Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2021 9:34:11 PM EDT
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wME34Idfn_c

This seems to be everything the breach could have been. It's new but has anyone had a chance to look through one? Video looks amazing but its a lot of coin and there's not much out there yet. I was advised that a breach wouldn't work for navigation. Would this in a helmet mount work for that. Image quality looks as good as high end night vision. Is there something else that makes thermal inappropriate for navigation? Seems that on 1x it would make a great weapon sight.

Bonus that it actually seems to be in stock at several places.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#1]
They are starting to trickle out.  At least two user reviews on the hide.

It seems to be a winner.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
So has anyone tried taking a stroll with one? If I buy one it will be my only nv/thermal at least for now so it would have to work for navigation and as a weapon site. I know switching between the 2 is not ideal but I think with practice it would be doable. Are the helmet mounts some form of quick release? Having watched a ton of video I've come to the conclusion I'd rather have one high quality device vrs 2 mediocre ones. My primary purpose is for home defense so the 1x on this is very appealing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thermal is a poor choice for home defense. It can’t see through glass, doesn’t have the resolution to identify people properly, and you can’t use IR lasers with it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thermal is a poor choice for home defense. It can’t see through glass, doesn’t have the resolution to identify people properly, and you can’t use IR lasers with it.
View Quote

I am aware of these shortcomings. Let's say defense of my home instead. I have a fairly large property and live in a very rural area.

If anything were to happen inside my home I would use an aimpoint and weapon light.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92237/IMG_4360-1765560.jpg

They just started shipping the 18mm units. The 35mm units have not begun shipping yet.

I bought an 18mm that came in our first shipment, all I can say is WOW!!!  

I'm not a huge thermal fan but I really like this.

Yes, it's all the Breach was supposed to be- AND MORE!!!

Built in dovetail mount so no jury rigging to helmet mount. Built in weapon mount, so no jury rigging there either.

Very solid unit, well built and good warranty.

Resolution is sick!  

If I can get away from the phone lines for 10 minutes one of these days we are going to get more pics and post them.

Couple more teasers from my EE listing for them-

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92237/IMG_4361-1765562.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92237/IMG_4363-1765564.jpg
View Quote

how would you compare it to the Iray mh25 in terms of range/durability/image quality?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm really curious how this works as a dual band setup. Also how fast in reality it is to unmount and put it on a gun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:22:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm really curious how this works as a dual band setup. Also how fast in reality it is to unmount and put it on a gun.
View Quote

It crossed my mind that if everything was quick disconnect that if u had 2 units it would give you a lot of flexibility. Not that I can afford 2 at this point. For example if you have one on your left eye and one on your rifle can you shoot both eyes open red dot style?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:58:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I think it depends on what kind of navigation your talking about. For walking your property/ homestead that you know very well with no surprises? Sure its great, it'd say even better than NV for spotting warm blooded things. But I wouldn't want to go somewhere uncharted with steep elevation, depth perception can be misleading. Depending on your terrain/ vegetation thermal will be invaluable to finding a trespasser, intruder.

For more info on dual band I will refer you to @will-1 thread.

Dual Band
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think it depends on what kind of navigation your talking about. For walking your property/ homestead that you know very well with no surprises? Sure its great, it'd say even better than NV for spotting warm blooded things. But I wouldn't want to go somewhere uncharted with steep elevation, depth perception can be misleading. Depending on your terrain/ vegetation thermal will be invaluable to finding a trespasser, intruder.

For more info on dual band I will refer you to @will-1 thread.

Dual Band
View Quote

Ideally navigation would consist of crossing a dark room to crack a window and look outside but having the option to move around outside would be nice. I followed the recent review on here on the breach and its image quality was noticeably worse than a pvs14 especially in cold weather.

The NOX seems to be comparable to a pvs14 in detail a depth perception. The video above seems to have been shot in the snow which makes it all the more impressive. I would plan to have a pvs14 or 2nd NOX down the road but for now this would max out my budget and would have to be a jack of all trades.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, I have to say, I had no info on this product and now I want one!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They just started shipping the 18mm units. The 35mm units have not begun shipping yet.

