Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/11/2018 4:40:01 PM EDT
I have owned 3 Benelli M4 shotguns over the past 12 years.  I have never owned or shot the short barreled version.  My variants had the standard full size pistol grip stock as well as the skeleton collapsible stocks.  I've had ones with the abbreviated mag tube, and ones with the full length mag tube.  I have shot thousands of rounds of slugs, buckshot, birdshot ( real light weight stuff to real heavy turkey loads and steel waterfowl loads as well ).  I have shot the gun with a red dot on top, ghost rings only, and different rifle scopes trying to make slug hits and hundreds of yards (just messing around type of stuff).
I have only owned 1 Beretta 1301, it is completely stock.  I have also shot a wide variety of ammo through it, mine is the tactical so it doesn't have choke tubes like the M4.

Let me simply say, I am not an expert and I don't claim to be one.  This is my opinion based on my experiences, your experiences may lead you to different conclusions.

The Benelli M4 is physically a better built gun, I have simply never held a better built shotgun than a Benelli M4.  With that said the 1301 is a very well built, very well assembled gun and I can't find anyplace that they left anything lose or not centered properly.  The M4 has a lot of metal parts that Beretta chose to sub plastic instead.  For example the rear sight and the rail are both plastic, I'm not saying that's bad but there is a reason there is a aftermarket community because of shortcuts like that.  The M4 new goes anywhere from $1,500-2,000 I believe depending on model, the 1301 I paid 750 out the door brand new.  With the price difference maybe it isn't fair to compare the two guns?  I don't think so because Beretta is clearly going for the American civilian looking for a tactical shotgun and the M4 is THE tactical shotgun.  
My Beretta has never had a malfunction, not one.  My Benellis all had issues feeding low brass birdshot, I don't have an issue with this because the gun is designed to run slugs and buck but it is relevant info for a civilian purchaser.  
The Beretta trigger is a much better trigger in my opinion, I don't know how much this matters for a shotgun being kept in a bedroom but for that kind of coin I would expect a better trigger from Benelli.  
Both guns run a gas system that both companies claim will keep the gun very clean inside and will require very little maintenance.  I have found that to be true of both.

I think the Beretta is easier to reload, my fingers simply don't get caught in the Beretta like they do in the Benelli (they also get caught in my super black eagle 2 when hunting but i'd never give that gun up it's an amazing gun)

I like the recoil impulse of the M4 better, I think it's sharp but brief and you can get a rhythm going with it.  The 1301 doesn't have a pistol grip so I simply can't run it quite as fast, I can pull it in tight but the clock doesn't lie.

The M4 has a massive aftermarket support network, the 1301 has a couple of companies with limited products.  No Comparison at all.

Neither guns have ever shown rust (I do oil and clean each time I shoot though) but Benelli does offer a cerakote option now (My super black eagle 2 cam cerakoated and has stood up amazingly to upstate NY winters being drenched during duck season) I don't know what the Beretta protects their steel with.

I've used both in shoot houses and range scenarios with barricades.  I like having a pistol grip because I will often move and mainly hold the gun by the grip with 1 hand, I can't do that with the 1301.  However the 1301 feels a lot more natural to me when I raise the gun from a low position and I can get it on target faster than the Benelli.  My split times are also better with the Beretta but again that probably doesn't matter much in the real world.

In conclusion, I think that for the vast majority of people looking for a run and gun range gun or a home defense shotgun the 1301 is a great option.  At the price point you can add all the aftermarket stuff you want, buy a case of buckshot, and still be in it for less or substantially less than a M4.  
If you want the tried and true Marine door breaching gun the M4 is it and accept no substitute.  The gun is a true beast and as long as you don't expect perfection with birdshot the thing will run and throw lead long after your shoulder tires.

I'm not saying one is better per say than the other, I am saying they are somewhat different guns with radically different prices and that for many people (myself included) having a M4 isn't necessary.  Of course having 30 pistols and ARs and everything else probably isn't necessary but being that this is America spend your money however you like, I've spent a lot to get to the point of making these comments today and I just wanted to suggest that there are many viable options out there that will solve the same problem.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you. As much as I want a M4 the Beretta is tempting.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought a Benelli M4 and I ran ~100 rounds through it in the hopes it would cycle Federal 13300 Low Recoil Flightwad control 00 Buck through it.  It worked about 60-70% of the time.

