Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 145
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I just upgraded my IR patches. It only required gastrointestinal pain...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cajer:

Do you happen to remember the helmet model/what type of mount you used?  As for example the one which I linked (and have) is basically 100% Styrofoam, so there's no where solid for the ratchet to anchor.

I haven't mountain biked with NV before, but I have used ANVIS-9's at work before and was able to get around quite nicely.  I also do race MTB at night, and with the older lighting systems your field is view is already quite narrow.  It shouldn't be worse with NVG's, and I felt that I had enough depth perception with binos at work.  I will eventually get a 2nd PVS-14 to make a bino set, but I wonder how a monocular setup would work.
View Quote
single tubes make depth perception hell, you can do it but its a royal pain.

If duals is where you want to be I would recommend buying a single tube that pairs well with your current 14 and dropping both into an actual dual tube rig. Bridge'd 14's work yeah... but they are much bigger and heavier than they have to be. I went Sentinels but Mod 3s are popular and so are the BNGV setups. Generally they are are the same tubes and lenses and just the actual housing is different. Generally in material (Sentinals are ANVIS rigs but made out of aluminum and much hardier.) The way they stow and adjust is also different and with Mod3's you can detach one or both tubes to work as monocles.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By dmjerrywest44:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4782/40685855501_1c5c8c6184_k.jpgSetup by J M, on Flickr
View Quote
What light mount is that?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By APEMAN8:

View Quote
Unity Tactical Knuckl
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
I just upgraded my IR patches. It only required gastrointestinal pain...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74831/20180311_101814-478524.JPG
View Quote
That patch looks familiar
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/12/2018 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
@4DoorEKk very nice setup, is the velcro on your peltors precut?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#9]

All the people with night vision that attended Cola Warrior Southeast 2 in Georgia this past weekend.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TNVC:

Cola Warrior!!
View Quote
You should come to SE next year. We ran 14 at night this year. Going to attempt to double that
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By johnnypantz:
You should come to SE next year. We ran 14 at night this year. Going to attempt to double that
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Cola Warrior!!
And give me a sweet hook up on a MAWL before then so I can see all the targets out at 225..
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Firefighter503:
And give me a sweet hook up on a MAWL before then so I can see all the targets out at 225..
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Firefighter503:

Cola Warrior!!
I did it with a CQBL
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TATBME:

@4DoorEKk very nice setup, is the velcro on your peltors precut?
View Quote
I was going to order the Mid-p kit that nolatac sells but it was out of stock in tan so I just cut out my own stuff from some tan sticky backed Velcro I had.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By loco_engineer:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/253448/IMG_1674_JPG-480132.jpg

All the people with night vision that attended Cola Warrior Southeast 2 in Georgia this past weekend.
View Quote
Awesome. I was meh on CW but after seeing this I’m interested. Is there one around Arizona?
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FullAutoHound:

Awesome. I was meh on CW but after seeing this I’m interested. Is there one around Arizona?
View Quote
yes.  CW west bounces between AZ and NV.  also CWTX, but that's more of the east side
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Hahaahah Shiny!
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 1:07:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emtothedee] [#19]
After buying, selling, trading and some luck, I was able to work my way into a new set of fde mod 3s with 4G photonis white phosphors at no higher of an investment than I was already into with dual 14s. Super pumped!

Link Posted: 3/15/2018 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Unity Tactical Knuckl
View All Quotes

Unity Tactical Knuckl
Is there a version for Team Wendy EXFIL adapter kit?
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Is there a version for Team Wendy EXFIL adapter kit?
View Quote
It comes with a TW adapter.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:
After buying, selling, trading and some luck, I was able to work my way into a new set of fde mod 3s with 4G photonis white phosphors at no higher of an investment than I was already into with dual 14s. Super pumped!

https://vgy.me/iEpxiy.jpg
https://vgy.me/mjzMgG.jpg
View Quote
Initial impression of the 4G photonis white phosphor tubes??
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By terrance250:
View All Quotes

WP tubes make me regret buying a PVS-15c. And that's saying a lot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
Whoa whoa whoa how’d you manage that?   I’d kill to swap my 14’s for even just WP 14’s
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 3:40:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medalhedd] [#25]
New to NV. Have a set of BNVD's on the way. In the meantime, working on the helmet.