Built in dovetail mount so no jury rigging to helmet mount. Built in weapon mount, so no jury rigging there either.

Resolution is sick!  

If I can get away from the phone lines for 10 minutes one of these days we are going to get more pics and post them.

View Quote

Stop making me poor!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know what the reticles look like/ function?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Id love to hear more about this
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ideally navigation would consist of crossing a dark room to crack a window and look outside but having the option to move around outside would be nice. I followed the recent review on here on the breach and its image quality was noticeably worse than a pvs14 especially in cold weather.

The NOX seems to be comparable to a pvs14 in detail a depth perception. The video above seems to have been shot in the snow which makes it all the more impressive. I would plan to have a pvs14 or 2nd NOX down the road but for now this would max out my budget and would have to be a jack of all trades.
View Quote

Ranger993 is correct regarding thermal not being able to provide the same visual details as a PVS-14. Thermal relies on contrasting temperatures whereas analog uses available light. Atmospheric conditions can have a significant effect on thermal that cannot be remedied whereas with analog even the worst lighting conditions can be remedied by turning on an infrared light. Using IR also reveals additional visual information such as depressions in the ground. You're also basically looking at a small tv screen whereas analog night vision feels natural and provides your eyes/brain with the sensation that you're looking straight through the tube. (ETA: these are reasons why NV is better for movement).

The NOX's single dovetail location and the size & location of the battery compartment will likely mean it has to be run on the right eye which may or may not work well for everyone. I'm right eye dominant and found that the -14 works best on my right eye in a dual band setup running both devices simultaneously. Others run it on their left eye. Having the option to choose aids in successfully implementing a dual band setup.

I hope I've made it clear in the other thread that I wouldn't pursue a dual band thermal + NV setup with the sole intention of having a "fused" system. Where a dual band setup excels is a dedicated thermal provides a superior thermal image and head mounted it is superior for longer periods of scanning. You use the night vision for movement (stalking animals, etc.) and targeting (IR laser) either closing your thermal eye or leaving both eyes open. The thermal allows you to quickly identify it's location because it's already right in front of your face ready to go.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm new to NV and have a couple of questions related to the Nox.

Is N vision known for making quality products? Do they have good customer service?

This thing looks awesome, but I would hate to spend 6k and regret it later.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ranger993 is correct regarding thermal not being able to provide the same visual details as a PVS-14. Thermal relies on contrasting temperatures whereas analog uses available light. Atmospheric conditions can have a significant effect on thermal that cannot be remedied whereas with analog even the worst lighting conditions can be remedied by turning on an infrared light. Using IR also reveals additional visual information such as depressions in the ground. You're also basically looking at a small tv screen whereas analog night vision feels natural and provides your eyes/brain with the sensation that you're looking straight through the tube. (ETA: these are reasons why NV is better for movement).

The NOX's single dovetail location and the size & location of the battery compartment will likely mean it has to be run on the right eye which may or may not work well for everyone. I'm right eye dominant and found that the -14 works best on my right eye in a dual band setup running both devices simultaneously. Others run it on their left eye. Having the option to choose aids in successfully implementing a dual band setup.

I hope I've made it clear in the other thread that I wouldn't pursue a dual band thermal + NV setup with the sole intention of having a "fused" system. Where a dual band setup excels is a dedicated thermal provides a superior thermal image and head mounted it is superior for longer periods of scanning. You use the night vision for movement (stalking animals, etc.) and targeting (IR laser) either closing your thermal eye or leaving both eyes open. The thermal allows you to quickly identify it's location because it's already right in front of your face ready to go.
View Quote

Thanks. I don't intend to do the dual band thing. I think If I got a pvs14 I'd have that helmet mounted and the nox would become a dedicated weapon sight only being removed for scanning as a hand held. The only dual setup I could see myself having is if I'm happy with the nox for navigation getting a second one and mounting both of them to the helmet if I was negotiating difficult terrain but from what your saying that might not be possible.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Resolution is sick!  

