Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 27
Posted: 1/22/2018 2:38:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon]
EVERYONE WHO HAS PENDING NFA TRANSFERS, CALL AND GET A STATUS. IF THEY SAY FBI BACKGROUND IS THE WAIT, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!!

I work at a class 3 dealer and we just ran into a problem a few weeks back with the NFA and FBI delaying background checks on transfers. This one was mailed in. Our customer has had a Form 4 pending since Aug. 2016, the NFA says they are waiting on the FBI to do a background check. They refuse to tell us any details because we are not allowed to speak for the customer. Seems kind of a convenient way to tell him BS that wouldn't pass off on a shop. We'll after he when back and forth with the FBI, they finally told him it's the ATF's problem, handle it with them. A supervisor at the NFA (They seems to never give names, no responsibility taken), he was told they didn't even have a submission and he need to redo the whole process from the start. Well calling the standard NFA line, we confirmed this was also BS because they still had him pending as of Aug. 2016. We contacted our district US representative and got the information to "file a complaint". We'll the customer opted not to do this and just (re)submit.

We'll we just had another customer call and get the same response. This one was submitted through Silencer Shop electronic submission. Oh boy, here we go again. 2 forms pending as of April 2017, FBI delay, blah blah blah. I can tell everyone trying to handle this with either of the two agencies will yield nothing but frustration and lost time. Contact your US rep from your district, we have an A+ NRA rated guy, so we are lucky in having him. But don't waste time trying to get those two pack of morons to figure it out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
A congressional inquiry will get shit figured out FAST, certain things make GS emplyoees jump, congress critters offices calling asking questions makes them jump.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:
A congressional inquiry will get shit figured out FAST, certain things make GS emplyoees jump, congress critters offices calling asking questions makes them jump.
View Quote
i can vouch for this. while i can't confirm it sped up, mine a few years ago i contacted by Senator and less than 30 days later i have 4 stamps arrive at my dealer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
i figured this would happen. I’ve been pending FBI since mid December. I just sent an email to my rep, so we will see how this goes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 6:43:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#4]
As soon as your Congress-critter gets a brush-off follow that with an inquiry through your Senator.

Congress (both houses) pays the executive branch's bills.  Nothing like your Congress-people getting a brush-off from the guys who they pay and who fund agency operating budgets.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
You're spreading complete BS around the forums lol, there are endless cases of people being under "background check" for under 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By OxygenThief:
EVERYONE WHO HAS PENDING NFA TRANSFERS, CALL AND GET A STATUS. IF THEY SAY FBI BACKGROUND IS THE WAIT, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!!

I work at a class 3 dealer and we just ran into a problem a few weeks back with the NFA and FBI delaying background checks on transfers. This one was mailed in. Our customer has had a Form 4 pending since Aug. 2016, the NFA says they are waiting on the FBI to do a background check. They refuse to tell us any details because we are not allowed to speak for the customer. Seems kind of a convenient way to tell him BS that wouldn't pass off on a shop. We'll after he when back and forth with the FBI, they finally told him it's the ATF's problem, handle it with them. A supervisor at the NFA (They seems to never give names, no responsibility taken), he was told they didn't even have a submission and he need to redo the whole process from the start. Well calling the standard NFA line, we confirmed this was also BS because they still had him pending as of Aug. 2016. We contacted our district US representative and got the information to "file a complaint". We'll the customer opted not to do this and just (re)submit.

We'll we just had another customer call and get the same response. This one was submitted through Silencer Shop electronic submission. Oh boy, here we go again. 2 forms pending as of April 2017, FBI delay, blah blah blah. I can tell everyone trying to handle this with either of the two agencies will yield nothing but frustration and lost time. Contact your US rep from your district, we have an A+ NRA rated guy, so we are lucky in having him. But don't waste time trying to get those two pack of morons to figure it out.
View Quote
What was the reason for the delay? Also if you don't mind me asking what shop was this? was it Tarheel State Firearms?

IM me if you don't want to post it publicly, Thanks

@OxygenThief
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:
I can almost guarantee you it's not THSF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:
What was the reason for the delay? Also if you don't mind me asking what shop was this? was it Tarheel State Firearms?

IM me if you don't want to post it publicly, Thanks
I can almost guarantee you it's not THSF.
Great news, hoping I have my AEM5 by march

Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a form 4 individual out pending since august of 2016.  It has been out for FBI check for 3 months now I believe.  I have multiple NFA items some of which were purchased after this item and cleared long before it.  Apparently something came up on the instacheck that required a human being to stamp off on it.  The ATF person I talked to about it said that the FBI is required to get firearms turned around within a short window I think its 3 days.  If they don't get the check done the purchaser is able to leave with the item.  This is not the case for a suppressor.  They sit at the end of the list.  They claimed record level back ground checks to be the issue..

