'm not sure if it was used in later years or not. I have seen a few in my area and always one that I stop and look at and wish I owned one.

Pics of National Postal Meter M1 Carbine. Cool piece of history.

Is this a 1944 M1 carbine?

Tell me what you know from the pics. What kind of questions should I be asking?

I do know the original barrel has been replaced but the original barrel from Marlin is with it. So that is kind of cool. I know nothing else about it and I know not what to ask about it either.

You guys have been of great help and have brought me and my dad some joy as we get into these rifles together. It used to be cars for us both but after my dad lost his eye sight and me having a stroke we are no longer able to restore cars. This is just fun for us. This also brings back memories for him about his father who served in WWII (non combat). My grandfather was being shipped out and while in the process of being shipped out had a heart attack. It would be what killed him later in life. He was also an older man that at the time I am sure had just made the age limit. I can remember pictures of him around the house. A photo of him and other men that reminds me of a graduation picture. I need to ask some family if they have those. I'm not close to that side of the family so might be hard to do.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
It has a Herlo Co barrel on it...one of the non-chrome ones...

It may be ok but "some" of them had too slow of a twist rifling and caused tumbling bullets or poor accuracy.

A good inspection or range test is needed to see if it's a "good" barrel.

if it's a "bad" one...

figure you will need a NEW barrel and install....price the carbine accordingly....
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. I see these ranging in process. Mostly up to 1k and over. I doubt I get it but we'll see. I will try out the barrel that is on it. I wonder if old barrel was bad. If so why would it still be with the rifle?
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you. I see these ranging in process. Mostly up to 1k and over. I doubt I get it but we'll see. I will try out the barrel that is on it. I wonder if old barrel was bad. If so why would it still be with the rifle?
View Quote
A lot of times you will see the recommendation to yank the original barrel off a shooter and put a replacement on to "preserve the value/history". Look for pipe wrench marks on the Marlin bbl.

The U on the heel means it's part of the US&S subcontract, the same folks that made the 1911A1. Every part should be stamped with a subcontractor mark. Ask about those. NPM only made 4 parts, the rest were subcontracted. The stock is a birch replacement. IMO, it's just an average mixmaster carbine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A lot of times you will see the recommendation to yank the original barrel off a shooter and put a replacement on to "preserve the value/history". Look for pipe wrench marks on the Marlin bbl.

The U on the heel means it's part of the US&S subcontract, the same folks that made the 1911A1. Every part should be stamped with a subcontractor mark. Ask about those. NPM only made 4 parts, the rest were subcontracted. The stock is a birch replacement. IMO, it's just an average mixmaster carbine.
View Quote
Good info from Dracster.  I wouldn't pay any more than $650 for it "as is" and that's basically for the receiver and parts excluding the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Good info from Dracster.  I wouldn't pay any more than $650 for it "as is" and that's basically for the receiver and parts excluding the barrel.
View Quote
We couldn't reach a deal on it. I was trading my GLOCK G19 with night sights (just put on) and the gun is unfired. I think he is looking at something around $1K for it. I was thinking about that price. I am in no hurry and will take my time and search for something that I can afford when I get a little extra spending money. I just had never heard of National Postal Meter. It is interesting how many and who all made weapons during war time. I knew places like GM and Singer sewing machines. Its just really cool how everyone pulled together in effort to help during war time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
in this area , a $650 carbine mixmaster would be an old blue sky,  that was in worse than normal shape,  or it would sell in about a minute of being on display

most mixmasters (non import) go for $800 plus,   for the common makers, (double or triple that for a  IP)
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We couldn't reach a deal on it. I was trading my GLOCK G19 with night sights (just put on) and the gun is unfired. I think he is looking at something around $1K for it. I was thinking about that price. I am in no hurry and will take my time and search for something that I can afford when I get a little extra spending money. I just had never heard of National Postal Meter. It is interesting how many and who all made weapons during war time. I knew places like GM and Singer sewing machines. Its just really cool how everyone pulled together in effort to help during war time.
View Quote
NPM's were made in Rochester NY, Syracuse had Remington Rand (of typewriter fame pre-WWII) making 1911A1's, and Smith Corona making 1903A3's...
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Inland Division of General Motors started out making steering wheels and became one of the largest US gun manufacturers of WW2.
Winchester...they made some guns too.
Underwood, Elliot Fisher (or just plain ole Underwood) was a typewriter company.
National Postal Meter made mail handling equipment and scales.
Rockola made juke boxes, slot machines, pinball machines, and parking meters.
IBM made time clocks and punch card tabulating equipment.
Quality Hardware made anything they could... vacuum cleaners, vending machines, fissile material containers
Standard Products made auto parts and it's parts can still be found on cars made today.
Irwin-Pederson was formed by the Pederson device guy and the Irwin furniture family. They stunk at making carbines.
Saginaw Steering Gear of General Motors made power steering and front and rear axles, and steering columns. They made better IP carbines than IP did.

All those different backgrounds, yet, with 200 or so sub-contracters also making parts, made over 6 million carbines.

A book I just listened to compared US and Japanese GDP growth in the early war years. If 1940 was assigned a level of 100, in 1943 Japan's level was 103 and America's level was 136.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

in this area , a $650 carbine mixmaster would be an old blue sky,  that was in worse than normal shape,  or it would sell in about a minute of being on display

most mixmasters (non import) go for $800 plus,   for the common makers, (double or triple that for a  IP)
View Quote
Yeah, I was probably a little low, but definitely not more than $800 with an unknown barrel - just my opinion.  Most M1 carbines are mixmasters anyways, so you're just paying for varying degrees of "correctness".  On a NPM, you're looking at a max 4 parts made by NPM.  Winchester, IBM, and Underwood are where it gets interesting if you're going for correctness.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I found this NPM carbine at a yard sale this past April. It has a undated IMB barrel. Not all that uncommon.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I found this NPM carbine at a yard sale this past April. It has a undated IMB barrel. Not all that uncommon.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN7609__2_-528364.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN7607__2_-528365.JPG
View Quote
That is a really nice looking M1 Carbine. I can't imagine finding one at a yard sale. I need to check some of them out from time to time. I know back in the day there were yard sales here (big ones and community ones) that allowed guns but sadly they have stopped that. Private yard sales still can. I hadn't thought going to a yard sale until now.

I just put a few things for sale on EE and I hope to sell off a few items. I have a collection of first edition Stephen King books that I am going to sell too. Just the sale of those books will give me the money to buy a Garand and maybe an M1 Carbine. Depending on what I find. I have a few Vietnam era clones (built 7) and I don't need all of them so I will keep a couple and try and trade or sell off to buy other surplus guns. I found holding the Lee Enfield SMLE and Mosin Nagant that I bought, those rifles mean more to me than modern rifles. I have more of a connection with them. I like the history and just seeing the machining process of things. They are a work of art.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top