Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2023 1:33:26 PM EDT
Went to a military show last month and ran across someone selling several interesting Milsurps. One of them was a New England Westinghouse M91 in pretty good condition. I do have a Finn property merked NEW already, but this one is in much better condition. This on appears to have been delivered to Russia and was subject to Russian maintenance and parts mismatching, unfortunately. It was one for the collection, though, so I picked it up. No import marks I can find anywhere on the rifle.

What do you all think?

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Good score, I love the long infantry rifles of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking N.E.W. M91. The lack of import marks and the wire hanger on the rear sling slot makes it most likely a Spanish Civil War veteran. Some of these got to Spain via the Soviets and others were donated to the Spanish Republicans by Mexico, that serial number falls into the range of a rifle that should have been shipped to Russia prior to the contract default so it was most likely provided to Spain by the Soviets. These rifles were rebuilt by the Spanish after the Spanish Civil war so it's not uncommon to find them with Soviet era Mosin parts installed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool, looks like it might have a Spanish made replacement stock
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice looking N.E.W. M91. The lack of import marks and the wire hanger on the rear sling slot makes it most likely a Spanish Civil War veteran. Some of these got to Spain via the Soviets and others were donated to the Spanish Republicans by Mexico, that serial number falls into the range of a rifle that should have been shipped to Russia prior to the contract default so it was most likely provided to Spain by the Soviets. These rifles were rebuilt by the Spanish after the Spanish Civil war so it's not uncommon to find them with Soviet era Mosin parts installed.
View Quote

An SCW? Damn. I never thought of that!

That makes two SCW M91 in my collection.

Thanks for the information!
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good score, I love the long infantry rifles of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
View Quote

I'm really a sucker for them, too.

Really interesting rifles.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very cool, looks like it might have a Spanish made replacement stock
View Quote

Anything I should look for to confirm it's a Spanish stock?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#7]
That is cool.  I drive by where that receiver was made a couple times a week.

thanks for sharing.

how does it shoot after all these years?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That is cool.  I drive by where that receiver was made a couple times a week.

thanks for sharing.

how does it shoot after all these years?
View Quote

Decent enough, but I've not taken the time to do more than shoot it with random surplus ammo.

I'm not so interested in the accuracy as I am the history. It probably won't get shot enough to find out what it can really do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top