So I went back and put another 200 rounds of various full powered loads through it and at the end of all of those rounds,  18 round of the 13300 cycled without issue.

I have plenty of upgrades on the way but the problem with the 1301 on the accidental malfunction of the carrier release is a no go for me.  And I don't know why there are complaints about the shell carrier biting when loading, 300 rounds through and 0 issues.  No issues.

Just my experience so far.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the post. I have had my M4 for years now and it is a great shotgun. But I have been eyeing the 1301 for awhile now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Held my 1st 1301 Comp(?) version at an LGS yesterday.  Great for the money.  They were asking a  bit over a fair price iirc, but maybe the Comp version is a higher priced gun.

Another LGS has a used TX4, which seems to be the 1301's predecessor, but without the large mag release, bolt handle/knob, etc.   iirc its $750 used.  Its what got me on the trail of a 1301, which started this whole thing for me just last week, then this thread pops up.

Then yesterday I check out a JM-Pro 930 $599 (used) at the same store, but that 1301 is hard to get outa my mind. It screams quality and smooth.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Held my 1st 1301 Comp(?) version at an LGS yesterday.  Great for the money.  They were asking a  bit over a fair price iirc, but maybe the Comp version is a higher priced gun.

Another LGS has a used TX4, which seems to be the 1301's predecessor, but without the large mag release, bolt handle/knob, etc.   iirc its $750 used.  Its what got me on the trail of a 1301, which started this whole thing for me just last week, then this thread pops up.

Then yesterday I check out a JM-Pro 930 $599 (used) at the same store, but that 1301 is hard to get outa my mind. It screams quality and smooth.
View Quote
That Mossberg is a mistake waiting for an unwitting fool.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 1301 Comp has always been priced a little higher than the 1301 Tactical version....Longer vent ribbed barrel, built on the longer 3.5" receiver for a larger loading port (but its still a 3" chamber), comes with screw in choke tubes, etc.

The 930 at $599 is almost new price, regardless.... avoid the 930 in any version...for every owner that tells you their 930 has been flawless for over 200 rounds you will find multiple disappointed 930 owners that tell you it a bucket o' problems to keep running.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Lucky Gunner did a video on the 1301 where they addressed the pros and cons.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2hbmGIyZ2c

As noted above by some people the 1301 has a major failure point.  The lever the drops the carrier if pushed on the back can basically make the gun a single shot gun by stopping the ammo from feeding.  Mechanically inclined people, and the lucky gunner video explain this better than me, but it's a Major design flaw.    However, you can fix it with a $15 part or a $60 part depending on how much you care about looks.  This isn't something that might fix the problem, it truly Fixes the problem.  If that is your main concern, and it should be a concern, please take a look at the video and check out the two parts that are suggested.

Besides that, I haven't tested accuracy with slugs.  The Benelli being a choked gun can probably shoot slugs more accurately because you can swap chokes.  As far as a home defense gun I am assuming most people run some sort of multi projectile load and at the distances discussed it probably won't matter much.

My last M4 and my current Super Black Eagle 2 both bit/bite me as I feed them.  I would say it's me being an idiot but everyone who runs the guns complains about the same issue.  I'd also like to point out that the Super Black Eagle 3 has a different shape to the loading area that is supposed to prevent the issue so I'm guessing they were getting complaints.

I would also like to point out that I own and have owned Benellis since I was legally of age to buy guns.  I have remingtons and mossbergs but I hardly consider them in the same league at all.  I have owned winchesters and franchis and wasn't impressed.  The Benelli and Beretta have the smoothest actions of any shotguns i've owned.  They are both gas system guns and I don't really know anything about what a gas system should or shouldnt look like on a shotgun but they both seem well thought out and easy to maintain.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#10]
John Wayne, excellent points and I can see you actually use your guns.  Your loading method makes perfect sense Ill try that this weekend.  Regarding the magpul stock  does the angle of it hurt your wrist?

