BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
His comparison videos seem pretty fair. It's simply media that's available to consumers to make their own conclusions. I enjoy his content and have watched most of his videos.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would rather watch a turtle take a shit than watch Hop do another boring ass, no personality and no excitement review or interview. Dude has no business being in front of a camera.
View Quote

I personally find his content straightforward, concise, very well thought out, and most importantly honest. I also personally enjoy his dry sense of humor.  

When I want exciting I'll watch flannel daddy shoot gel torsos in a labcoat.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think some of the videos are all that different from asking on this forum.  If people spend money on something, many want to justify their purchase, so you can find bias there too.

I watch the videos for information realizing what they are.  Many provide basic information that I can use to help me determine if a product is for me.  I have used the NFA channel for that purpose, including Garand Thumb and many others.  

I expect companies to advertise and get their products out there.  The YouTube reviews help with that and the demonitization has had an effect.  Silencer Shop does the same when demonstrating cans, because they want you to buy from them.

I have never gotten the hate some people have.  If you don't like, move on.  I use them for info and a springboard into my own research.  I have done that for all the products I buy.  

Even did this for deciding to buy a GA Recce 7!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think that's an unfair characterization of youtubers in the firearms industry segment.  Obviously they can bow out behind the scenes without eviscerating products and keep their reputation as being nice people.  That doesn't make them shills when they say a good thing about a good product.

I'm sure they want to broadcast positivity, and avoid damaging relationships in their line of work.  
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I would love to hear what suppressor reviewers people really watch and/or value (other than Pew Science as that's already been covered). I'm just curious to who and why.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would love to hear what suppressor reviewers people really watch and/or value (other than Pew Science as that's already been covered). I'm just curious to who and why.
View Quote

Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics is probably the most reliable YouTube source. He has a ton of experience with a wide variety of suppressors on a wide variety of hosts and he has been including footage shooting in near/total darkness and under night vision which is much needed and appreciated. I find him very fair in the way he puts his subjective experience with them into context to help inform the audience about the intended/best use of a suppressor. He's just in a totally different league than the "infomercial" type "reviews," IMO.

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics is probably the most reliable YouTube source. He has a ton of experience with a wide variety of suppressors on a wide variety of hosts and he has been including footage shooting in near/total darkness and under night vision which is much needed and appreciated. I find him very fair in the way he puts his subjective experience with them into context to help inform the audience about the intended/best use of a suppressor. He's just in a totally different league than the "infomercial" type "reviews," IMO.

View Quote

He gives me the vibe of being objective as well. Or less shill-y?
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
His comparison videos seem pretty fair. It's simply media that's available to consumers to make their own conclusions. I enjoy his content and have watched most of his videos.
View Quote

Pretty much this, I enjoy NFA review and think Adam does a good job.

A buddy and I bought tickets to go to Suppressed Fest in Nov which is a NFA review event.

If nothing else he makes quality videos and promotes  supressor ownership.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Come to think of it, a similar thing may have happened with Silencer Shop. They got a BK Pulse and did a small flurry of metering videos about a year ago, and then the metering videos seemingly stopped.

Wonder if that’s also why the Otter_dump IG account of the 4.5” full auto testing suddenly went private midway through a delayed unveil of the test results.
View Quote

As someone who doesn't really follow these things, which company is suspected of doing that?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's really hard to get value from suppressor reviews on the internet.  Metering is rare and even then can be subjective depending on host, ammo, location, etc.

I agree with the others that Sage Dynamics appears to be a trustworthy source, and he reviews many products to similar standards.

I always liked Silencer Shop's Table Top reviews since they show you what comes in the box. Alabama Arsenal is similar, but I don't think the sound comparison portion of their review is worth anything (that seems like a waste of time).

The only metering tests that I ever found useful was Military Arms Channel, but he rarely does it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would rather watch a turtle take a shit than watch Hop do another boring ass, no personality and no excitement review or interview. Dude has no business being in front of a camera.
View Quote

So you are in it for the entertainment value, not the review itself.