View Quote

So do you have these that we can actually buy right now? My experience with thermal stuff is a lot of sites list stuff in stock but in reality your just getting on a waiting list.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I as well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is N vision known for making quality products? Do they have good customer service?

View Quote

I dunno about customer service, everything about N Vision tells me they are good to go.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#22]
So, to answer my own question about reticle choice, from a vid I saw , it appears the Nox 35 uses the same reticle the Halo series does.  So I would assume the 18 would as well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I have about 25 hours behind it so far.  I’ll do a more thorough review when I get more time behind it.  My initial impression is that it’s more geared towards rifle mounted use vs head mounted.  There are some very simple aftermarket solutions that could help with that.  But I’ll write more later.  The image is stellar.  Overall very impressive piece of equipment

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dovetail can be swapped.  It can be run on either eye.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

N vision is legit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

N vision is legit.
View Quote

Thanks.

I'd be interested in see how well it returns to zero after unmounting and remounting. Also how temp might affect poi.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

People have been putting in pre-orders for these since October. They have just started shipping the 18mm units as mentioned above. We are working through our pre-order list. You are NOT charged until your order is ready to ship but it's going to be a long while before enough of these are produced for them to be sitting on shelves. Best bet is to get in line, it's cost you nothing and gets you in the que to get one.
View Quote

@Lowdown3 Robert, I guess getting an XLS BNVDs WP is going to have some competition on which gets bought first. This definitely is everything the Breach could/should have been.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have about 25 hours behind it so far.  I’ll do a more thorough review when I get more time behind it.  My initial impression is that it’s more geared towards rifle mounted use vs head mounted.  There are some very simple aftermarket solutions that could help with that.  But I’ll write more later.  The image is stellar.  Overall very impressive piece of equipment

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62932/A5897B96-940D-46BB-9221-BD615631D65E-1780933.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62932/DCD14FE1-95A3-49EA-99E6-6B85DCFEABD8-1780934.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62932/19FD947A-999C-4D16-BAAC-0CD5142C904A-1780936.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62932/E6E2275E-87E0-4BCF-82F5-B88C0A39AADC-1780937.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62932/52A8DCA6-6DFD-408D-8BD8-52AD7A423B53-1780940.jpg
View Quote

I figured you went this route when I saw the MH25 for sale. I have so many questions lol

Do you have anything to offer on the control function or accessing them in a bridged configuration?
What about adjustment range in the bridge with the NOX's physical profile?
I've found myself using the MH25 zoom while scanning a lot more than I ever imagined I would since I have a TWS. It's just so easy on the china skeet. I'm assuming its a 1 button operation on the NOX but is it easy to access and operate without annoyance from mounting in either position?
Same questions regarding manual NUC and changing options while bridged.

It feels to me like this is best laid out as a small TWS that could be helmet mounted on occasion but I'd love to hear the impressions of someone regularly using the equipment as intended.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Is it a manual focus?  Can you focus on up close stuff??
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:23:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I figured you went this route when I saw the MH25 for sale. I have so many questions lol

Do you have anything to offer on the control function or accessing them in a bridged configuration?
I've found myself using the MH25 zoom while scanning a lot more than I ever imagined I would since I have a TWS. It's just so easy on the china skeet. I'm assuming its a 1 button operation on the NOX but is it easy to access and operate without annoyance from mounting in either position?

It feels to me like this is best laid out as a small TWS that could be helmet mounted on occasion but I'd love to hear the impressions of someone regularly using the equipment as intended.
View Quote

I have kicked China to the curb.  I looked at the ChinaSkeet...and I just cant.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:47:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I just ordered a Super Hogster. Now this has me reconsidering. Fair bit of extra coin though.

No native magnification either, but the picture looks so good that with the digital zoom it may not matter?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:26:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have kicked China to the curb.  I looked at the ChinaSkeet...and I just cant.
View Quote

typed from your Chinese smart phone after eating your steak that was processed in a Chinese owned processing plant?