Waiting for my Team Wendy chin strap to replace the stock Ops Core. The new strap should work much better with the 4D padding. Ear pro will get later. Planning on Comtac III's with arc rail adaptors. Then it's done.

Ops Core Carbon
Wilcox G24
Wilcox shroud
TNVC Mohawk
Improvised bungy retention for ear pro (borrowed idea from someone else's here)
4D pads
Britkit USA battery sleeve.
Princeton light

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Initial impression is that they are amazing. These tubes are very clean and clear
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By FullAutoHound:

Whoa whoa whoa how’d you manage that?   I’d kill to swap my 14’s for even just WP 14’s
View Quote
Little bit of buying selling and trading of some night vision stuff. Got lucky really
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 3/16/2018 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I was originally thinking about the nightcap.  However I then realized that I would not be able to wear a bicycle helmet over it.  I was wondering about attaching a shroud to the helmet I listed as I already have one.

Unfortunately the tactical bump helmets all have a less stringent crash rating than bicycle helmets.  But I might very well go with a bump helmet and just try not to crash.
View Quote
Wait a minute...you're talking about a dual NVS...but you can't afford a dedicated bike helmet on which to mount a shroud?
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Initial impression is that they are amazing. These tubes are very clean and clear
View All Quotes
I've been running a 4g tube in my PVS-30 for a while now and would agree with the above statement.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By YO_Doc:

I've been running a 4g tube in my PVS-30 for a while now and would agree with the above statement.
View Quote
Did you do the swap out in the PVS-30 yourself?
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 12:22:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC] [#32]
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By pcsutton:
Wait a minute...you're talking about a dual NVS...but you can't afford a dedicated bike helmet on which to mount a shroud?
View Quote
I have nice cycling helmets, however none of them can mount a shroud as they are a very thin layer of plastic and minimal amounts of styrofoam.  So a shroud mounted to it would pull out very quickly and destroy the helmet.  There are cheap cycling helmets that maybe able to mount shrouds however they don't have good ventilation, similar to most bump helmets.  Finally bump helmets have much more lenient crash certifications than bike helmets.  The best one I can find, a Team Wendy, only has 50J impact energy certification vs 100J for cycling helmets.  Most bump helmets are only certified to tests up to around 30J.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:20:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Mohawk MK1 by J M, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#35]
My “soft as tits” helmet pads were delivered yesterday.

Unfortunately, I’m out of town for the weekend.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#36]
My new patches from Perroz Deisgns came in. Great quality.

Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#38]
IMG_8367

IMG_8359

My NV setup right now. Plan is to eventually switch out the helmet for a MICH 2001 and get a G24.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:39:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#39]
Attachment Attached File

Echo WP Sentinels and PVS-14

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 12:05:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#40]
I have nice cycling helmets, however none of them can mount a shroud as they are a very thin layer of plastic and minimal amounts of styrofoam.  So a shroud mounted to it would pull out very quickly and destroy the helmet.  There are cheap cycling helmets that maybe able to mount shrouds however they don't have good ventilation, similar to most bump helmets.  Finally bump helmets have much more lenient crash certifications than bike helmets.  The best one I can find, a Team Wendy, only has 50J impact energy certification vs 100J for cycling helmets.  Most bump helmets are only certified to tests up to around 30J.
View Quote
The whole Ops-Core FAST line is supposed to be certified to meet ASTM F1492 standards, which IIRC is 50-52J, including the Bumps, IIRC.

The Lux Liner, which is a full foam inner liner, is supposed to improve the impact protection fairly significantly as well, though I've not seen specific numbers/certification standards.

I'm not sure what standard you'd feel comfortable with, but it might be something worth looking into if it's a major concern for you. It doesn't hurt that the Lux Liner is one of the most comfortable helmet liner/pad systems I've ever worn, and the improved impact protection was the main reason I chose to go with it over simple pad replacement with 4Ds, as I do a lot of vehicle-mounted work.

