Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2018 7:12:03 PM EDT
I took out my first Form 1 suppressor the other day and put about 250 rounds through it. Host was a S&W M&P 2.0.

The Good: No baffle strikes, no malfunctions, and it suppresses great.

The Bad: Now it's stuck to the barrel.

I'm not sure what the deal is. I greased all the threads with anti-seize grease beforehand. No other threaded areas are stuck. The end cap moves fine, and the booster assembly adapter was loose enough so I unscrewed the can from the booster. Currently the booster is stuck on the barrel. It unscrews fine for a couple of turns, and then it's like it hits a wall and gets very hard to turn. The booster/piston assembly is from SD Tactical.

Hoping that it was just caked on carbon or something, I soaked the threads inside the booster and out with carbon solvent. No change at all. I am currently soaking it in PB Blaster to see if that helps.

Also, while I was shooting, I wanted to try it on my Beretta 92, and it unscrewed fine. Then when I tried to thread it on the Beretta, it would thread on for a couple of turns, then stop again.

I'm not sure what else to do if the solvent doesn't help it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Kroll and strap wrench to get it off. Or, heat and strap wrench. Had to do this on one of mine before.

Are you sure you have the thread size and pitch right on both barrels and the piston? That can cause sticking. If the barrel muzzle touches a baffle or the bottom of a piston, it can also cause it to get stuck.

Others will probably have other ideas.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kroll and strap wrench to get it off. Or, heat and strap wrench. Had to do this on one of mine before.

Are you sure you have the thread size and pitch right on both barrels and the piston? That can cause sticking. If the barrel muzzle touches a baffle or the bottom of a piston, it can also cause it to get stuck.

Others will probably have other ideas.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure the threads are correct on all. The can threaded on and off smoothly before I shot it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot it. Get it nice and hot and it should come off. Clean all threads before additional use.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Or a propane torch. I've had to soak some cans for 5 days to remove.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Happened to me my first time......

Heated it back up and it loosened enough to get it off. Now I put a tiny bit of anti-seize lubricant on the threads and it hasn't happened since....

Aluminum end cap on a Griffin Brake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top