Truly, No one cares about virtue signaling. This is just the land of performance.

Buy what is within your budget and works best for the job that is being done.
There's definitely nothing under $6k offered currently that can touch the "chinaskeet" as a HMT, Maybe nothing under $9k
When there is I'll look at it if it has a decent warranty and an established US based repair facility.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Similar pricing with the Arfcom discount on the Nox units also
View Quote

I'm not sure if you just don't like dead presidents or you just want to hook people up as many people as possible with kit, but your prices are going to get a lot of use divorced.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks.

I'd be interested in see how well it returns to zero after unmounting and remounting. Also how temp might affect poi.
View Quote

it comes with an ADM mount so the RTZ would be as good as the mount.  I don't use adm mounts but they seem to be popular so im guessing they are GTG.  Ive never experienced poi change with temp variation with thermal devices so id guess there probably wouldn't be any with this one.  Ive only used it head mounted (I took the rifle mount off) so that's all conjecture.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So I'm assuming you'd use the circle dot for up close stuff. Maybe a silly question bot can you light up the center red dot style or illuminate the whole circle dot? Overall how suitable is it for fast short range shenanigans?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I haven't used it on a rifle.  The reticles don't have a setting to change the color.  Personally I don't like that reticle - its hard to pick up.  But some might.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

The reason I want to wait to write a lot is because I want to learn the unit more.  With a skeet, reap, thermion, or mh25 I've used them so much I can pretty much run through all the settings without having to think about it or look at it.  I haven't learned this one like that yet.

It has a 5 button setup - 4 to select/toggle and one nuc.  The buttons are easy enough to use if you have it on the right eye but if you are using it on the left eye you either have to flip up the thermal or flip up your 14 to make adjustments.  It does not have a quick menu, only the full menu.

If you flip the image so you can use it on your left eye, the reticle cannot be turned on.  But if you are using it on your left eye you can't use the rifle mount so I don't think that matters.

Like all other bae cores, this one does not have an internal shutter.  Not a huge deal but it is really nice to have on a head mounted unit IMO.  The screen quality is excellent.

It does not have a PIP mode, which to me is extremely helpful on a HMT.

Image setting adjustability is superb.  You can control region of interest (which I absolutely love), brightness, ce, sharpness, gamma.  You give up a little bit of convenience without having a quick menu but you gain quite a bit of fine tuning ability with the detailed menu on this one.

Adjustability in conjunction with a bridge is lacking quite a bit.  But I have a few ideas that I'm working on that will fix that.  

My initial impression is that it is not something to compare to the MH25.  It is something to compare to the Skeet.  The MH25 shines in a helmet mounted role but you can't put it on a rifle.  The NOX is more like a Skeet without clip on capability, and at half the price.  It works pretty well as a helmet mounted unit and can also be used as a rifle mounted unit.  It really is an impressive unit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I haven't used it on a rifle.  The reticles don't have a setting to change the color.  Personally I don't like that reticle - its hard to pick up.  But some might.
View Quote

Any plans to try it on a rifle soon? Getting ready to pre order and I'd love to know if it sucks. I like the versatility but its performance as a weapon sight is my overriding priority. I'm particularly interested in knowing how fast it is on 1x. If its mediocre I can get a hogster for less than half the cost.

And if I have this right the reticles are just computer programming and could potentially be modified with software updates....
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Got on the waiting list with JRH Enterprises. Was told about 4 weeks. Price was very good. Definitely worth a call.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Any plans to try it on a rifle soon? Getting ready to pre order and I'd love to know if it sucks. I like the versatility but its performance as a weapon sight is my overriding priority. I'm particularly interested in knowing how fast it is on 1x. If its mediocre I can get a hogster for less than half the cost.