Again form 4 individual pending august 2016 still not cleared and has been under fbi back ground check for 3 months now.  Had a Dec 2016 pending form that cleared in Aug of 2017.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JessBrie:
I have a form 4 individual out pending since august of 2016.  It has been out for FBI check for 3 months now I believe.  I have multiple NFA items some of which were purchased after this item and cleared long before it.  Apparently something came up on the instacheck that required a human being to stamp off on it.  The ATF person I talked to about it said that the FBI is required to get firearms turned around within a short window I think its 3 days.  If they don't get the check done the purchaser is able to leave with the item.  This is not the case for a suppressor.  They sit at the end of the list.  They claimed record level back ground checks to be the issue..

Again form 4 individual pending august 2016 still not cleared and has been under fbi back ground check for 3 months now.  Had a Dec 2016 pending form that cleared in Aug of 2017.
View Quote
So over 17 months and no approval? WTF?
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
I have no idea if the shut down did anything to added time.  I was explained that it isn't a universal problem.  There will still be a majority of tax stamps cleared without additional delay but if for any reason you get a flag the fbi check goes from what used to be a few days to suddenly you are in limbo.  No one seems to believe me when I tell them this Im glad to see someone else is posting the issue.  There is no oversight on the issue and it will have an effect on so few people no one is gonna fight to get it fixed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m waiting on two items that have early April 2017 check cash dates that have been pending background  checks since November.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I have no idea if the shut down did anything to added time.  I was explained that it isn't a universal problem.  There will still be a majority of tax stamps cleared without additional delay but if for any reason you get a flag the fbi check goes from what used to be a few days to suddenly you are in limbo.  No one seems to believe me when I tell them this Im glad to see someone else is posting the issue.  There is no oversight on the issue and it will have an effect on so few people no one is gonna fight to get it fixed.
View All Quotes

That’s concerning. I have a 4/15/17 check cashed cashed form 4 individual. Been “pending fbi check” for 2 months now. Have had 3 or 4 submitted a month after or more returned but not that one. What’s there to do?
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By taymag:
You're spreading complete BS around the forums lol, there are endless cases of people being under "background check" for under 2 weeks.
View Quote
So you're arguing that since they clear a lot of people in under 2 weeks, my customers who have been under review for several months are lying?
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#15]

So you're arguing that since they clear a lot of people in under 2 weeks, my customers who have been under review for several months are lying?
View Quote
No, I'm arguing that "IF THEY SAY FBI BACKGROUND IS THE WAIT, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!!" when you dont have a problem, some take more time than others.

You're telling people because your one customer has a long wait that everyone (probably half the people that call) have a problem with their submission because its pending background check? lol come on

Your second example is someone with April 2017 pending dates lol I would hardly call that "A PROBLEM". Pre 41f I had forms I would submit together and get approved 2 months apart, wasn't a PROBLEM then, isn't a PROBLEM now
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:52:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfox3] [#16]
I submitted four form 4s in Sept 2016.

Approved: 7/27/2017
Received: 8/26/2017 (dealer actually got the stamps 4 days prior)
Still missing one item sent on the same day as the other three

The missing one is on the "FBI background check" status.

ETA: Trust
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AKDoc:

That’s concerning. I have a 4/15/17 check cashed cashed form 4 individual. Been “pending fbi check” for 2 months now. Have had 3 or 4 submitted a month after or more returned but not that one. What’s there to do?
View Quote
We are getting electronic submits back in 4-6 months, mail-ins are seeing 10-12. The only ones that are over a year, have this FBI problem attached. These are just the ones n my radar. With the volume we move, how many more will I discover in the next couple of months. And the Aug 2016 customer is the first time this has happened in my 10 years working as a class 3 dealer, so this is a newer problem.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By taymag:

No, I'm arguing that "IF THEY SAY FBI BACKGROUND IS THE WAIT, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!!" when you dont have a problem, some take more time than others.

You're telling people because your one customer has a long wait that everyone (probably half the people that call) have a problem with their submission because its pending background check? lol come on

Your second example is someone with April 2017 pending dates lol I would hardly call that "A PROBLEM". Pre 41f I had forms I would submit together and get approved 2 months apart, wasn't a PROBLEM then, isn't a PROBLEM now
View Quote
So how many NFA transfers have you done ever? I've been involved in 20 this month alone. I know how long these things take because I deal with it on a day to day basis. That's my job. April 2017 guy did his through Silencer Shop, now he's outside the standard range and that's odd. The first guy is 17 months out, as another on here is also. That's extremely odd. And there are dozens of other people on other forums with the same problem. Way out of date timelines.  It was only about 4 months ago was the first time they ever even said FBI delay is the reason. Before that, it was received and pending as of date X. So this is a new problem, some breakdown in the system. And it reflects bad on my business if I just throw my hands up and say oh well. All I was doing is warning others to keep an eye out for this same thing. Some people are more patient than others and might not ever figure out they may never get to possess an item they rightfully paid for. But I guess screw it, it's just a bunch of BS right?
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#19]