Got it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Pretty much this, I enjoy NFA review and think Adam does a good job.

A buddy and I bought tickets to go to Suppressed Fest in Nov which is a NFA review event.

If nothing else he makes quality videos and promotes  supressor ownership.
View Quote

That was a shit show. Retarded long line to get in. Neckbeards in gun brand t-shirts everywhere drooling over the fact that we had girls with us. The only suppressors available were stuff my buddies and I already owned - nothing new that hadn't been released yet. No NFA items were available to purchase meanwhile Adam was flying around in some helicopter showboating which was obnoxiously loud.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#14]
If you pay attention to Tacswap listings that coincide with the release date of optic reviews, you can start to see how those "supplied by the manufacturer for review" optics are being used as payment.

I mean, if I get something for free and sell it, did I not make money? Even though I wasn't directly paid by the manufacturer I've managed to line my pockets a bit. If suppressors were easier to sell we'd be seeing the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Lol come on get real. You don’t seriously believe people get PAID to do reviews do you hahahahahaha
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The m4-2000 is a great can on an average to poor mount.  Thats too bad as a great can should have a great mount.
View Quote

They told me Oct/Nov it will have Keymo.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don’t think he affords a ram trx on his firefighter salary.

View Quote

Or a Ferrari....
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Or a Ferrari....
View Quote

I saw that too...  I think his wife is a nurse or something, but still.  Is YouTube that lucrative?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The m4-2000 is a great can on an average to poor mount.  Thats too bad as a great can should have a great mount.

AAC also announced that they will be doing a 1.375" x 24 retrofit for legacy cans too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I saw that too...  I think his wife is a nurse or something, but still.  Is YouTube that lucrative?
View Quote
My wife is a family nurse practitioner.   I drive her small crossover SUV that I inherited after we upgraded her to a minivan.  Nurses and nurse practitioners don’t usually make Ferrari money unless you make a lot of other sacrifices.  Maybe he has family money, maybe he saves and invests well, maybe he’s a serious car guy who has been collecting or rebuilding cars his whole life in order to be able to afford a Ferrari.  I would be more interested to learn more about how much money he makes from YouTube and if/how he is compensated by manufacturers for featuring their products if I were using his channel to make purchasing decisions.  At any rate, good on the man for turning his passion into a busines.  I admire that and am glad we live in a country where that is possible.

I do think it is interesting that people initially turned to internet reviewers at least partially because the traditional gun magazines were awfully friendly with the gun industry.  Now if you are just consuming either/both for entertainment purposes and don’t mind that aspect of the business, no harm done.  But there did seem to be an awful lot of people who took umbrage with traditional gun mags when the Remington R51 was released and they all said it was the best thing since sliced bread.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I remember correctly, he also has a Patreon that has tiers to get his members discounts on his sponsors stuff. I'm sure he's not making Thot Onlyfans money, but I bet he gets a good chunk from there
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My wife is a family nurse practitioner.   I drive her small crossover SUV that I inherited after we upgraded her to a minivan.  Nurses and nurse practitioners don’t usually make Ferrari money unless you make a lot of other sacrifices.  Maybe he has family money, maybe he saves and invests well, maybe he’s a serious car guy who has been collecting or rebuilding cars his whole life in order to be able to afford a Ferrari.  I would be more interested to learn more about how much money he makes from YouTube and if/how he is compensated by manufacturers for featuring their products if I were using his channel to make purchasing decisions.  At any rate, good on the man for turning his passion into a busines.  I admire that and am glad we live in a country where that is possible.

