Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2018 10:04:36 PM EDT
I just got my first nfa items and I wanted to ensure I keep the correct documentation when I travel (within my own state). Do I need a copy of the whole form (all 4 pages) with the stamp or just a literal copy of the stamp?

I am also open to how other have simplified this? Do you laminate the items?

TIA

Bikejunky
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I scan the first page with the stamp, keep the PDF on my phone. If you want to get technical, only the original form with tax stamp, or an ATF copy, shown to an ATF agent is required. But I figure if Johnny Law asks, at least a copy showing my name, serial# and approval is hopefully enough to keep me from being hassled.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI

Additionally I keep an MTM Ammo Crate plastic box in my trunk, filled with mags, ammo, etc. - and copies of the tax stamps in sheet protectors in the bottom.

Because I know virtually no one will ever ask me for them. And if they do, there's an 80% chance they won't really know the NFA anyway.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I scanned the originals and keep them on my phone. I also printed out 5x7 copies front and back that I keep in my wallet, but I only have 3 forms though.

As said though, you only need to be able to produce either the original or a certified copy to an ATF agent upon request. I haven’t been asked by anyone yet, but I could see someone who doesn’t know the laws very well asking. Probably a rso at a range, game warden, or something like that. I just keep proof to keep stupid people from threatening to call the cops.  There isn’t much likelihood of someone calling over a commercial can, but a form 1 can/sbr/sbs could easily get the cops called because it looks like it was made in your garage and probably was.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#4]
tax documentation
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I take mine ot Kinko's and make 3x5" two sided copies and laminate the copies.  I punch a hole in the corner and keep them on a key ring.  I have a set of copies in the glove box, safe, etc.  I also keep scanned copies as pdfs on my phone.  THat being said, I've had cops asks to see the suppressors, but never been asked by one to see the stamp.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]
FPNI.. have picture on phone should it ever be needed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep I had 2 guys that were state police at a private range ask me about my GSG5 sbr. They wanted to know what it was, just said my little SBR. They shot the hell out of it with me and thanked me. Never asked about paperwork.  Never had anyone I know have a request.

Had questions on the process since some cops are not familiar with NFA. Found when most of them relize you know more about the process then they do they dont even ask.

With that said, i keep photo copies. Shown a couple of cops the forms because they have never seen them. Work with a bunch of them. One of them almost shit himself when I was talking about a Form1 supressor. Lol
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Most cops are not familiar with NFA. It's not a topic generally covered in police academies.

The only agents (BATFE) who can demand your paperwork don't really need to see it, since they can query the NFRTR. The ones who cannot verify are not entitled to view the registration form. Most people generally like to have a digital copy available for any official inquiries, however, just as a precautionary measure. It could help you avoid further explanation in jurisdictions with state/local laws against said NFA firearms. Most have exceptions if federally registered.

The more common issue owners generally run into is private ranges who won't allow NFA on their premises unless they're satisfied it's lawfully registered. Some are more overzealous than others.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Double sided, reduced high quailty copies, laminated, hole punched, and a on binder ring. I have several of these made up. One each in range bags. Single Form laminated copies in the same size in each NFA items Pelican Case. Normally attached with the same type of ring to the weapon.

Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Double sided, reduced high quailty copies, laminated, hole punched, and a on binder ring. I have several of these made up. One each in range bags. Single Form laminated copies in the same size in each NFA items Pelican Case. Normally attached with the same type of ring to the weapon.

https://i.imgur.com/za41DmH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/j3TCGKV.jpg
View Quote
This is a damn nice set up. Where did you have it done at? I want the same set up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is a damn nice set up. Where did you have it done at? I want the same set up.
View Quote
I did it myself off of work zerox (w/ the permission of the Boss).  Reduced 65%. Same with the lamenating. Boss is a good pro-gun guy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Mehhh, I just scan them and upload them to the cloud.  I have scanned copes that that I keep with the items along with a copy of the trust and schedule A.  I've never know anyone to ask to see them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I did it myself off of work zerox (w/ the permission of the Boss).  Reduced 65%. Same with the lamenating. Boss is a good pro-gun guy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At a reduced rate of 65%, how big is the final sheet?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a full size black white copy folded inside my grip
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:39:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

At a reduced rate of 65%, how big is the final sheet?
View Quote
About 5 1/2" x 7"
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Regular sized stamp sheets works just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top