So how many NFA transfers have you done ever? I've been involved in 20 this month alone. I know how long these things take because I deal with it on a day to day basis. That's my job. April 2017 guy did his through Silencer Shop, now he's outside the standard range and that's odd. The first guy is 17 months out, as another on here is also. That's extremely odd. And there are dozens of other people on other forums with the same problem. Way out of date timelines.  It was only about 4 months ago was the first time they ever even said FBI delay is the reason. Before that, it was received and pending as of date X. So this is a new problem, some breakdown in the system. And it reflects bad on my business if I just throw my hands up and say oh well. All I was doing is warning others to keep an eye out for this same thing. Some people are more patient than others and might not ever figure out they may never get to possess an item they rightfully paid for. But I guess screw it, it's just a bunch of BS right?
View Quote
Wait times being longer than normal and more sporadic, true (even that is only true to an extent, they've been like this before).... Telling people they have a problem with their submission and they may never possess an item they paid for because its 2 months past the normal, yes complete BS
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#20]
So has someone actually asked NFA branch if PENDING or PENDING BACKGROUND CHECK is a different status?

IMO it's the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By r-2-k-b-a:
So has someone actually asked NFA branch if PENDING or PENDING BACKGROUND CHECK is a different status?

IMO it's the same thing.
View Quote
It is not.  Pending means they have cashed your check and you are on the pile.  FBI check is if there is any reason at all they decide to manually look at your NICS info you go into a new pile.  Most NICS are pretty much instant.  There have been multiple reports of people with dozens of cans having one randomly held up for this reason.  You wouldn't know if you didn't regularly check up on it.  I have heard of others that are still inside of a year that happened to call in for status to find the form was stuck at that stage.  For me it has been in the pipe way too long so I have been watching it closer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I checked on mine a few days before this thread. The lady said it was pending.

If it was pending the fbi check, would she had said that or would I of had to ask specifically?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By swampvol:
I checked on mine a few days before this thread. The lady said it was pending.

If it was pending the fbi check, would she had said that or would I of had to ask specifically?
View Quote
They will specify.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I just got another stamp back from early July but I’m still missing my mid April check cashed date that is “pending FBI Check”. Has anybody had one of these actually approved at all since getting the background check answer? I’m wondering if I should try to cancel and resubmit or something if it’s truly in limbo for an undetermined amount of time. Any more stories on this from people?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Anybody?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#26]
June/July submissions.  2 form 4 1 form 1.  Pending FBI background check.  all three approved last week
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By abud:
June/July submissions.  2 form 4 1 form 1.  Pending FBI background check.  all three approved last week
View Quote
Individual or trust?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Any idea when they went pending fbi?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#29]
So, do we know exactly what the pending fbi thing is, or are we kinda taking our best guesses?  Another thread in this forum stated it is a way to punt on individual forms and push the trusts.  I am genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Individual or trust?
View All Quotes
Individual or trust?
individual
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
about a month ago is when i first checked and was told about it
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Yesterday (Jan 30) I got my Form 4 submitted on Aug 9.  175 days from sending it in to getting it back approved.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By cool-e:
Yesterday (Jan 30) I got my Form 4 submitted on Aug 9.  175 days from sending it in to getting it back approved.
View Quote
Do you understand the issue we are discussing and understand that it clearly didn't apply to you.  There are a small number of form 4s that are required to be reviewed by a human being at the FBI and that small number is being neglected and is adding up.  This seems to be semi random.  Most of the people I have talked to with a similar issue have other NFA items and have never had an issue like this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#34]
So I’ll chime in on this.  I’ve had a form 4 pending since May 2017.  I called last week and was told pending status. I called again earlier this week and was told the fbi background check story.  I called back yesterday morning because I was curious how long this fbi bs would last.   I was told anywhere from several weeks at the least to several months.  I confirmed this was for a background check,  the same one you go through to purchase a firearm in a matter of minutes I assume.  I got fired up and sent emails to both my senators and my representative yesterday on my lunch break.  I explained how pissed I was that I can walk into a gun shop and purchase all the guns I want,  pass the background check, walk out with my new guns, and barely break stride but I had to deal with this crap for a glorified muffler. I also urged them to support legislation to treat suppressor purchases like firearm purchases.

