Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2020 11:57:10 PM EDT
Trying to figure out what’s good in the game of nightvision compatible optics.  I plan on building an SBR and was looking at the Eotech (again, got rid

of my exps3-2 a few years ago), or a Trijicon product.  Are those LED ACOGS worth a damn besides the price. I own 3 4x32 already so I’m used to the

picture, but magnified optics while wearing a 14 or BNVDs might not be helpful.  Also, is the MRO NV compatible?  Nothing I can find indicates it is.  

Sorry for all the newbie questions here.  Also plan on picking up a surefire m300v vampire light, but not sure if needed due to already having a dbal d2.  

Gun will be supressed with a YHM turbo k or phantom Ti.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Trying to shoot passively through a magnified optics is near impossible to use with head mounted NV. As far as the MRO it is NV capable with 2 settings, but you can use regular RDS on their lowest setting, just don't stare at it for long durations. IMHO the Comp/Pro series RDS are the best due to the ability to quickly roll the rheostat very quickly if your lighting suddenly changes.

If you already have a D2 there is no real need for a vampire, so I'd just go with a good white light instead.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:04:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I've shot my MRO with a helmet mounted PVS-14. It has 2 nvg modes, and it works, but I would not want to make a habit of using it like that. You will probably be happier with the Eotech, although if you have the DBAL you will probably using that more than either optic

Order of preference on optics:
Eotech > ITL MARS > MRO > Aimpoint
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:13:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a ta02 led acog and it's just too awkward to shoot through passively. You need to adjust your focus plus use a strong illuminator to see anything. EXPS3 is a great passive aim optic you wont be disappointed with that choice.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Shooting through an ACOG is easier with a version with a massive eyebox like the TA33 or TA11 and even then it is still awkward.

Go with a non magnified optic, IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the words here folks.  Still think8ng on the mro Patrol with a ADM nightvision height mount.  I got rid of my Eotech for a multitude of reasons and not sure I should get one again honestly.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot with just about everything. That said I love the eotech.

Big window, great reticle. It’s my favorite for passive shooting.

Also love a rmr on top of an acog for passive shooting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:16:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kersty52:
Thanks for the words here folks.  Still think8ng on the mro Patrol with a ADM nightvision height mount.  I got rid of my Eotech for a multitude of reasons and not sure I should get one again honestly.
View Quote

I got rid of my first eotech when they did the voluntary recall. Bought an MRO with the money.

I now have 3 more eotechs, I think for night vision it is a better optic than the MRO.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Sam:
Whispers in Aimpoint
View Quote

I suppose I could pull out the old M3 to put on it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I can squeeze behind my Aimpoints with Lower 1/3 mounts but it's not comfortable.   However, my most recent build has a T2 on a Unity Fast mount and it's very obvious right away that Unity had passive night vision shooting in mind when designed.  To be honest I'm not disliking using it for normal heads up shooting during daylight as well. The height over bore offset is larger at close range but I find that I'm looking straight forward more than with my Lower 1/3s where my head is more down and my eyes are in a more upward angle.  Not a severe angle mind you but is there.  The only position I've gotten into that looks to be the Achilles heel of the Fast mount is prone shooting but that really isn't what is was designed for.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Eotech reticle is very crisp under night vision. Better than the day for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Are any of the options reasonable as a canted sight for passive aiming while still being able to keep the LPVO?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ashiha:
Are any of the options reasonable as a canted sight for passive aiming while still being able to keep the LPVO?
View Quote

A T1, T2, RMO, or RMR works well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MunnyShot:

A T1, T2, RMO, or RMR works well.
View Quote

Does the concept itself work well, or is it generally too low/too close to the LPVO? Really hoping to get the best of both worlds at the sacrifice of a little weight and cost.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Does the concept itself work well, or is it generally too low/too close to the LPVO? Really hoping to get the best of both worlds at the sacrifice of a little weight and cost.
View Quote

What scope are you using (or thinking of using)?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:39:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Tried many. Keep going right back to my EOTech on the rifle - never found a better sight for day and night. No fooling around necessary in advance. The dot is nice and tiny, and the field is wide and easy to get behind.
Have an Aimpoint T2 on a large pistol and it's great in that application.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:46:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Tikiman001:

What scope are you using (or thinking of using)?
View Quote

Razor Gen 3 1-10 or something similar. Haven't decided yet, but am fairly confident I want to go the LPVO route.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:43:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Razor Gen 3 1-10 or something similar. Haven't decided yet, but am fairly confident I want to go the LPVO route.
View Quote

It could work.

For the 34mm scopes the Reptilia ROF-45 for the RMR is an option option, you would have to use a Geissle mount. I think there is also one that clamps to the scope body, but can't remember the name.

Here is the possible hang-up, are you going to use a clip-on in conjunction with the Razor?

Depending on the clip-on I would be concerned with any offset red dot possibly being obscured.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:55:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Does the concept itself work well, or is it generally too low/too close to the LPVO? Really hoping to get the best of both worlds at the sacrifice of a little weight and cost.
View Quote

There are different height mounts so there is options. I run a T1 on a DD 1 O' clock mount where my BUIS use to live and it works great for my application.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:20:20 AM EDT
[#20]

It could work.

For the 34mm scopes the Reptilia ROF-45 for the RMR is an option option, you would have to use a Geissle mount. I think there is also one that clamps to the scope body, but can't remember the name.

Here is the possible hang-up, are you going to use a clip-on in conjunction with the Razor?

Depending on the clip-on I would be concerned with any offset red dot possibly being obscured.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It could work.

For the 34mm scopes the Reptilia ROF-45 for the RMR is an option option, you would have to use a Geissle mount. I think there is also one that clamps to the scope body, but can't remember the name.

Here is the possible hang-up, are you going to use a clip-on in conjunction with the Razor?

Depending on the clip-on I would be concerned with any offset red dot possibly being obscured.

No clip-on. Thanks for the recommendation!

Originally Posted By MunnyShot:

There are different height mounts so there is options. I run a T1 on a DD 1 O' clock mount where my BUIS use to live and it works great for my application.

Thank you to you both! I'm going to proceed with the notion that it works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top