Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2021 12:10:49 AM EDT
Does any one know of a fabric treatment or "spray" that would work similar to how UV killer works on hunting cloths.  I've read Hyperstealth's page about trying "Aqua Net" hair spray as a clear coating to reduce IR reflective properties of certain fabrics.  There has got to be something out there more weatherproof than Aqua Net  hair spray without resorting to Krylon (solid color) spray paint.  May be a light  Rit Dye color treatment more towards the blue/green spectrum?  Browns having more red  seem to be the worst due to being closer to the red spectrum with Green being the least of the offenders.

5.11, Tru-Spec and Propper offer so much in 65/35 polycot you would think there is something out there after market other than resorting the 50/50 NYCO etc. out the gate.  

Any ideas from down range guys or is there a chemist in the house?

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert on fabric stuff, but I think if no brighteners have ever been used on "military" camo fabric then there's really nothing that can be done to improve it. It should already be as non-reflective as it can get, and if you only wash it using detergent without UV dyes or optical brighteners then it'll remain that way.

That's my limited understanding anyway.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:32:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Doing some digging on high tech stuff I found this but your not going to buy it at the local DIY big box store.  I'm wondering if a combination of Aqua Net  1st coat then Krylon clear 2nd coat (to seal it ) might be the best option.

Scotchgard and or silicon water proofing may have an effect .  

The quest continues for an overt the counter product.

https://www.epolin.com/product/3801

Epolight™ 3801 or 5547(has more absorption in the 700nm range)
View Data Sheet
Description

Excellent visible light transmission

Good thermal stability

Good solubility

Suitable for coatings
Properties

Absorption maximum, lambda max: 855nm

Absorptivity in acetone: 18 L g-1 cm-1

Appearance: Green powder

Solubility in grams/100 grams of solvent:

Acetone >10 grams                

Chloroform 0.060 grams      

Ethyl acetate 0.050 grams

MEK >10 grams

Xylene <0.750 grams

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top