I do think it is interesting that people initially turned to internet reviewers at least partially because the traditional gun magazines were awfully friendly with the gun industry.  Now if you are just consuming either/both for entertainment purposes and don’t mind that aspect of the business, no harm done.  But there did seem to be an awful lot of people who took umbrage with traditional gun mags when the Remington R51 was released and they all said it was the best thing since sliced bread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be clear, Im not getting down on him.  I like his channel.  I was just surprised.  I think that is fantastic that something like that is possible.  Getting paid to shoot and get fast cars.  Sounds great.  I dont care if he gets paid by manufacturers.  His opinions seem genuine to me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Do they have kids?
6 figure nurse and big city union fireman without kids could afford stuff

Parents die and left them a house in Beverly Hills?

He bought Bitcoin in 2013?

Truck could be a 179 deduction

Or maybe manufacturers pay him obscene money to skew reviews?
ETA: does anyone question Capitol Armory’s Ferrari?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:20:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Companies with marketing departments have an axe to grind.  They will claim, say, produce "results" of all manner and type to convince you their product is the best.  In many cases, their claims are...mostly true...but typically under very specific circumstances (that aren't necessarily part of actual use).  Case in point:  Several manufacturers "claim" their shop vacs produce "X amount of peak horsepower."

The truth is, they don't come anywhere close to that in actual use...and there have been law suits to that extent, but the companies win the law suits, because in a very specific laboratory set up, they can produce the numbers that are equivalent to their claims.  The "real" truth is, HP is not the real measure of suction power in a shop vac.

Anyway, with youtube the way it is, anyone looking to make money on firearms and firearm accessory reviews almost have no choice but to be paid shills to an extent.  At the very least, you simply don't see them reviewing products they know are bad to avoid having to say anything bad about anything.  Outside of firearms, there are plenty of YT channels that pride themselves on being unsponsored and unpaid by any company and they will absolutely trash products that are crap.  They make their money from donations and patreon and so forth.  The downside is, they aren't making the "big bucks", but many don't do too bad, obviously, or they wouldn't continue making test and review content.

The truth is simply that corporate marketing is a powerful player in every corner of the consumer market.  In fact, for many companies, their marketing budget makes up most of their expenditures because they know people believe what they're told.  Think about it, why are companies so willing to spend advertising money on banners, clickable links, ad videos at the beginning of every youtube video, on social media, or even millions of dollars for a 30 second spot during the super bowl, etc, etc, etc?  Because it sells products.

To a large degree, social media and youtube have become just an extension of traditional marketing.  Smart companies have glommed onto youtubers who garner large viewing audiences.  It saves the company a lot of time and money as they didn't have to lift a finger to get all those viewers, they just benefit from it if the youtuber agrees to sign on with them and the youtuber is more than happy to make good money as a result.

As for only reviewing things that get good reviews, I dare say there are tubers that are shady as well.  They say they aren't paid, but then later we find out they are taking money from a certain company...they deny it, of course, but over time, it becomes obvious or the truth comes out.  I admit, I used to pay a lot of attention to one like that, but then I got suspicious when he would regularly trash a certain brand that I and a lot of people I personally know have a lot of experience with and none of us ever had any of the "bad" he had to say about it.  I then began to notice he favored a particular brand a lot, visited their facilities on several occasions and then we find out he was, in fact, being paid by them, contrary to his claims.

The bottom line is simply that "money talks" and big companies with lots of money can do a lot of talking.  Most aren't interested is chancing a bad review, so they're going to do whatever they need to do to ensure the reviewer is going to have nothing but good to say, whether that good is fact, or heavily influenced with some green.

When it comes to YT reviews, I typically ignore the reviewers opinion items. I never watch, or care about "unboxing" videos.  I think those are the most ridiculous waste of time. I'm only interested in actual results when the product is tested.

I doubt we'll ever see a "standardized" testing method for suppressors.  It's not in the company's favor to do that.  Nearly all of the suppressors on the market are so closely matched in actual suppression that it does take sensitive (i.e. expensive) equipment to discern any technical differences.  Beyond that, "sound" is subjective.  Whether lower or a higher frequency sound is more desirable is subjective.  Video cameras and mics are horrible at conveying what a suppressor actually sounds like in person.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don’t watch his (or most) videos
It’s important to know if you got paid /free suppressor/ free case of ammo etc to give positive reviews

When’s the last time a big channel said “wow this was a let down”?

