Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2019 11:58:38 AM EDT
Hey everyone I’m looking to finally get into the NVG club. I was in the army from 2006-2010 and had a set of PVS-7B and a PAQ-4C. This is my full extent of NVG knowledge, basically only using these items. I liked what I had and I’m trying to find a reputable replacement for my personal use. I see both on eBay but I hear horror stories. I’m not sure what brand or autogated vs non autogated. I don’t have a ton of money to blow either.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#1]
New ones are very expensive, out of most people's budget. I have bought two pair off of eBay used, one pair recently stopped powering on at a little over 3 years of ownership. I've not had it looked at to see if it can be fixed yet. The second pair which is going on 3 and a half years of ownership is still running fine. I got both pair for less than a thousand bucks each. Both pair have been used quite a bit by me in hog hunting and such
I have no idea what the lifespan of a brand new set is, but at $3,000 plus I'll gamble on used instead
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey everyone I’m looking to finally get into the NVG club. I was in the army from 2006-2010 and had a set of PVS-7B and a PAQ-4C. This is my full extent of NVG knowledge, basically only using these items. I liked what I had and I’m trying to find a reputable replacement for my personal use. I see both on eBay but I hear horror stories. I’m not sure what brand or autogated vs non autogated. I don’t have a ton of money to blow either.
View Quote
I’d keep an eye out for a used -7 on the EE or fleabay. Autogated  is better but I wouldn’t pass up a good non-gated one. You should be able to find one with a decent gen 3 tube for under $1,500.00. I agree with Sam, I’d rather pick a -14, IMO mainly because you can reuse the optics if you go into a bino down the road. Or if you went dual -14s there’s a bunch of dual bridge mounts. Finding a decent used -14 you’ll be somewhere $1,500 - $2,500.

To get started at the lowest cost, have the money ready to go, so when a good deal on a -7 pops up you can snag it right away. Factor in a Rhino II Mount, shroud, and bump helmet ($200-$500 depending what you find new/used). Snag a used DBAL i2 (IR/IR) and you should be all in around the $2,000-$3,000 range.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Gen3 autogated PVS7 can be found for 900-1,200 on Ebay, Facebook groups: Cool Guy Tactical or AirSoft Night Vision, TacSwap, the EE, and IMHO is the best bang for the buck Gen3 NV available. Better depth perception vs a single 14 and, you'll piss off everyone who spent thousands more for dual 14s or binos and have the same benefits of both eyes being aided.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gen3 autogated PVS7 can be found for 900-1,200 on Ebay, Facebook groups: Cool Guy Tactical or AirSoft Night Vision, TacSwap, the EE, and IMHO is the best bang for the buck Gen3 NV available. Better depth perception vs a single 14 and, you'll piss off everyone who spent thousands more for dual 14s or binos and have the same benefits of both eyes being aided.
View Quote
Your brain doesn’t see a PVS-7 and dual PVS-14s the same way.

That said, I do love me some PVS-7.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the responses. I’ve got a decent helmet and rhino mount. I can’t wait to join the cool guy club.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's not how depth perception works. Two eyes + one image is the same as one eye + one image.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Your brain doesn’t see a PVS-7 and dual PVS-14s the same way.

That said, I do love me some PVS-7.
View Quote
I guess for some people, but for me and everyone I know with NV who've had a chance to run dual 14s, binos and 7s all in the same night we've seen no real difference in shooting, depth perception, moving, navigating and driving. Of course mostly everyone said if they where to do it all over again they'd go straight to binos and skip over 7s and a 14 because they rolled. What is the difference you notice between binos vs a pvs7?
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]
What does “they rolled” mean
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Don’t waste your money on a POS 7. Go for a 14.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What does “they rolled” mean
View Quote
AKA "go big or go home", a form of "gear snobbery", or can't buy anything less due to risking being called "the poors"
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 1:59:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

AKA "go big or go home", a form of "gear snobbery", or can't buy anything less due to risking being called "the poors"
View Quote
the "poors" talk definitely gets old, but whatever...
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would recommend going with the proven PVS-14 over the -7 any night.
View Quote
This is why we can't be besties.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:23:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is why we can't be besties.
View Quote
But we sure can!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bought my pvs-14 from JRH enterprises, killer deal on it and a 10 year warranty.

A friend of mine has a gen 2 pvs-7 and gen 3 pvs 14, the difference in performance and clarity between them are flat out obvious.

My eyes aren't tuned yet for the finer details of all these different gen3 units, however seeing the difference between pvs7 gen2 vs gen3 I happily stepped up and went for it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would recommend going with the proven PVS-14 over the -7 any night.
View Quote
This. Forget the PVS7 and get a 14. Keep an eye on the EE. There have been some really good deals over the past couple of months.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Night-Vision/172/
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got my PVS 7 ITT model 5001p for $800 on eBay. They seem really sweet for the money. Brings back memories of 12 hour tower guard in Iraq. Now I just need a dbal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks man, good luck. I lucked out with this guy and made an offer as soon as he listed it. Prices have gone nuts on eBay here is one I was going to bid on. PVS7
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oof. Yeah that's a bit more than id ever consider spending on a PVS-7 but looks like a nice unit. I already have NV so it'll end up being a set for my wife/daughter to play with. May just end up piecing one together over time if I find a nice 7 format tube for cheap
View Quote
My wife doesn’t know I bought mine yet...

That’s cool dude, I can’t wait to get another set when I get some more money stacked up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 1:57:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just got my PVS 7 ITT model 5001p for $800 on eBay. They seem really sweet for the money. Brings back memories of 12 hour tower guard in Iraq. Now I just need a dbal.
View Quote
The 7 is perfect for this specific application. Probably even better than the 14.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I like my old 7's for star gazing to this day. I remember several years ago the late Art Bell show had a show on using NV to spot UFO ET types....It was nuts for a few months with some straaange calls.
View Quote
My nut job virgin uncle who lives with my grandmother lives for calls like that. He tells me all kinds of crazy shit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The 7 is perfect for this specific application. Probably even better than the 14.
View Quote
Yeah I don’t plan on being ultra tacticool, kicking down doors and such. Just wanted something that I could get my foot into the door of NV at a good price that I am familiar with.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I like my old 7's for star gazing to this day. I remember several years ago the late Art Bell show had a show on using NV to spot UFO ET types....It was nuts for a few months with some straaange calls.
View Quote
Loved Art Bell.  Very cool.....NV and Art Bell.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top