Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2019 11:06:05 PM EDT
Hey guys I’ve been lurking here for a while and finally bought an AR.  I would really like to get a suppressor but I wanted to check with you guys for your opinions.  I’ve been leaning towards the NG2 Maxflo but it seems like most of the reviews seem like promotional materials and a big red flag to me was that the price on them is down 50% and their website is not taking orders online.

Did the company run into trouble?  Is the suppressor really as good as the YT videos make it seem?

My setup:    Alpha Shooting Sports 16” DI on a spikes lower

My goals for a silencer:
1.  Minimize blowback - I don’t want to choke on gasses after spending time at the range
2.  Get decibels below - 140 in the event I need to use it without earplugs

I’m not necessarily married to the idea of using the Maxflo.  I’ve read a bunch on the Surefire SOCOM and the OSS but I wasn’t sure which one people think meets my goals.  I hesitate to add OSS because it seems like there is a political divide between those who hate them and those who champion them and I didn’t want to reopen that debate.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The measurements I've seen has the NG2 performance at the muzzle only a few db higher than some traditional baffled suppressors and of course lower at the shooters ear due to the low back pressure. The big negative is the weight of the NG2, if you don't mind that than you'll probably be happy with it if minimal back pressure is your main focus.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Since you are using a DI AR, the best option is to get an adjustable gas block from Superlative Arms and use that in conjunction with your favorite gas busting CH (mine is the Armegaddon Tactical GMS-15 Gen 2).  That will allow you to have the best of both worlds with a more traditional suppressor as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWVo76DwRs  And if you really want to go all out you can get an LMT Enhanced carrier, Tubbs flatwire spring, and don't run a buffer retainer for even better results.

There is basically zero reason to run the heavy and long ultra low back pressure cans (like the OSS and Nexgen) on DI ARs currently because there are better means of cutting down blow back (like the AGB), especially with most modern cans being low(er) back pressure.  Instead, along with the gas block suggested above I'd recommend picking up a Dead Air Nomad (or if you are on a bit of a budget, the SIG SRD 5.56 QD) which will prove superior in just about every metric to the OSS/Nexgen.

Where ultra low back pressure cans shine is on rifles where there is way to mitigate the blowback, ex: X95, AUG, AK, G3, and so on.  In those cases, from the limited testing I've seen the OSS is outperforming the Nexgen (but the only time they've gone directly head to head is a bolt gun).
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I did a YouTube review on one, it really does live up to the blowback claims.  It's also quieter at the ear than almost any other can I've tried on an AR.  The meter numbers weren't as good, as would be expected.

All my friends that shot it back to back with other cans liked it more.

They were expensive AF, and I think they were lowered to about 1000 but I was told the company went out of business.  Probably just too much money to manufacture and be competitive.  Talked to the company, they are still in business and coming out with a new/improved can.  My apologies for the confusion.

I have never shot with an OSS, they won't answer my requests to review one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I heard they were going under which would explain the price point! Shot one before and it seemed heavy and loud. OSS Suppressors had the no blow back concept first so they might be worth a look. Ive seen some good reviews on youtube on them. I think LMT also came out with one but have not seen much on it. Might also be worth checking out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Sooo buy an expensive silencer and then buy quality expensive parts?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are considering a purchase I would wait to see what comes out of SHOT.  Back-pressure is getting more attention from companies seeking to innovate.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Waiting for SHOT makes sense.  I spent an hour today watching the ins and outs of AGBs and buffers.  Also, I am picking up an Armageddon charging handle online now as well.

This world seems just as expensive as golf, but maybe more addictive.  The level of knowledge in this forum is outstanding.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:55:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Waiting for SHOT makes sense.  I spent an hour today watching the ins and outs of AGBs and buffers.  Also, I am picking up an Armageddon charging handle online now as well.

