Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2021 8:31:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan]
Finally.  Got my M2 exactly where I want it.

You may remember the origin story, or thefollow-up chronicling the custom-made +1 extension, or even the thread where I added a QD sling socket.

First, here's what I started with.

DSC_1663-M2 Before by FredMan, on Flickr

After some homework I shipped it off to Rose Action Sports, owned by our very own @GunCat, and got it chopped to 12.75".  

DSC_1685-M2 ShellUp by FredMan, on Flickr

All was well in the world.  Except I wanted to increase capacity, and screeched something to that effect in a couple threads.

Along and about, I was contacted by GunCat with a proposal:  If I provided a suitable extension tube, he'd cut it down and thread it to whatever length I needed.  Well!  Off to Nordic Components!

They only had a +7 in 20 ga.

M2 SBS Nordic Plus 7 by FredMan, on Flickr

And back after another fine chop & thread job by Guncat!

M2 SBS +1 by FredMan, on Flickr

Unfortunately, the Nordic extension doesn't accommodate a sling stud like the factory end cap.  I use the sling regularly for turkey hunting; gotta figure something out.  I ended up getting a MagPul QD socket and just mounting it on the end cap.

Sling Attached by FredMan, on Flickr

It worked, but I've never been happy about it.  Too much yank on the sling and I could end up ripping the socket out or messing up the end cap.  I finally reached out to GunCat again, asking if he could figure out a solution for me, and he showed me a flush-mount QD socket Noveske makes!  Holy Cow!  This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for!  All you have to do is drill out the end cap hole and screw it together!  So I boxed  up the extension and sent it off to RAS.

Today, the nice man in the brown truck brought it back.

Behold, the completed 20 ga M2 SBS, with +1 and QD!

M2 SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

M2 +1 Muzzle Profile by FredMan, on Flickr

M2 +1 Muzzle Oblique by FredMan, on Flickr

M2 +1 Muzzle Front by FredMan, on Flickr

M2 +1 Muzzle Sling Detail by FredMan, on Flickr

As always, thanks Guncat and all the rest at Rose Action Sports!
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Looking good
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I dig it!
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
That is the tits, right there. Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks great! Makes me want one
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Great looking Shotty!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By usmcmp:
Great looking Shotty!
View Quote

It shoots pretty good too...

DSC_5312-Turkey SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Coyote SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Gobbler Place of Kill 20190428 by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey M2 SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Quail SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

M2 SBS Rooster by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Did it end up a 4+1 or a 5+1?

It looks great!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Multi tool, very nice.
Those are healthy looking birds.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Voland:
Did it end up a 4+1 or a 5+1?

It looks great!
View Quote

Right now it's a 4+1.  Pondering the ghost load mod to the carrier which would make it 4+1+1.

It's possible I could clip a few coils off the spring and fit 5 2-3/4 shells in the tube, the 5th shell right now is about .25" from fitting past the latch.  Thing is, I don't want to clip the spring and make it too short and have feeding issues.  Maybe I just need to get a new spring and experiment.  Or maybe just use the factory spring and see how well it feeds.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember your thread on the mag extension. I am glad you were able to work it out and get the gun were you wanted it. She looks great.

My wife bought me for Xmas a used M2 left hand. I am waiting to hear back from Benelli which model of M2 it is and which barrel length it left the factory with. I plan on getting a magazine extension to bring it as close to flush with the barrel as i can get. I am hoping to get 9+1 out of it.

I am waiting on the ATF to approve me bringing home my M1 Entry, factory SBS with a 14 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, I don't think there's going to be any way to get 5 2-3/4 shells in the tube.  

The factory spring (for a 3 shell tube) is 21"long.  The spring that came with the Nordic +7 extension, and which I cut down to accomodate the conversion to +1 is 23".

Even with the shorter factory spring I can only get 4 shells in the tube (still short by about 1/4"), and there's no way I'm going to cut a spring to less than the factory length.

Now that it's done I'm thinking maybe it's NOT done.

Next items on the wishlist are:
-Ghost load mod through filing the rear notch on the carrier.

-Upgraded charging handle.  I've got a GGG handle on my 12 ga M2, and it works fine (and fits the 20 ga), but looking at it it just seems like the shaft could just snap right off.  Long moment arm relative to the diameter of the shaft.  The factory handle has a wide flat section before it goes to the round shaft and that extra width, parallel to the applied force, seems to be much stronger.

GGG handle:
Attachment Attached File

-Supressor!  This is probably never going to happen, and I don't know how the extra weight would affect the inertia action, but man that would be tits.  I've asked SilencerCo about a 20 ga Salvo and it ain't happening, and I can't find a 20 ga-12 ga adapter either.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nice shotgun!
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Love it. Nice work.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Nordic makes a QD endcap but you'll loose that +1 capacity you needed.

In the 10" configuration, it actually still swings nicely if you're already used to the longer barrel before.

But great looking rig!

I like how your barrel has more ribs than mine and it was cut at 12" too
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:53:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#17]

Originally Posted By nj0ywatch1np0rn:
Nordic makes a QD endcap but you'll loose that +1 capacity you needed.
https://i.imgur.com/wku91d6m.jpg

In the 10" configuration, it actually still swings nicely if you're already used to the longer barrel before.
https://i.imgur.com/LxLECa1m.jpg

But great looking rig!

I like how your barrel has more ribs than mine and it was cut at 12" too
View Quote

I got the Noveske QD socket.  Doesn't interfere with my +1 capacity.  I'm about 1/2" shy of being able to get +2 in there, even tried a shorter spring and no dice.

But now that I think about it, I DO still have the chopped off part of the Nordic +7 tube, and I DO know this guy who might be able to cut to size and thread both ends...

Hm....

My barrel is cut at 12.75", right at the end of one of the rib supports.  You're rib hangs back so far as that's where the next rib support was.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#18]
RAS did the barrel on my A5.

Awesome crew over there.

Nice scatter gun you got there!

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MCW:
RAS did the barrel on my A5.

Awesome crew over there.

Nice scatter gun you got there!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/317376/20200428_162519-1390856.jpg
View Quote

Sexy...
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

Sexy...
View Quote

Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top