Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
10/30/2020 2:42:12 PM
Posted: 11/20/2020 11:00:18 AM EST
I am starting to dip my toes into NV, and have a concern. My uncorrected vision in the left eye is 20/400, and corrected is 20/200. Basically nothing but peripheral vision on the left side. I am unsure if I should go with a hand held or skull crusher mounted mono.

Anyone with similar issues like to chime in? Lasik isnt an option, the central portion of the optic nerve never developed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:13:30 AM EST
Head mounted is your best option due to being hands free. For something light weight and packable a Crye Night Cap is a better option than a skull crusher, but a bump will offer more protection.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:23:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2020 11:28:19 AM EST by Heineken]
The bright side is you save $$$...you only need 1 tube

I also have zero vision in my left eye....I run a pvs14.  Hand held sometimes and head mounted sometimes.  I would recommend a bump helmet over a skull crusher...they are called that for a reason and not comfortable for long stretches.

Do NOT skip on the variable gain.  For someone in our situation, the gain can be more useful IMO.  Like when hiking I try to run it on a lower gain as I find I get better situational awareness in my peripheral (this is a normal practice...but even more important when you don't have a second unaided eye to stay adapted to the dark environment)....there are times I crank the gain as well, but many times I am glad to be able to turn it down.

I would also recommend to get the cleanest tube possible, I have found for me it makes a difference (maybe moreso then someone with good vision in both eyes).. when you are down to 1 you want the cleanest image in the one you got...
Top Top