Thanks,

Woody
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Good write up OP.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nope. The angle is actually really nice...it gives you enough wrist angle to hold the gun one handed to, say, open a door, but not enough that you feel any recoil in the wrist. The Magpul stocks are ugy as shit, but they are the most practical shotgun stock on the market. At least for a defensive scattergun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
John Wayne, excellent points and I can see you actually use your guns.  Your loading method makes perfect sense Ill try that this weekend.  Regarding the magpul stock  does the angle of it hurt your wrist?

Thanks,

Woody
Nope. The angle is actually really nice...it gives you enough wrist angle to hold the gun one handed to, say, open a door, but not enough that you feel any recoil in the wrist. The Magpul stocks are ugy as shit, but they are the most practical shotgun stock on the market. At least for a defensive scattergun.
I haven't used the Magpul but I find the more vertical grip on the hogue works similar.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've used the Magpul stocks, and they are awesome. So are the Benelli PG stocks. I prefer the MP overall, but the Benelli does give me a bit more control using the weapon 1 handed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#15]
For you dudes that are having issues with their thumbs getting stuck in the lifter and you don't want to weld the lifter, here is a cheap option that works:

https://taccom3g.com/product/load-assist/
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

1301's receiver is annodized aluminum. Barrel exterior is a black phosphate finish, interior is chrome lined.

I haven't seen any rust or corrosion issues...and I'm known to use my guns in somewhat messy conditions:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/37749/cold-458338.jpg

Of course, the new 1301's introduced at SHOT can be had in cerakoted finishes now as well if one wishes to go that route.

I've got nothing against the M4 as it's a very good shotgun.

That being said, it doesn't really do anything that I really want to do any better than my 1301s...and they're lighter and totally reliable with everything I cram into them.

Personally I do not like pistol grips on shotguns as they tend to come with stocks that have too long a length of pull, and they tend to load recoil in the shooting wrist. I find that the Magpul SGA lets you do most of the things the PG stock was invented for without bringing all the negative attributes of the PG:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/37749/28467904_934488293379503_954298540583616310_n-479741.jpg
View Quote
I had no idea you could use the Magpul stock on Beretta 1301
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had no idea you could use the Magpul stock on Beretta 1301
View Quote
http://www.aridusindustries.com/products/asa-1301-stock-adapter/
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Everyone has bias but i believe only a fool refuses to listen to others advice and consider its merit.  I am a Glock, Larue tactical, and Benelli guy, i never considered beretta unless it was a side by side (always wanted an expensive one)

i like this shotgun from Beretta more than any semi shotgun ive owned or shot.  I will consider a magpul stock but i am truly amazed with the quality for the price.  I dont know that this replaces any shotguns for me but it might.....   at the least it gives people the option of a top tier defensive shotgun at a price point that is "affordable" when comoared to some of the competition.   Once the snow quits ill try some slugs and buck at 50 yards and less to see how it patterns and what it likes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for posting this thread ($I think$) lol.  Just glad to see I'm not the only one surprised by the value and quality of the 1301/TX4. Makes buying a 930 kinda depressing now, for me anyway.

I have some time tomorrow to run by the LGS and consider buying that used TX4 again. $799 ticket price, looks new.

It seems any mag tube (+2 for me), bolt release button, and bolt knob that fits a 1301 will also fit a TX4?
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 1:30:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting this thread ($I think$) lol.  Just glad to see I'm not the only one surprised by the value and quality of the 1301/TX4. Makes buying a 930 kinda depressing now, for me anyway.

I have some time tomorrow to run by the LGS and consider buying that used TX4 again. $799 ticket price, looks new.

It seems any mag tube (+2 for me), bolt release button, and bolt knob that fits a 1301 will also fit a TX4?
View Quote
The mag tube should. Not sure about the others. The TX4 is an older model about comparable in timeframe to the Beretta 391 Xtrema 2, before the advent of the A400s. Still an awesome shotgun. I trust any 391 or 400 series shotgun implicitly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#25]
My sbe2 was 1200 and came cerakoated.  Its a total champ, i bought it from cabellas on sale.  My friend and i biught the same one.  His got drenched and froze.  We basically had to smash it against the boat to get the ice off.   The thing went from a frozen block to fully functioning.   Duck hunting in the north tests equipment and the benelli did everything we needed it to.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the write up. I've been wanting to try out the Beretta 1301 Comp but haven't got around to it.  My main shotgun is a Benelli M2 with an old M1 as backup.