It’s just basic integrity
View Quote

Quoted for truth. A great example is LTT, they always call out if the video is a review for the item or a sponsored showcase. You cannot review an item that is sponsoring the video.
They have sponsors for every video, but it's typically not the item being reviewed.

Anyone who is taking money from a manufacture to make a video is doing a showcase/infomercial. Even if it is not 100% positive, it is not a review.
They can send you a sample that you have to send back, but paying for a review is shady.

In my opinion any conflicting investments should be stated also. e.g. Owning stock in a particular manufacture.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Only big youtuber I have seen consistently give realistic reviews is nutnfancy
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
True. But you have to watch a 40 minute video for 15 minutes of content.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you consider to be a realistic review?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd rather get ripped off than watch a nutnfancy video.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When someone says something negative about the product or to not buy the product all together...nutn does this all the time, and if he does recommend it as a buy he will still give caveats and contraindications (unfortunately does not review silencers)
Nfa review channel has never met a silencer he did not like
Alabamaarsenal has never met a silencer he did not like

Quoted:
I'd rather get ripped off than watch a nutnfancy video.

Haha, yes I skip every watch and knife video
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Do you trust Tiborasaurus Rex reviews?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nfa review channel has never met a silencer he did not like
Alabamaarsenal has never met a silencer he did not like
View Quote

Because they are not going to waste their time, ammo and money doing a review/spotlight/advertisement whatever rhe hell you feel like calling it for a product that they feel is not worth the time and money. These quality video reviews take all that, time, money and ammo.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Because they are not going to waste their time, ammo and money doing a review/spotlight/advertisement whatever rhe hell you feel like calling it for a product that they feel is not worth the time and money. These quality video reviews take all that, time, money and ammo.
View Quote

This is absolutely true of Alabama Arsenal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

When someone says something negative about the product or to not buy the product all together...nutn does this all the time, and if he does recommend it as a buy he will still give caveats and contraindications (unfortunately does not review silencers)
View Quote

So you like purple Koolaid, not red. Got it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

That’s a good way to amass a fortune but a bad way to gain credibility
Quoted:

So you like purple Koolaid, not red. Got it.

I’m sorry, your comments are just too witty for me to understand
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’m sorry, your comments are just too witty for me to understand
View Quote

I just mean you prefer one guy's shilling over another. Nutnfancy absolutely gets paid to pump product.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not too familiar with that guy, is he the one that does a lot of pistol reviews and asks people to donate to homeless shelters at the end? I’ve seen a couple I think but not in a long time
Quoted:

I just mean you prefer one guy's shilling over another. Nutnfancy absolutely gets paid to pump product.

You could be right, especially with watches and knives which I don’t care anything about...guns I dunno, I feel like he gives a lot more criticism than anyone else.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:35:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not too familiar with that guy, is he the one that does a lot of pistol reviews and asks people to donate to homeless shelters at the end? I’ve seen a couple I think but not in a long time
View Quote

THIS GUY

He started about a dozen years ago, mainly making informative videos about long range shooting.  It morphed into other stuff, including reviews.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:57:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

THIS GUY

He started about a dozen years ago, mainly making informative videos about long range shooting.  It morphed into other stuff, including reviews.
View Quote

Oh ya, I watched his PA 3x micro prism review, seemed pretty balanced if I remember correctly, some of those videos look pretty interesting, gonna have to give them a watch.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I agree no one will work for free, but your words mean less to me if you are a paid employee of XYZ company if your spouting the praise of XYZ products. Just tell me your relationship and say what you will. Its not that your getting paid , it's if your taking it under the table and acting like your not.
As far as the NFA REVIEW CHANNEL, i have not watched enough of Jays videos to know much, I do know they are interesting and valuable.
View Quote

That EE feedback
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top