Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/7/2019 11:40:46 AM EDT
I am not sure why Sig made this variant, when we already have the MPX-K model.  The barrel length on the Copperhad is 3.5" (less than a standard handgun) and only 1" shorter than the MPX-K model.

There are no M-lok rails or Keymod, and only a proprietary interface on the side for potential short rails later on.

I see no reason to waste another $1800 on a gun that is only 1" shorter than the MPX-K.  What are your thoughts?

Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
My biggest complaint is the muzzle device/design seems to impede on the possibility of getting a can onto it. I get that it probably wasn't designed around it but I love being able to throw a can on my PCCs.

With the posted price at 1800, it should be 1600 or less at the actual shops, so this could be considered the economy model for people that might still be hesitant at the 1900+ price tag of the standard.

Kind of lame that they ditched the ejection door.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I think they said the "muzzle brake" or whatever is integral. It looks like shit.

But the advances on the lower lower with the integrated latch for the telescoping stock is cool, and definitely an upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#3]
But a 3.5" barrel is too short to have decent power in 9mm  (the integrated flash hider is measured as part of the barrel length, so the barrel is shorter).  You  would be getting compact handgun speeds out of it at best.   I do like the integrated brace knuckle, I do like the monolithic upper with low profile, but I already own a MPX-K and can't see any reason why I would want this one over that.

I believe they released this one fast due to the CZ Scorpion Micro being delayed and wanted to hit the micro market first.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But a 3.5" barrel is too short to have decent power in 9mm  (the integrated flash hider is measured as part of the barrel length, so the barrel is shorter).  You  would be getting compact handgun speeds out of it at best.   I do like the integrated brace knuckle, I do like the monolithic upper with low profile, but I already own a MPX-K and can't see any reason why I would want this one over that.

I believe they released this one fast due to the CZ Scorpion Micro being delayed and wanted to hit the micro market first.
View Quote
Why do you feel a 3.5" barrel isn't enough? Most individuals use 147 grain rounds which perform just fine out of a 3.5" barrel and is within 20-40fps of the 4-5 inch barrels.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I just don’t understand the appeal of a carbine with the barrel length of a handgun.  What does this do better than a Sig P320 or M17 with an extended mag and mini RDS?  At what point does the barrel length get to be too short and the price too high for a “carbine”, that it’s better to just get a normal handgun?  What’s next, one with a 2” barrel?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
IMO the biggest takeaway is the ultra short/compact sliding brace. That attachment point is inches smaller than the current one. Very cool.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Does this mean the prices on the older MPX models will come down some????
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just don’t understand the appeal of a carbine with the barrel length of a handgun.  What does this do better than a Sig P320 or M17 with an extended mag and mini RDS?  At what point does the barrel length get to be too short and the price too high for a “carbine”, that it’s better to just get a normal handgun?  What’s next, one with a 2” barrel?
View Quote
It results in faster follow up shots and a more stable shooting platform.

A PCC will always out shoot a handgun.

ETA: This is 9mm we are talking about, it doesn't truly gain much by doing an 8", 12" or 16" barrel. Most of the rounds developed for it are designed to expand from barrels ranging from 3"-5", so why bother with the added bulk for nominal gains in velocity?

What I really want Sig to make is a damned 10mm MPX with a 8" barrel, that would be something awesome.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
IMO the biggest takeaway is the ultra short/compact sliding brace. That attachment point is inches smaller than the current one. Very cool.
View Quote
That brace should result in some massive weight savings. Looks to be a polymer piece at the end without the need of the heavy metal connecting piece.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw one in person at the local Scheels... They're just as ugly in person. Shorter brace/rear is nice for the collapsing model only... Eh. Also an integrated 3-lug would have been WORLDS ahead of that weird looking claw/FH.

Would have been neat for them to integrate a spring-assist open on the slider rails. Seems like it would be easy enough to do.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ETA: This is 9mm we are talking about, it doesn't truly gain much by doing an 8", 12" or 16" barrel. Most of the rounds developed for it are designed to expand from barrels ranging from 3"-5", so why bother with the added bulk for nominal gains in velocity?

What I really want Sig to make is a damned 10mm MPX with a 8" barrel, that would be something awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. I think the “why not just use a pistol” people have never put the rounds downrange and compares the two. Stocked guns are far superior in almost every way.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Let me just say that if the integrated collapsible stock option makes its way to a stripped MCX receiver, I will buy one immediately.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
This makes zero sense.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This makes zero sense.
View Quote
It actually does. This gives you a package that is incredibly small that can fit in just about any small backpack but produces more accurate firepower than a concealed handgun.

It clearly isn't intended for main use PCC/SMG but rather ultimate in concealment.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am not sure why Sig made this variant, when we already have the MPX-K model.  The barrel length on the Copperhad is 3.5" (less than a standard handgun) and only 1" shorter than the MPX-K model.

