Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2020 12:00:18 PM EDT
I am starting to dip my toes into NV, and have a concern. My uncorrected vision in the left eye is 20/400, and corrected is 20/200. Basically nothing but peripheral vision on the left side. I am unsure if I should go with a hand held or skull crusher mounted mono.

Anyone with similar issues like to chime in? Lasik isnt an option, the central portion of the optic nerve never developed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Head mounted is your best option due to being hands free. For something light weight and packable a Crye Night Cap is a better option than a skull crusher, but a bump will offer more protection.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The bright side is you save $$$...you only need 1 tube

I also have zero vision in my left eye....I run a pvs14.  Hand held sometimes and head mounted sometimes.  I would recommend a bump helmet over a skull crusher...they are called that for a reason and not comfortable for long stretches.

Do NOT skip on the variable gain.  For someone in our situation, the gain can be more useful IMO.  Like when hiking I try to run it on a lower gain as I find I get better situational awareness in my peripheral (this is a normal practice...but even more important when you don't have a second unaided eye to stay adapted to the dark environment)....there are times I crank the gain as well, but many times I am glad to be able to turn it down.

I would also recommend to get the cleanest tube possible, I have found for me it makes a difference (maybe moreso then someone with good vision in both eyes).. when you are down to 1 you want the cleanest image in the one you got...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top