Regarding the 'Benelli Thumb', or 'bite', here is a trick I learned in old school 3 gunning weak hand loading - Try 'sweeping' the shell in with the upper left corner of your left thumb (I load weak hand) and never insert the tip of your thumb into the loading port, that would keep the thumb outside of the fork tipped shell lever.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Bravo, that makes sense ill try that method.   I know its not a big deal, and it isnt, but tricks like that help for sure.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I shot 75 rounds of 9 bellet 2 3/4" buck and 30 2 3/4" slugs today out of the 1301.  I shot everything standing, no bench or leaning on something so that should be considered when i say what im going to say.   My 1301 shoots slugs at 30 yards and in (max distance i shot) very well.  At 30 yards 5 shot groups varied from 2 3/4" at the smallest and 4 1/4" at the largest.  The average was right around 3".   These were federal power shok rifled slug HP (boight at walmart they only had rifled slugs)

The buckshot was disapointing, at 40 feet it was shooting 10-13" groups with power shok 2 3/4" buckshot and the patterns were awful.   I had two groups where 7 of the pellets were all on the right side and 2 pellets were 11 1/2" away just totally random.    At 30 yards, 90 feet, i was shooting at a cardboard square that 25 x 25" and the most pellets i was able to hit with was 4.  I understand a pistol is a pistol, a rifle is a rifle, and a shotgun is a shotgun but i expected better.  It may be the cheap buckshot but id like to have much tighter groups if possible.  If anyone can recommend some quality buckshot please let me know.   -Woody
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Woody, this is what you seek for buck shot!

Here
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Bigcraig, the link took me to a shopping page but nothing about buckshot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I shot 75 rounds of 9 bellet 2 3/4" buck and 30 2 3/4" slugs today out of the 1301.  I shot everything standing, no bench or leaning on something so that should be considered when i say what im going to say.   My 1301 shoots slugs at 30 yards and in (max distance i shot) very well.  At 30 yards 5 shot groups varied from 2 3/4" at the smallest and 4 1/4" at the largest.  The average was right around 3".   These were federal power shok rifled slug HP (boight at walmart they only had rifled slugs)

The buckshot was disapointing, at 40 feet it was shooting 10-13" groups with power shok 2 3/4" buckshot and the patterns were awful.   I had two groups where 7 of the pellets were all on the right side and 2 pellets were 11 1/2" away just totally random.    At 30 yards, 90 feet, i was shooting at a cardboard square that 25 x 25" and the most pellets i was able to hit with was 4.  I understand a pistol is a pistol, a rifle is a rifle, and a shotgun is a shotgun but i expected better.  It may be the cheap buckshot but id like to have much tighter groups if possible.  If anyone can recommend some quality buckshot please let me know.   -Woody
View Quote
25 yards
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#32]
03rn, your pattern looks a lot better than mine.  Ill try to pick some of that up tomorrow.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Bigcraig, the link took me to a shopping page but nothing about buckshot.
View Quote
hmmm....I just checked the link. It should take you to the Lucky Gunner site for Federal Flightcontrol buckshot rounds.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Yep, Federal LE133 or LE132 00 buck with flight control wad is the way to go if you're looking for tight pattern.  SG ammo has it too but currently out of stock. Lucky Gunner is GTG too. FYI, these are also the softest shooting 00 buck shells!
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I love my M4 but I may have to grab a 1301T as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

hmmm....I just checked the link. It should take you to the Lucky Gunner site for Federal Flightcontrol buckshot rounds.
View Quote
I get the same error as OP.

I have a 1201FP, but I would love to find a used  M4.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. 2 years ago I was gearing up to start 3 gun. I shot a lot of people's tricked out M2 and Mossbergs. I went to Gander Mountain to look at a Versamax because they had some in stock. I asked to see a M2 also and the guy hands me a Beretta 1301 Comp by mistake since they were side by side. The Beretta came to my shoulder quicker and tracked better for me. It came home with me and I've never thought maybe I should have got something else.

