Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2020 6:49:23 PM EDT
Really don't know anything about these things.

Bought this one on a whim. Looks like it may have some homemade grips on it. Someone was proud of them as they signed them. They left the body side smooth.

Is it worth it to suppress these?

Have a couple of 9mm cans already.

Will have to look for some ammo. What's some decent stuff to get?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont own one myself but I have found them interesting.

For me it's one of those "so ugly it's cool and I like it" kinda guns.

A thread dedicated to these would not hurt my feelings. I lurk around here a bit
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't, mostly cause it is a less common year an no visible import and I don't see refurb mark on it and the parts that are visible match the arsenal. Before someone did those interesting grips good chance it was a factory original pistol.

Also while neat suppressed you need to take off the front sight, and the rear is not high enough to see over most cans, so if you do suppress it you are still going to need to add a raised site if you want to hit anything with it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like it was cold blued or something as well.

I think suppressing a nagant is dumb, it's not really a good pistol to shoot, but go for it if you have something that fits it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:
Looks like it was cold blued or something as well.

I think suppressing a nagant is dumb, it's not really a good pistol to shoot, but go for it if you have something that fits it.
View Quote

I just like the idea of a threaded revolver.

It wasn't cold blued. I just wiped it down with some oil and that's my oil smear shining in the light.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By PiGood:
I wouldn't, mostly cause it is a less common year an no visible import and I don't see refurb mark on it and the parts that are visible match the arsenal. Before someone did those interesting grips good chance it was a factory original pistol. 

Also while neat suppressed you need to take off the front sight, and the rear is not high enough to see over most cans, so if you do suppress it you are still going to need to add a raised site if you want to hit anything with it.
View Quote

The import mark is there. Hard to see in those pics. It's actually tastefully done as opposed to some I see online. It's stamped on the barrel, kind of towards the underside, and not largely etched somewhere. It kind if blends with the pistol.

There sure are a lot of stamping/markings on these things. Going to try to see if I can figure out what they all are.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember AIM Surplus was selling them for $90.  Now they're in the $400 range.  IMHO, I would look for original grips, and leave it alone.

If you really want a suppressed revolver, go for it.  I've read they do well suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Colddeadhands61:
I remember AIM Surplus was selling them for $90.  Now they're in the $400 range.  IMHO, I would look for original grips, and leave it alone.

If you really want a suppressed revolver, go for it.  I've read they do well suppressed.
View Quote

I would like to suppress it but would feel bad about messing up a piece of history. That being said, there's millions of them.

I kind of like my grips. I get the impression they were made a long time ago. It appears they are a bit bigger than the factory ones and fill out the hand more. They are staying.

I have $250 into this thing. I thought that was a bit high but this was my second pistolen I purchased yesterday so I said screw it. I really don't see these for sale that often and the condition seemed good for 1936.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Can anyone tell me what all this crap means?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Considering how horrendous the trigger pull is I'd say it's hardly worth it .  Would be fun though just to have a suppressed revolver.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one threaded.  It sounds good suppressed.  I wouldn't buy one at current prices and thread it but at $99 or whatever I originally paid for it I like it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Given the gruesome trigger pull on these things I'm not sure they're worth the effort to modify.  Ammo is getting pretty scarce as well.  That one if pretty nice, I'd leave it as is.  Maybe get some correct grips.  

i had one.   Bought it on  a whim thinking it was kind of cool.  Got tired of it in fairly short order.  The shooting experience was decidedly meh.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish I would have bought one of these back when they were $90, then $120, and then again $150. Then got out of C&R for awhile and holy crap did these sky rocket along with Mosins. Never fired one, though if I find one cheap enough I may get for giggles
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Dug out mine.  Here it is with a Liberty Centurion.  I like it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one also and would like to get it threaded....
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Not a huge amount of research on M1895 markings, there are some partial guides but some of them overlap with the other standard Soviet marks.

If you want to look for more of your marks.
https://www.m9130.info/repair-depot-markings
https://www.m9130.info/markings-and-proofmarks

The ones you may be interested are the one that looks like a Square with a n, and the x. The n is a post 50s referb mark, so it was indeed refurbished at least once. The x is a pretty common mark that shows up on refurbished guns, and is believed to be a component level inspection mark, in other words proof the inspector checked the component.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not a huge amount of research on M1895 markings, there are some partial guides but some of them overlap with the other standard Soviet marks.

If you want to look for more of your marks.
https://www.m9130.info/repair-depot-markings
https://www.m9130.info/markings-and-proofmarks

The ones you may be interested are the one that looks like a Square with a n, and the x. The n is a post 50s referb mark, so it was indeed refurbished at least once. The x is a pretty common mark that shows up on refurbished guns, and is believed to be a component level inspection mark, in other words proof the inspector checked the component.
View Quote

Thanks! Doesn't sound like anything special.

Just got some ammo in for this.

Going to test fire it and if it works, I think it will head off to the threader.

Have to figure out how to remove the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, tore that barrel up getting it off. It slipped around in the vise
Looks like shit now.

Oh well, it's gonna have to work.

Sending it off to get threaded.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Duracoat!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Duracoat!
View Quote

How's that at filling in lots of deep gouges?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Just have your guy chop it down to an inch or so long and threaded
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  How's that at filling in lots of deep gouges?
View Quote

Multiple coats.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just have your guy chop it down to an inch or so long and threaded
View Quote

Hmmm. That's an option.

Sent the barrel out so I'm going to see if he says anything when he gets it. Thought I had it in the vise pretty good. Hope it's at least still round.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hmmm. That's an option.

Sent the barrel out so I'm going to see if he says anything when he gets it. Thought I had it in the vise pretty good. Hope it's at least still round.
View Quote

Howd you make out with threading the barrel?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm. That's an option.

Not sure yet.

Sent it out but haven't heard anything yet. I should send an email to check on it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

Well, all done.

Looks good as long as the pic resolution is low or you're far away from it.

Link Posted: 7/2/2020 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Neat!  Now you need an Obrez.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top