Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2021 10:27:44 AM EDT
Is there a section to talk about suppressors?  Can't seem to find it anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
check Armory section
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you gentlemen, clearly the one section I didn't look in, I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't go in there unless you are ready to get sick.

Cans are infectious.  No cure.

I'll save you from wasting the first question:  can I buy one can to cover all my needs?

No.

And the rabbit hole entrance is exposed...

You go in and start buying cans (plural) which seems dumb at the outset, why not just one? but the sickness sets in......

Then the dreamy pleasure of suppressed shooting........

Sorta like the Hotel California really.

Follow the white rabbit.   Well worth it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't go in there unless you are ready to get sick.

Cans are infectious.  No cure.

I'll save you from wasting the first question:  can I buy one can to cover all my needs?

No.

And the rabbit hole entrance is exposed...

You go in and start buying cans (plural) which seems dumb at the outset, why not just one? but the sickness sets in......

Then the dreamy pleasure of suppressed shooting........

Sorta like the Hotel California really.

Follow the white rabbit.   Well worth it.
View Quote

And this children is what your brain looks like with lead poisoning.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Started with three to cover my "needs".  I have 17 now.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm so spoiled I won't shoot unsuppressed now...it is a disease.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in a similar boat.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]
25ish deep (I think, hard to keep up). I don’t shoot loud guns and am always looking for the next interesting suppressor host.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Shooting unsuppressed is so...uncouth.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Haha, thanks for all the replies everyone.  

Question with 5.56 suppressors, are they worth and do they make that much of a difference or do I need to shoot sub ammo?  All the ammo I have is regular 5.56 ammo. Also any benefits to buying several at one time as far as paperwork goes?  

Last question what does everyone thinks about 9mm vs 45 suppressed.  Looking to get a either a 9mm or 45 PCC.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I cannot help with the 556 question.  I'm waiting for my first 556 can to show so I can put it on my 556 heathen friends firearms to stop violating my space.

For 9mm and 45 ACP my Obsidian 45 has been quite wonderful on any firearm, regardless of barrel length or platform.

230 grain 45 is always nice.  Full stop

115 grain 9mm is okay but the crack takes some of the fun out
124 grain 9mm loses speed quickly and the crack is short and you can definitely tell the difference between it and 115 grain. Its better.
147 grain plus, in 9mm is just quiet fun
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I only have one can, but man, I can't imagine shooting my AUG or ARs without it now. Went to an outdoor range, and I could comfortably shoot without ear pro. Only did it a few times before throwing my ears back on, but man, it was an experience.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I shoot unsuppressed, after the first shot I raise my head and say where is all this F'ing noise coming from  

I am up to six I think, I will have to recount....

And I am going to save you sometime,  without a doubt, beyond any doubt, the best mounting system is the Knights Armament....the others plain stink....Silencerco is the worst....

The KAC mounting system/locking collar is so damn simple to use and remove.

I thought the DeadAir would be better...not a range session goes by where I have to load up the rifle and get the suppressor unstuck when I get home....have to soak with Kroil

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
25ish deep (I think, hard to keep up). I don’t shoot loud guns and am always looking for the next interesting suppressor host.
View Quote

That's unfortunate. Some of the most fun I have is with loud guns.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That same gun with no flash signature and much quieter...much much better
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sometimes it’s unavoidable. But if I can make a loud gun quiet, why not? Now I like to find great suppressor hosts. Like a lever action .38 SPL is amazing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This. Shooting unsuppressed is so...uncouth.
View Quote

Whenever I go outside and pop some 357 or 44 off, one of my neighbors will reply w/ some shotgun blasts
We're a fun neighborhood
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Question with 5.56 suppressors, are they worth and do they make that much of a difference or do I need to shoot sub ammo?  All the ammo I have is regular 5.56 ammo. Also any benefits to buying several at one time as far as paperwork goes?  

Last question what does everyone thinks about 9mm vs 45 suppressed.  Looking to get a either a 9mm or 45 PCC.

Thanks
View Quote

The Mods moved your thread to the proper forum - welcome! You will notice a difference when shooting 5.56 suppressed vs unsuppressed, however it is nowhere near "movie quiet". Subsonic 5.56 is out of the question, it's possible but not practical - there are many threads already about this. I think it is worth it if you are shooting indoors or running NV. If you want "movie quiet" there are a number of other available calibers other members will probably chime in on.

Each can (suppressor/silencer) will require an application and stamp.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Yes, .223 are worth it but doesn't hurt to start out with a 7.62 can first.

If you can, yes, buy the cans you want at the same time, which probably won't happen because of supply and demand, some cans sell out in less than an hour when SS posts they are in stock.