And if I have this right the reticles are just computer programming and could potentially be modified with software updates....
View Quote

No, don't really have any plans to rifle mount it any time soon because I wouldn't have helmet mounted thermal then.  Its very similar to the Halo LR if you are familiar with those button setups and menu format.  If you are looking for something fast, this has a much larger fov than the hogster 25mm - 24.3 x 18.3 vs 14.9 x 11.2.  It also has a 60hz refresh rate vs the hogster at 50hz although im not sure you would notice the difference practically.  Resolution is obviously much better.  But its more than 2x the price of the hogster.

Is there anything specific you are wondering about regarding rifle mounting it?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How do you go about zero-ing though? Through the 4-way buttons?
View Quote

Yes, just go to the main menu, select zeroing, and adjust the zero with the buttons.  Its pretty intuitive and just like the way you do it on the halo lr.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No, don't really have any plans to rifle mount it any time soon because I wouldn't have helmet mounted thermal then.  Its very similar to the Halo LR if you are familiar with those button setups and menu format.  If you are looking for something fast, this has a much larger fov than the hogster 25mm - 24.3 x 18.3 vs 14.9 x 11.2.  It also has a 60hz refresh rate vs the hogster at 50hz although im not sure you would notice the difference practically.  Resolution is obviously much better.  But its more than 2x the price of the hogster.

Is there anything specific you are wondering about regarding rifle mounting it?
View Quote

That pretty much covers it. For me its for bump in the night situations. I don't hunt so I'm looking for something that is geared towards fast and close. My property is an island of light in the woods and I've become more conscious lately that anything standing just outside that island can see us and we can't see them. This was driven home recently when the local coyote back came down into the unoccupied lot next door and killed several of the semi feral cats that lived there. This went on for half hour or so and there being thick undergrowth flashlights were useless and we were helpless to do anything about it. The yotes gave zero fucks about us shinning lights and yelling despite us being only yards away at times.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#47]
OP,

How do you plan to engage your targets with just a helmet mounted thermal?

Background on my question:

I've never used helmet mounted thermal before but I've used vehicle/backpack units quite a bit in the Army with a little time behind weapon mounted.

Judging from the pictures posted, this unit would work well for navigating but thermal is traditionally used for detection and NV is more for navigating, a lot of features are hidden from thermal that are obvious to NV and the same goes for the opposite.

We use stereoscopic clues (two eye image) for depth but beyond about 3-4 feet, monocular clues are sufficient.  While a helmet mounted thermal may help you detect something, shooting it is going to be tough without a way to aim.  If your goal is to find it with the thermal then go white light, rock on.  But if you don't have a way to aim your weapon, thermal will only tell you that something is there.

I've spent the last two years saving before I pulled the trigger on my set up.  I have a Hogster and a pvs 14 with laser ordered for just over what you would spend on the nox so maybe I'm just trying to justify my own decisions here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:07:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP,

How do you plan to engage your targets with just a helmet mounted thermal?

Background on my question:

I've never used helmet mounted thermal before but I've used vehicle/backpack units quite a bit in the Army with a little time behind weapon mounted.

Judging from the pictures posted, this unit would work well for navigating but thermal is traditionally used for detection and NV is more for navigating, a lot of features are hidden from thermal that are obvious to NV and the same goes for the opposite.

We use stereoscopic clues (two eye image) for depth but beyond about 3-4 feet, monocular clues are sufficient.  While a helmet mounted thermal may help you detect something, shooting it is going to be tough without a way to aim.  If your goal is to find it with the thermal then go white light, rock on.  But if you don't have a way to aim your weapon, thermal will only tell you that something is there.

I've spent the last two years saving before I pulled the trigger on my set up.  I have a Hogster and a pvs 14 with laser ordered for just over what you would spend on the nox so maybe I'm just trying to justify my own decisions here.
View Quote

I also ordered 2 of the cheaper pvs14 from tnvc that just came back in stock. Will get 2 head mounts for these for me and the wife as well as some IR lasers. I figure that with the nox will give us a lot of flexibility. I have no experience using this stuff but figure its best to get it in hand now and figure the rest out later.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top