Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2023 10:50:31 AM EDT
I have a Cannon/Safari brand safe with an S&G dial.  I have never had an issue opening this safe but now the dial feels a little sticky/stiff when turning and wont open.

I tried off setting the combo by one number on either side but nothing.  Does anyone know if a locksmith can get one of these open or am I just going to have to cut it open?

UPDATE:  Found a locksmith that said they would come to me and drill it for $500.  If they are going to destroy it I figure I can do it myself.  Anyone know how or where to attack this thing at?  For that kind of money i might as well take an angle grinder to the door.  $500 is what I paid for the safe.

UPDATE 2:  The combo worked, I got the damn thing open. Now I just need to figure out how to take the panel off the back side of the door so I can access the dial mechanism.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Try tapping the dial occasionally as you work the combination. That can help.

Really only 2 possible problems.

1. Something came loose, which means you prob can’t open it yourself.

2. Something’s sticky, in which case tapping might help move things that should move. If this works you should prob degrease the dial.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a Cannon that did that. Called Cannon and they sent a local guy to fix it on their nickel. No sweat.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#4]
My S&G got “sticky” at one point.  Dealer that came out and fixed it said that sometimes the dial moves out of place a little bit.  He suggested that sometimes a tap or two with a plastic or rubber hammer can get it back into position.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a safe that sometimes is hard to open,the spring that flips open the lock has been replaced and it has been cleaned and lubricated multiple times....still sticky at times.

When ya get it open again take the back panel off you'll see the lock and be able to take the back cover off it,clean it with WD40 then lightly lubricate it,I used graphite on the pivot points which helped. reassymble the lock stuff and while the door is open lock the handle and see if it works more smoothly,

Now to get it open,dial the combo numbers and as you approach zero or at zero past the last number  start jiggling the handle sometimes that'll cause the mechanism to work.You can also rap the front of the safe near the dial with a block of wood and hammer at the 0 then continue,this always works on mine

Good luck
service the lock or get it serviced/replace and all should be good
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I know most people mean well, but the advice offered in these threads should rarely be listened to.

A competent safe tech can open the safe.  Not every company used by manufacturers is competent.  Neither are many locksmiths.

Never "adjust" your safe by tapping on things that aren't designed to be tapped on unless you know exactly what you're doing.   There's no reason to tap a dial into alignment.  If it is out of alignment it was improperly installed, and the proper fix is to disassemble and reassemble properly.

Never lubricate your lock.  Never use WD40 (which isn't even a lubricant), graphite, or other lubricants that the lock manufacturer has not designed the lock to use.  

These examples are good reasons to have your safe serviced occasionally.   Even mechanical locks can fail, and having somebody that knows what they're looking for will often catch some of these issues before they lock you out of your safe.

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A competent safe tech can open the safe.
View Quote

I would like to clarify: ... so that it can still be used in the future.

And as always: If you do any work on your safe, then check the complete locking and unlocking procedure (lock and bolt work) before shutting the door at least three times.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate all the responses, I have tried all the tips and tricks with no success.

Going to call a locksmith tomorrow, found one whose website says they specialize in safes.  Cant even imagine what its going to cost to pay them to drive 40 miles into rural farm country.  $$$$$$$
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I appreciate all the responses, I have tried all the tips and tricks with no success.

Going to call a locksmith tomorrow, found one whose website says they specialize in safes.  Cant even imagine what its going to cost to pay them to drive 40 miles into rural farm country.  $$$$$$$
View Quote

When mine was difficult, I had to hit above the dial as I was approaching each number using a rubber mallet.  Then when I was at the final number I had to slightly move the dial right and left just a little bit and it would unlock.

@USCG_CPO
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Update in OP.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#11]
My lock after almost 20 years started acting up. I replaced it following S&G's tutorial. Lock body on Amazon was around $80.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmLG8tNfWQ
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I ended up replacing my S&G combo lock completely with a digital version.  I had to modify my handle mechanism a little to work with the digital lock - I think I had to remove a spring or something obvious. I remember I removed the contents when I tested it, but it worked and it's been solid since 2012.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top