The only con I have is its not easy to get a light mounted to it for varmints in the night.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 1:36:53 AM EDT
[#39]
I have both and think OP nailed it, I don't intend to use my M4 with low base ammo so it isn't an issue I worry about. I have an M2 that runs great with low base stuff anyways.

This thread gave me a little more appreciation for my 1301, thanks OP.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Where in the hell was this thread two years ago?!.........j/k  and great thread.
I'm not exactly knowledgable with shotguns and what to buy. I don't have any experience with Benelli. Within the last 1-2 years I was looking for a dependable 3-gun/hd shotgun. I kept reading how the Benelli's are the ones to have and I'm sure they are one of the best.
I now have a 1301 Comp 21" and a 1301 tactical after not knowing what to buy for waayy to long. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I bought the comp. first and then for the price I just couldn't pass up the 1301 tactical.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#41]
great thread. for those shooting flitecontrol 00 from the m4, how is the pattern? i'm reading that the m choke that ships with it is causing issues with flitecontrol performance and you have to swap it for a cylinder choke. is this accurate? assume the 1301 doesn't have these issues because it doesn't have a choke?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Great write up! Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
great thread. for those shooting flitecontrol 00 from the m4, how is the pattern? i'm reading that the m choke that ships with it is causing issues with flitecontrol performance and you have to swap it for a cylinder choke. is this accurate? assume the 1301 doesn't have these issues because it doesn't have a choke?
View Quote
I ran about 300 rounds of high brass through my Benelli M4 so I could shoot Federal Premium 13300 Low Recoil 00 8-shot woth Flightwod control.  I only put a target out at 21' but it shot a quarter sized hole at that distance.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#44]
After discovering the 1301 (but had seen a used tx4 Storm 12ga first) this thread helped me fo on a 21" 1301. Just got tired, or maybe bored, with a pump and wanted a reliable semi-auto for clays, HD, and maybe some future comp events.  Still have my O/U for local tournaments, etc.  Got it for about $1k brand new and couldn't be happier.  Still have to choot it.  All I had on hand were a couple cases of Federal target shells, but the indoor range nearby only allows 00 and slugs.  Already ordered a bolt release shroud, Lancer CF +3 extension with Lancer barrel clamp/2 rails, and a HIVIZ front sight.  Still need to pick-up a case of inexpensive, low recoil, 00 to break her in soon. I tried shouldering and getting on target with a Versamax, 1301T, JM Pro, and even an M4, all in stock.  For me, it was the 1301, hands-down, just based on LOP, ergos, and light weight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I really wish they made a defense version of the V3.  Its so light, it could be a contender.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
After discovering the 1301 (but had seen a used tx4 Storm 12ga first) this thread helped me fo on a 21" 1301. Just got tired, or maybe bored, with a pump and wanted a reliable semi-auto for clays, HD, and maybe some future comp events.  Still have my O/U for local tournaments, etc.  Got it for about $1k brand new and couldn't be happier.  Still have to choot it.  All I had on hand were a couple cases of Federal target shells, but the indoor range nearby only allows 00 and slugs.  Already ordered a bolt release shroud, Lancer CF +3 extension with Lancer barrel clamp/2 rails, and a HIVIZ front sight.  Still need to pick-up a case of inexpensive, low recoil, 00 to break her in soon. I tried shouldering and getting on target with a Versamax, 1301T, JM Pro, and even an M4, all in stock.  For me, it was the 1301, hands-down, just based on LOP, ergos, and light weight.
View Quote
While I don't have experience with the 1301, I would recommend shooting high brass, regular and/or high velocity through the gun to break it in.  That way  it will then cycle the low recoil 00 without an issue.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

While I don't have experience with the 1301, I would recommend shooting high brass, regular and/or high velocity through the gun to break it in.  That way  it will then cycle the low recoil 00 without an issue.

Good luck!
View Quote
You don't need to break a Beretta semi in.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Good luck!
View Quote
No break in needed on the 1301. My Comp has cycled everything from day 1, from cheap Herters and Rio to slugs.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You don't need to break a Beretta semi in.
View Quote
People have weird rituals. I've heard of break in procedures for all sorts of things. If it wont run out of the box its shit.  No room for finicky.

