Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2018 9:34:01 PM EDT
Is there any nv device that takes standard batteries?  Need to be able to recharge batteries in a no-electricity situation and it seems that there is no way to solar a cr123.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
AA PVS-14
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a solar panel and usb battery charger setup for charging eneloops that works well, but is slow. I have some nvd's that take aaa's, as well as aa's, that I use rechargable eneloops in.

I have not tried this, though had intended to...

portable, folding solar panel ~18w
battery charger that will charge LiFePo4 3 volt tenergy rechargable rcr123a
tenergy 3v LiFePo4 rcr123a batteries

NOTE: 3v LiFePo4 are not the same as regular rechargable LiPo batteries that are rated at 3.7v, and could be as high as 4.2v freshly charged!

the only problem is, when a LiFePo4 comes fresh off the charger, it will be sitting at 3.6-3.8v. after sitting for a while, it will drop down to 3.5-3.6v, but should drop to 3.2v with use.

therefore, it would not be recommended to use freshly charged, multiple rcr123 batteries in a device. also, check with the manufacturer of your device if it will work with an initial 3.8 volts.

another problem might be that the length of these cells might be a problem, as cells with a protection circuit will be longer than regular c123 cells.

I have read of people using the 3v rcr batteries in single cell up to 2 cell flashlights. I don't think I have read of anyone using them in nvd's yet, so if you intend to use them in nvd's, check with the manufacturer first

edit - I just saw a note that said 2 cr123 cell surefires are 6v max, so don't use these rcr123a rechargables in them
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never understood this concern with NVD.  A Gen3 PVS-14 is generally rated for 10,000 hours of total life brand new with a ~50 hour life per battery.  That's about 200 lithium batteries, which go for about $1.50 a pop at batteryjunction.com.  Grand total for a lifetime supply of batteries is about $300, or 10% of the cost of the device brand new.  The whole lot would fit into a single .50cal can with room to spare.  A 20 year shelf life is the norm and there have plenty of tests to show that quality ones will provide their rated runtimes for many years after their 'expiration'.  By the time you ran through them, there would be a new world order.

Edit: there is a sale on batteryjunction.com right now if you want to stock up.  Mostly CR123a, but there is one AA option.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:15:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Do no leave batteries in you NODs

this happened to my PVS14
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#7]
and don't buy anything but lithium batteries for them
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never understood this concern with NVD.  A Gen3 PVS-14 is generally rated for 10,000 hours of total life brand new with a ~50 hour life per battery.  That's about 200 lithium batteries, which go for about $1.50 a pop at batteryjunction.com.  Grand total for a lifetime supply of batteries is about $300, or 10% of the cost of the device brand new.  The whole lot would fit into a single .50cal can with room to spare.  A 20 year shelf life is the norm and there have plenty of tests to show that quality ones will provide their rated runtimes for many years after their 'expiration'.  By the time you ran through them, there would be a new world order.

Edit: there is a sale on batteryjunction.com right now if you want to stock up.  Mostly CR123a, but there is one AA option.
View Quote
Good point but a small solar panel and some enloops are much lighter if you plan on being on foot plus have redundancy if your other gear/kit runs on AA plus I run mostly enloops to save $ before SHTF
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
and don't buy anything but lithium batteries for them
View Quote
Why is that?
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why is that?
View Quote
Lithium keeps better and doesn't leak.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If the grid goes down for long enough for quality stockpiled batteries to all be dead with no alternate solution for power in sight, you’re probably going to die from a skinned knee infection long before you get killed because you don’t have night vision.

If you’re that worried about it, and have done everything else you need to to prepare for that kind of eventuality, learn to fight at night without NODs, and make sure to teach your kids.

Otherwise, just stockpile the batteries you need and buy more every five years, or learn enough about garage electronics to build your own rechargeable power cells.

~Augee
View Quote
Agreed. I tell everyone I know to stock up on fishmox. It’s cheap and if you get the right kind it’s literally made in the same factory and doses as the human stuff. Literally. Nothing else added. Of course no one listens.

That stuff will be worth more than gold guns and most other things if there is extended shtf. And it’s nice to have around in the meantime. Vet tried charging me out the ass for some and I just used mine.

Stuff is an absolute must. Hurry. Scumbag politicians are trying to make it so you need a script.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top