This world seems just as expensive as golf, but maybe more addictive.  The level of knowledge in this forum is outstanding.  Thanks guys.
View Quote
I really like my Armageddon charging handle
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Any issues with the Armageddon charging handle unlatching during firing? I’m considering trying one over my radian sd charging handle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any issues with the Armageddon charging handle unlatching during firing? I’m considering trying one over my radian sd charging handle.
View Quote
Mines never come unlatched. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]
No unlatching, that was the Gen 1.  Gen 2 is gtg, best CH I've ever used.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:19:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Well dang, once I’m out of debt that was my next can on the list.

I will echo the positive feedback on the Armageddon Tac handle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And if you really want to go all out you can get an LMT Enhanced carrier, Tubbs flatwire spring, anddon't run a buffer retainer for even better results.
View Quote
How does a buffer retainer change anything?
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Talked to this company, they are still making the Maxflo and coming out with a new can as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Talked to this company, they are still making the Maxflo and coming out with a new can as well.
View Quote
Did they indicate if they are going to be able to improve the muzzle numbers? (Not that I care, but that's a common criticism)
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did they indicate if they are going to be able to improve the muzzle numbers? (Not that I care, but that's a common criticism)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They indicated 5-8 dB quieter, although the quote did not specify at the ear or muzzle reading.  This is what they said:

The full size QuantumFlo is the same diameter as the MAXFLO, but only 6.5" in length and under 15oz.  It's running 5-8db quiter than the MAXFLO, has much more internal volume, cooling surface area and distance of gas travel.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone have a link to the new can? Sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#20]
@10mm_ Can't seem to find any articles on this
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@10mm_ Can't seem to find any articles on this
View Quote
I emailed the company to ask if they were still in business and the CEO replied, that information is from the email he sent me.

I asked to review one of the new cans but haven't heard back, hopefully soon.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#22]

It was at SHOT 2019 apparently, but I didn't see any info out there.  June/July timeframe was quoted in the email, with several other cans in the pipeline as well.  I hope one is a pistol can that minimizes blowback.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/SSDX3Gs.png

It was at SHOT 2019 apparently, but I didn't see any info out there.  June/July timeframe was quoted in the email, with several other cans in the pipeline as well.  I hope one is a pistol can that minimizes blowback.
View Quote
Are these only direct thread suppressors?
Will they have any plans to make quick detach model?
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/SSDX3Gs.png

look at the bottom right of the flyer
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
look at the bottom right of the flyer
View Quote
Missed that.

Hopefully it will be an adapter that is compatible with other cans.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#26]
After shooting the NG2 again i have come to the conclusion that it his freaking heavy and noisy. Ill stick with the OSS
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
After shooting the NG2 again i have come to the conclusion that it his freaking heavy and noisy. Ill stick with the OSS
View Quote
That bad? I was considering buying one as I have an OSS can but wanted something for a Tavor.

Edit: I just purchased one from Capital Armory anyways to put on a Tavor. Purchased a SilencerCo Switchback as well since it was a $100 off.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Cool.  Looking forward to hearing how it shoots in... 8 months
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
My dealer doesn’t have a range, but he will take me shooting at the club he is a member at if I ask him. So I don’t think I will wait 8 months to shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My dealer doesn't have a range, but he will take me shooting at the club he is a member at if I ask him. So I don't think I will wait 8 months to shoot it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dealer doesn't have a range, but he will take me shooting at the club he is a member at if I ask him. So I don't think I will wait 8 months to shoot it.
I can put mine on my Tavor, in fact I should try that and the Hopaii because its loud next to your head big time even with a can.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is the OSS not heavy and noisy?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I can put mine on my Tavor, in fact I should try that and the Hopaii because its loud next to your head big time even with a can.
View Quote
OSS can or NG2 Maxflo suppressor on your Tavor?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have an OSS, but I do have a Maxflo
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Can’t wait to hear how it works out for you.

Quoted:

Is the OSS not heavy and noisy?
I have a gen 4 OSS can and it’s no supermodel. But I like how it sounds and it balances nicely on my rifle. I was going to pickup a gen 5 but I have no host for it, I don’t have a dedicated host for 3 cans I already have, first world problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top