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 8:45:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HootieWho] [#41]

Link Posted: 3/19/2018 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By loco_engineer:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/253448/IMG_1674_JPG-480132.jpg

View Quote
This is a badass picture Brother.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 10:34:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HootieWho] [#44]
Originally Posted By 4DoorEKk:
That’s a pvs-31? Just curious where did you get them?
View All Quotes
PVS-31a.

It was a 110% legit purchase and it was BNIB with a very recent mfg date but I gave my word to keep the source out of the forums. I give you my word I am not trying to be a jerk about it or act all secret squirrel, but the condition of the purchase was such. It is not a department purchase but having LE creds helped in getting them if that helps give you an idea.

That said, it was a big purchase and I am completely happy with them. I just could not imagine having to go back to a single tube unit after buying these.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By HootieWho:

PVS-31a.

It was a 110% legit purchase and it was BNIB with a very recent mfg date but I gave my word to keep the source out of the forums. I give you my word I am not trying to be a jerk about it or act all secret squirrel, but the condition of the purchase was such. It is not a department purchase but having LE creds helped in getting them if that helps give you an idea.

That said, it was a big purchase and I am completely happy with them. I just could not imagine having to go back to a single tube unit after buying these.
View Quote

I have to imagine going from single tube to duels is quite the difference. That’s awesome I assume they weren’t cheap. The 31s aren’t available to your average joe right? I find it nutts that police departments are buying this stuff. I can understand the swat team have a dual tube goggle and maybe a pvs-14 on a lanyard for ur patrol officer. But it’s all preference I guess. Anyway, nice setup.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#46]

I have to imagine going from single tube to duels is quite the difference. That’s awesome I assume they weren’t cheap. The 31s aren’t available to your average joe right? I find it nutts that police departments are buying this stuff. I can understand the swat team have a dual tube goggle and maybe a pvs-14 on a lanyard for ur patrol officer. But it’s all preference I guess. Anyway, nice setup.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HootieWho:

PVS-31a.

Thank you. They were not cheap, but I don’t have kids and we work our butts off.

Honestly I think a PVS-14 is a better option for your average road deputy or officer. Especially with something like a Crye night cap or the new TNVC offering. If he is looking for something or someone it is easy to slip into, he can kill the lights and still drive but have his dominate eye still ready to use for whatever he may need. It also allows a free eye to use a compact thermal if they have one. Many patrol cars now are pretty cramped if you are over 5’5”. A helmet gets cumbersome if you are using it a lot while driving.

For SWAT or K9 guys, especially anyone doing rural movement in the dark or tracking I think the duals carry more weight there. If you are in any type of mountainous area I’d rather have duals.

NODs and thermals in LE is one of those things where you really cannot imagine how damn useful they are until you have them for use for a week or so. I honestly would rather drive a ragged out patrol car, no taser, and give up a ton of other things and just be issued one DRMO pvs-14 or a thermal. I have not read the AAR’s on many of the ambush shootings of LE, but I cannot help but think that parking a house or two down with lights out and a quick scan of a residence that had a 911 hangup or something off about the call couldn’t hurt in trying to combat LE ambushes. Especially with the pocket sized thermals coming out now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CTM1:

Did you do the swap out in the PVS-30 yourself?
View Quote
As noted by TNVC, my 30 came new from KAC with the INTENS 4G tube in it. It provides no noticeable zero shift from a day optics on three different rifles. Due to the absolute need for precise alignment of the tube, prisms and lenses inside of the 30 to make this level of precision happen, that's outside of my realm of garage optic work. Also IMHO it is something that needs to be purged with nitrogen for internal fogging protection as well.

Several vendors have also told me that the 30 needs factory for tube adjustment/replacement. Working on a $11K, 30 is a lot more financially risky than a $3k, 14.

Back to helmets and cool goggle set up's :D
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#48]
New go pro adapter is pretty bad ass. #itsnottnvc

Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Giggity.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#50]
How does it work. Does it give good vids?
Page / 145
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top