There are no M-lok rails or Keymod, and only a proprietary interface on the side for potential short rails later on.

I see no reason to waste another $1800 on a gun that is only 1" shorter than the MPX-K.  What are your thoughts?

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/media/custom/product/mpxcopperhead-gallery-2.jpg
View Quote
My local shop has some on order and they tell me to expect them to be available late February / early March at a price of around $1,450.00. This shop does buy a shit ton of guns at a time and have the lowest prices I have seen anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It actually does. This gives you a package that is incredibly small that can fit in just about any small backpack but produces more accurate firepower than a concealed handgun.

It clearly isn't intended for main use PCC/SMG but rather ultimate in concealment.
View Quote
While agree to a point...I still don't see the $$$ justification for this...and I am a big MCX/MPX fan.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
While agree to a point...I still don't see the $$$ justification for this...and I am a big MCX/MPX fan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only way I'd buy this is if I had cash to burn and bills paid off. I have a 4.5" MPXK pistol, the size difference to me isn't worth it.

That being stated, someone out there might be looking for something that is extremely small, which is where this factors in. Also it is a MSRP on Sigs site of 1800 which should mean a street price at or under 1600.

Again, I still won't be buying it but I can appreciate what they are going for.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
This gun is the result of the Army’s SMG contract I am assuming. The army wanted it as small as possible while keeping the magazine out of the grip and this seems to do that.

Do we know those screws on the handguard are an interface?  It seems like it would be barrel mounting as the screws for the barrel are not where they would otherwise be located.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#19]
For all the people commenting on the barrel length and velocity. Read these numbers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd rather have this:

Plus this:

for less than 1/2 the price.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Actually will be somewhere around half the price, not less.

You'd also have something that is 4+ inches longer than this MPX.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Psa sells the g19 for $499.00 regularly and CAA sells the the MCK roni for $250.00.

Id provide links, but on my phone and its a pia.

ETA: looks like CAA is coming out with a Sig and MP version of the MCK as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#23]
http://soldiersystems.net/page/2/

I am hoping this one gets released in semi only. The FDE is pretty fugly.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Psa sells the g19 for $499.00 regularly and CAA sells the the MCK roni for $250.00.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough but the price of this MPX will be lower than the posted price by 300 or so, no Sig ever sells at the posted MSRP price.

I'm surprised CAA doesn't just make a drop in unit for the P320 trigger pack to make it into a PCC, easy enough to do.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I will definitely pick one up when they are available.  My justification for spending $$$..........I am always looking for the shortest, smallest, lightest, stripped down PDW I can get my hands on.  That is why I already have an SBR'd VZ61 Scorpion, & SBR'd Micro UZI, & SBR'd Kriss Vector, & an SBR'd MP5-K clone, & SBR'd Mini Draco & a braced Scorpion Evo3 S1.

Was at my local shop today and they confirmed they have a couple dozen of these coming in mid February and they will be charging $1,449.00
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I will definitely pick one up when they are available.  My justification for spending $$$..........I am always looking for the shortest, smallest, lightest, stripped down PDW I can get my hands on.  That is why I already have an SBR'd VZ61 Scorpion, & SBR'd Micro UZI, & SBR'd Kriss Vector, & an SBR'd MP5-K clone, & SBR'd Mini Draco & a braced Scorpion Evo3 S1.

Was at my local shop today and they confirmed they have a couple dozen of these coming in mid February and they will be charging $1,449.00
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mind posting a review, when you get your hands on it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Mind posting a review, when you get your hands on it?
View Quote
Absolutely will, no problem.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't tell from the pics, does this thing accept AR grips?
Anybody know the collapsed OAL reduction over the "old" MPX?

ETA, decided to be a man and look it up OAL is 8" shorter!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I sure hope that thing is threaded.
MPX Barrel is $600
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I sure hope that thing is threaded.
MPX Barrel is $600
View Quote
Per their release, it's integrated to the barrel. So shouldn't be a threaded barrel at all.

ETA: Should accept standard grips, in the pic above it's using the same grip found on the MCX Rattler which also can utilize standard AR15 grips.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Called the LGS this morning and placed an order for one. Hope to see it this week or weekend.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think this the civilian version of the SIG sub compact weapon submitted to the Army’s PDW solicitation.

Makes more sense when framed as a tiny select fire PDW.
View Quote
I just don't understand the omission of threads or the ability to mount a can.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#37]
No ability to mount a can?  Im confused...
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No ability to mount a can?  Im confused...
View Quote
lol read the posts directly above yours
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would assume significant issues with functionality due to the short bbl with the piston.