I called the nfa back today and I was approved ??
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Pcola58:
So I’ll chime in on this.  I’ve had a form 4 pending since May 2017.  I called last week and was told pending status. I called again earlier this week and was told the fbi background check story.  I called back yesterday morning because I was curious how long this fbi bs would last.   I was told anywhere from several weeks at the least to several months.  I confirmed this was for a background check,  the same one you go through to purchase a firearm in a matter of minutes I assume.  I got fired up and sent emails to both my senators and my representative yesterday on my lunch break.  I explained how pissed I was that I can walk into a gun shop and purchase all the guns I want,  pass the background check, walk out with my new guns, and barely break stride but I had to deal with this crap for a glorified muffler. I also urged them to support legislation to treat suppressor purchases like firearm purchases.

I called the nfa back today and I was approved ??
View Quote
Lucky, but I highly doubt one thing swayed the other.  I wrote my state rep two weeks ago, have sent emails, talked to examiner numerous times with no result.  Hell ive tried to get through to FBI NICS about 30times and its the same automated message everytime
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Pcola58:
I explained how pissed I was that I can walk into a gun shop and purchase all the guns I want,  pass the background check, walk out with my new guns, and barely break stride but I had to deal with this crap for a glorified muffler.
View Quote
That's ridiculous.

Hell, where I'm at there isn't any background check for a gun if you possess a CC license.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I called on mine and just found out I was approved yesterday for a check cashed 4/15/17 and pending FBI check for over 2 months. Finally!
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 2:49:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TacticalHeater] [#38]
I'm trying to help a friend out with the same issue.

His checks (four suppressors, mailed individual form 4) were cashed August 2016.   NFA just keeps telling him that it's going through the background check... and it's been like this for months now.   They finally gave him a number to call that doesn't appear to be working.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Do you understand the issue we are discussing and understand that it clearly didn't apply to you.  There are a small number of form 4s that are required to be reviewed by a human being at the FBI and that small number is being neglected and is adding up.  This seems to be semi random.  Most of the people I have talked to with a similar issue have other NFA items and have never had an issue like this.
View Quote
I have a friend with 8 pending transfers.  Some going on 15 months.  He cannot seem to get an answer.  At one point the examiner told him on one transfer he had to fill out a form 5320 even though the gun is a C&R gun and he has a C&R license.  They then disapproved the form after telling him it was required for his situation.  He still does not know what they want, although FBI backgrounds check delays were mentioned at least once.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By cool-e:
View Quote
That's nice, mine took 15 months.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, just called the NFA again and now theyre saying that theyre waiting on the background check.

No mention of this when I called 2 weeks ago. They only said it was pending.

Pisses me off, especially since most of July/Aug (mine Aug. 24 check cashed) individual form 4's are coming in.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#42]
just wondering how you know most of the July/Aug are coming in now ? there are still some coming in from last year.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:02:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swampvol] [#43]
Originally Posted By shadycoh:
just wondering how you know most of the July/Aug are coming in now ? there are still some coming in from last year.
View Quote
Post-41 Group Therapy

I shouldn't say most, as that thread is only a sample size, but a lot of the july/aug individual forms in that thread are coming in.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#44]
I do love the people that come into these threads and say:

"Filed a Form X, check cashed Y, Approved Z".. lol...

Something happened to a group of April 2017 Form 4 Individual submissions.. I've read through what seems like 1,000 threads on nfatracker, reddit, ar15.com, etc.. on this "Pending FBI" crap and there the reoccurring theme is the April 2017 check cashed. I'm not saying there aren't pre-april 2017 and post-april 2017 people still waiting, but there's far more April 2017'ers complaining.

I'm in the April 2017 boat and have been told "Pending FBI background check" for months now... I've had form 4's approved before and after April 2017.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#45]
You probably have NOTHING to worry about. It's much more likely, after reading through many of these threads, that you'll be approved right away.

If you're still "pending FBI" after several months, then you're screwed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I called on an April 2017 trust submission and was told just pending.  I asked if it dealt with FBI background check and just got told pending.

I have 13 NFA items on my trust, 10 months is not acceptable, let alone 15-17 months.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Finally got my early April submission, stuck in 'FBI background check" stamp back yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#48]
That's great to hear Akdoc. I also have an april f4 ind. that's been pending fbi forever.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
I called on an April 2017 trust submission and was told just pending.  I asked if it dealt with FBI background check and just got told pending.

I have 13 NFA items on my trust, 10 months is not acceptable, let alone 15-17 months.
View Quote
Same. Just called on an April Trust submission.  Checked cashed 5-19
Pending
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Form 4 Trust with two RPs- Check cashed 1/26/17.  Been in FBI check land since around Septemeber 2017.  Sometimes they say "just waiting on the FBI BG check", others it's simply "pending".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top