Use a trust, put yourself on their only until you're done buying NFA stuff then add who ever you want. If you have 10 people on your trust then you'll need fingerprint cards and passport photos for everyone.

I got both, a ghm9 and ghm45

Bought a YHM N2O(9mm), and a griffin revolution 45.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Appreciate the info.  Just trying to decide what calibers I want and how to proceed. I have a 3OO blk that needs a can (can also use on my 5.56s) and then I was thinking a 9mm so I can use it on my pistols and a PCC that I will be getting.  Opinions on buying all the same type of cans? I was thinking that would keep it simple for switching back and forth between weapons.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#22]
OSS is the way to go imho. You don't need to worry about adjustable bcg, gas port. etc ... slap on & u good to go.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#23]
If PCC are the main driver a Rex in 358 or 458 could also work on Blackout and 5.56.  The over bore will be louder at muzzle than a caliber specific can, but less blowback. Not as neutral as a flow through design like OSS, but more caliber versatile, modular adaptability, and lighter and a good value. The YHM R9 and Nitro N20, and Dead Air Wolfman are similar fits.

None of these make good pistol cans because if diameter and cost of additional booster.  At some point a dedicated rifle can and take-down pistol can are a good combo.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#24]
A couple more questions. I am not going to use a kiosk because I will be buying from the manufacturer, it seems I will need to fill out an ATF form 4 for the suppressors.  

Do I buy the cans 1st then fill out paperwork once I have the serial numbers?  

So I assume this is the order in which to proceed if it is wrong please let me know.  

Buy the cans to get serial numbers  

Fill out form 4 paperwork.  

Get passport photos and fingerprints done. (where can I get fingerprint cards?)

Send in the forms with checks for ATF and wait for a ridiculous length of time to get the approval.

Also I have to do a separate ATF form 4 for each suppressor I am buying is that correct?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Thank you appreciate the help.  I am going with OSS.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Who every you buy from normally would Form 3 it to your dealer for transfer.
Then you go to dealer and do your Form 4, pay transfer fee which can be up to $100 for NFA.
Wait for stamp.
Dealer calls when he has your stamp, go get can.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Listen to the guys who are saying to plan on buying more than one.  I just almost won't shoot rifles unsuppressed anymore.  My poor Mauser collection is languishing.  I started with a 5.56 and .30 cal and have expanded from there.  There are lots of good options in both so depending on what your budget is you can probably swing one of each within a couple of months of each other.  The people here have been very helpful to me getting started (thanks to all) and I am sure if you provide detailed info about your needs they will provide you with plenty of options.  Just remember what works great for one person may not fit your NEEDS.  That's not a reflection on you, them or the particular equipment you are discussing.  My collection is different from everyone else's so I have had to adjust what suppressors and mounting systems I am using.  

Also think way ahead.  I will disburse all my stuff eventually to my kids/relatives so that may affect how you want to set up your paperwork and what you buy.

Have fun and stay safe.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That is the correct order.  Your dealer should handle all the paperwork, not you.  Who's the manufacturer?
View Quote

You will get a lot of opinions on this  I have one that I use on my ARX's and similar rifles for very specific reasons.  If you have those type of firearms they may be a very good choice for you.  I doubt I would use them on my bolt rifles or AR's though.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We are on file with OSS and happy to handle your transfer assuming you are in Virginia.  We take fingerprints at our shop and handle the form 4.
View Quote

^
This is what you want in a FFL to do a NFA transfer. My LGS does prints and photo for NFA purchase or transfer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, that’s about right
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I started with 2 and now have 7 with 3 in jail and looking to pick a shift or two at work to pick up another one or three.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I started with a 7.62 and 22lr, I am at 13.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Looking at getting one for my 300 blk out, one for my 9mms and one for my ARs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm in a similar boat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in a similar boat.
Well, I'm in the same boat as you sons of bitches. I'm a little over 20 now. I actually lost count.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:39:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well, I'm in the same boat as you sons of bitches. I'm a little over 20 now. I actually lost count.
View Quote

Its a Damn big boat

I have three pending and want the new 556 can from DA.  It hasnt even been relisted yet, still want it tho...
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We are on file with OSS and happy to handle your transfer assuming you are in Virginia.  We take fingerprints at our shop and handle the form 4.
View Quote

Thank you I really appreciate the offer, I have a local shop I am working with once I order them heard nothing but good things about you guys.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#39]
I am at 7.  The trick is buy 1 per month, then after 6 months you get the happy call about once a month.  My next stamp is my first MG.
..time has slowed down for me like a kid waiting on Christmas
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am at 7.  The trick is buy 1 per month, then after 6 months you get the happy call about once a month.  My next stamp is my first MG.
..time has slowed down for me like a kid waiting on Christmas
View Quote

haha I love it. Have something to look forward to every month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top