Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2021 10:29:59 AM EDT
Various mechanical contrivances have parts that attach by internal threads.

The LAW folding stock adapter is a great example, but I've even seen this design on other things, including motorcycle carburetors.

The LAW adapter has a sort of reverse castle nut that screws into the receiver shock tower, but still allows the extension on the bolt carrier to pass rearward.
The reverse castle nut takes a tool that fits into slots on the nut and you can then tighten it. The tool is simplicity itself: about 2mm thick, exactly as wide as the nut I'm describing, and with wings at the top
you can apply pressure to in order to tighten it.

What the hell is that tool called? Maybe it doesn't have a name.
I was helping a friend put together a carburetor and he had a smaller version. He called it a carburetor tool (because he didn't know the name it either).

Help a brother out here.......
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC it's actually a mossberg (I think, could be another brand) choke installation tool.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Adjustable pin spanner wrench?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#3]
"Internal spanner" is the best descriptive term for that tool.  But, like most things, there are going to be numerous sizes, differing number of pins/bars/lugs and shapes of the lugs.  Each manufacturer of the things are free to use whatever best suits their application. There is no universal accepted standard for most of them---unlike socket wrenches and their bolt heads.  That is why some of the things are adjustable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
What you are describing are various types of spanner wrenches:
https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1430
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top