If they make it physically impossible to put a can on it, it will be less problematic than putting "suppressor will void warranty" in the manual and dealing with everyone doing it anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don't understand the omission of threads or the ability to mount a can.
I would assume significant issues with functionality due to the short bbl with the piston.

If they make it physically impossible to put a can on it, it will be less problematic than putting "suppressor will void warranty" in the manual and dealing with everyone doing it anyways.
That was what I theorized in the GD thread on this.

I'm just happy that Sig offers the military contract bid weapons to us average Joe citizens.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I think it is ugly as shit.  I have an 8 inch love it, but no way would I buy that thing.  The k is already tiny.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think it is ugly as shit.  I have an 8 inch love it, but no way would I buy that thing.  The k is already tiny.
View Quote
Same here.
Have an 8 inch and K model but won't be adding that thing. It's uglier than a bag of dicks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I think it looks beauuuuutiful and will be adding one to my PCC/PDW collection as soon as my LGS gets them in (they say mid February. They also say my price will be $1,449.00).
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think it looks beauuuuutiful and will be adding one to my PCC/PDW collection as soon as my LGS gets them in (they say mid February. They also say my price will be $1,449.00).
View Quote
Well you are one of the few. That thing is hideous looking to say the least. Flash hider serves no purpose whatsoever.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well you are one of the few. That thing is hideous looking to say the least. Flash hider serves no purpose whatsoever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It doesn’t suppress the flash at all?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm wondering that too. To be honest, it's like Sig thought "hey let's give them that barrel split from a squib look out of the box"

Also you put that in a bag and it'll get all kinds of hung up.

Seen one in person. Looks like a giant turd. Much rather have that B&T Aimpoint Nano gun if you need a select fire pistol with a stock cause ballisticly that's all this is
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 1:11:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm wondering that too. To be honest, it's like Sig thought "hey let's give them that barrel split from a squib look out of the box"

Seen one in person. Looks like a giant turd. Much rather have that B&T Aimpoint Nano gun if you need a select fire pistol with a stock cause ballisticly that's all this is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't shot a USW but I have a hard time believing it's as easy to shoot as fast and accurately as a heavier gas piston gun. Just because it's a short barrel doesn't make them comparable in terms of how they shoot. PCC threads are always full of people saying similar stuff about why not just have a pistol and it is clear to me they don't spend much time shooting nor ever matched up the guns they are talking down.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 1:55:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I haven't shot a USW but I have a hard time believing it's as easy to shoot as fast and accurately as a heavier gas piston gun. Just because it's a short barrel doesn't make them comparable in terms of how they shoot. PCC threads are always full of people saying similar stuff about why not just have a pistol and it is clear to me they don't spend much time shooting nor ever matched up the guns they are talking down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get the love for the 8"+ PCCs personally. At the end of the day, we are still shooting a pistol caliber round. It does not actually gain all that much, when slapping a longer barrel to it. Yes it does get more velocity but what does that translate to when most of the rounds are designed in the 3"-5" barrel lengths anyway.

To boot, the OAL of something like an MP5 is close to that of a 10.3 AR/MCX/SCAR and if you're already the size of a SBR, may as well just use the rifle caliber for more effective terminal ballistics.

With a MPXK or the Copperhead, I'm capable of putting superior firepower (rounds fired accurately) over that of a traditional handgun but still carry it in a relatively small pack/bag. The bag size won't scream firearm, as the larger platform bags tend to do and won't be all that heavy.

I'd much rather engage an opponent with a 3.5" PCC than a 4" G19.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don't get the love for the 8"+ PCCs personally. At the end of the day, we are still shooting a pistol caliber round. It does not actually gain all that much, when slapping a longer barrel to it. Yes it does get more velocity but what does that translate to when most of the rounds are designed in the 3"-5" barrel lengths anyway.

To boot, the OAL of something like an MP5 is close to that of a 10.3 AR/MCX/SCAR and if you're already the size of a SBR, may as well just use the rifle caliber for more effective terminal ballistics.

With a MPXK or the Copperhead, I'm capable of putting superior firepower (rounds fired accurately) over that of a traditional handgun but still carry it in a relatively small pack/bag. The bag size won't scream firearm, as the larger platform bags tend to do and won't be all that heavy.

View Quote
You and I are on the same page. Doesn’t happen that often with you Texans
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, seems we are on the same page but I would be remiss to call myself a Texan. I am a conservative transplant seeking refuge from the liberal left coast.

If not for funds being tight right now, I would pick up one of the Copperheads. I honestly like the design, it is a bit of an ugly oddball duckling but I prefer those as they have a bit of personality to them. With having the MPXK already, this just doesn't rank high enough to warrant a buy.

It would have gone perfect next to my G19X too and made the diehard Glock fans have their heads explode by 2 firearms they feel are pointless.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top