*I'm talking firearms,  not brakes, engines, etc
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have owned 3 Benelli M4 shotguns over the past 12 years.  I have never owned or shot the short barreled version.  My variants had the standard full size pistol grip stock as well as the skeleton collapsible stocks.  I've had ones with the abbreviated mag tube, and ones with the full length mag tube.  I have shot thousands of rounds of slugs, buckshot, birdshot ( real light weight stuff to real heavy turkey loads and steel waterfowl loads as well ).  I have shot the gun with a red dot on top, ghost rings only, and different rifle scopes trying to make slug hits and hundreds of yards (just messing around type of stuff).
I have only owned 1 Beretta 1301, it is completely stock.  I have also shot a wide variety of ammo through it, mine is the tactical so it doesn't have choke tubes like the M4.

Let me simply say, I am not an expert and I don't claim to be one.  This is my opinion based on my experiences, your experiences may lead you to different conclusions.

The Benelli M4 is physically a better built gun, I have simply never held a better built shotgun than a Benelli M4.  With that said the 1301 is a very well built, very well assembled gun and I can't find anyplace that they left anything lose or not centered properly.  The M4 has a lot of metal parts that Beretta chose to sub plastic instead.  For example the rear sight and the rail are both plastic, I'm not saying that's bad but there is a reason there is a aftermarket community because of shortcuts like that.  The M4 new goes anywhere from $1,500-2,000 I believe depending on model, the 1301 I paid 750 out the door brand new.  With the price difference maybe it isn't fair to compare the two guns?  I don't think so because Beretta is clearly going for the American civilian looking for a tactical shotgun and the M4 is THE tactical shotgun.  
My Beretta has never had a malfunction, not one.  My Benellis all had issues feeding low brass birdshot, I don't have an issue with this because the gun is designed to run slugs and buck but it is relevant info for a civilian purchaser.  
The Beretta trigger is a much better trigger in my opinion, I don't know how much this matters for a shotgun being kept in a bedroom but for that kind of coin I would expect a better trigger from Benelli.  
Both guns run a gas system that both companies claim will keep the gun very clean inside and will require very little maintenance.  I have found that to be true of both.

I think the Beretta is easier to reload, my fingers simply don't get caught in the Beretta like they do in the Benelli (they also get caught in my super black eagle 2 when hunting but i'd never give that gun up it's an amazing gun)

I like the recoil impulse of the M4 better, I think it's sharp but brief and you can get a rhythm going with it.  The 1301 doesn't have a pistol grip so I simply can't run it quite as fast, I can pull it in tight but the clock doesn't lie.

The M4 has a massive aftermarket support network, the 1301 has a couple of companies with limited products.  No Comparison at all.

Neither guns have ever shown rust (I do oil and clean each time I shoot though) but Benelli does offer a cerakote option now (My super black eagle 2 cam cerakoated and has stood up amazingly to upstate NY winters being drenched during duck season) I don't know what the Beretta protects their steel with.

I've used both in shoot houses and range scenarios with barricades.  I like having a pistol grip because I will often move and mainly hold the gun by the grip with 1 hand, I can't do that with the 1301.  However the 1301 feels a lot more natural to me when I raise the gun from a low position and I can get it on target faster than the Benelli.  My split times are also better with the Beretta but again that probably doesn't matter much in the real world.

In conclusion, I think that for the vast majority of people looking for a run and gun range gun or a home defense shotgun the 1301 is a great option.  At the price point you can add all the aftermarket stuff you want, buy a case of buckshot, and still be in it for less or substantially less than a M4.  
If you want the tried and true Marine door breaching gun the M4 is it and accept no substitute.  The gun is a true beast and as long as you don't expect perfection with birdshot the thing will run and throw lead long after your shoulder tires.

I'm not saying one is better per say than the other, I am saying they are somewhat different guns with radically different prices and that for many people (myself included) having a M4 isn't necessary.  Of course having 30 pistols and ARs and everything else probably isn't necessary but being that this is America spend your money however you like, I've spent a lot to get to the point of making these comments today and I just wanted to suggest that there are many viable options out there that will solve the same problem.
View Quote
What a well-written articulate review.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top