Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2018 12:04:00 PM EDT
Ive got 2 of the single output holosun ir units. One on my nk18 and the other on my scar 17. For 200 something bucksthey have both held up to about 3000 rounds each, very nice little units for the money.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
How far does the IR illuminator reach in an urban setting?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is the real cheap one, doesnt have an illuminator. I use a surefire m600v on my scar for that. The beam itself is visible in very dark situations and reaches well out to 600. Havent had any noticeable poi shift which is amazing on the scar all  things considered.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow 600 yards on a M600V? I have 2 M622V (same output) and I'm lucky to get 125-150 yards in very dark areas.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow 600 yards on a M600V? I have 2 M622V (same output) and I'm lucky to get 125-150 yards in very dark areas.
View Quote
he meant the laser beam.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Haha ya the laser, not the flashlight
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I am interested how you like it. I think US Nightvision is rebranding these as well. Not sure if that is true or not though. It does look like it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a video out there about South Korean Seals using their new NV gun gear that looks like holosun rds and elite series laser units.

https://youtu.be/N3ju2-NjKc0
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#8]
You can get OTALS for $300 why take a chance?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can get OTALS for $300 why take a chance?
View Quote
Doesn't Steiner utilize Chinese manufacturing as well? Unless you know production hasn't shifted, it doesn't seem like much less of a chance.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Doesn't Steiner utilize Chinese manufacturing as well? Unless you know production hasn't shifted, it doesn't seem like much less of a chance.
View Quote
Unless Steiner is lying on their web site and packaging they state they're manufactured in the U.S.A Now that may not mean all components are 100% american made, but I haven't seen anything so far either way to verify it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I understand the animosity towards chinese made stuff but honestly for the price id rather just get the holosun to use while saving for something better. Only thing is the little holosun is doing great
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Clearly the outout is plenty on an IR pointer. The question is how well it holds up to use over time, retaining zero, and how tight is the dot at range?

I will probably try one in the next couple of weeks. I wish with the new Surefire lights that have been released we could get more powerful M300/600V lights.

Also wonder when China will start producing VCSEL based laser illuminators to come up with MAWL equivalents at less than half the price. You know it has to be in the pipe for Holosun already. When they are released, all the crappy civilian traditional IR lasers run through spreading optics will become forgotten early gen relics overnight.

I'd consider a MAWL C1 in the meantime if I knew what the front side signature was like.  My DBAL I2 is like the red led that lets you know your TV is on, but only if you are in the illuminator beam. The pointer is totally invisible.The ELIR with filter removed is like a Photon Microlight 1 in red and because of the red light bouncing off the internal recesses with the filter off, it is viewable at a much wider angle than the I2 laser illuminator. LED illuminators are an even larger source of red because of the reflector and usually dont have any IR filter to get rid of visible red light and can be seen at a wide angle.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I might snag 1/ea for my MP5 clones.

Easy to mount one of their MDS on top. Then you have Passive aiming, IR Las, IR Illum and(with some versions) white illum all in one.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is the link to the video:
https://youtu.be/N3ju2-NjKc0
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll be posting a more complete review before too long, but I figure I'll chime in here since it's on topic.

I have one of the Holosun LS420G units. The white light hangs with my Klarus XT11 flashlight and is definitely stronger than my Surefire DSF LED foreend.  The green direct drive laser seems to hang right with my other green laser of similar output and has a slightly tighter beam.  The IR laser was easily visible on a 460 yard plate just after daylight faded.  Making hits on 100-200 yard targets was easy enough - I need more practice and perhaps a better zero to reach out much further than that.

The illuminator was the low point, but it is to be expected for a 4 mw max laser based unit.  It made it to 50-75 yards in slightly mixed lighting conditions, and a bit longer in darker conditions, depending on focus.  It sounds like that's also an issue with the DBAL A3 and I2 as well, so consider it par for the course when dealing with FDA restrictions.

So...I think that Holosun is getting things figured out and given the street prices of their devices will likely become a solid contender for those on a budget.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll be posting a more complete review before too long, but I figure I'll chime in here since it's on topic.

I have one of the Holosun LS420G units. The white light hangs with my Klarus XT11 flashlight and is definitely stronger than my Surefire DSF LED foreend.  The green direct drive laser seems to hang right with my other green laser of similar output and has a slightly tighter beam.  The IR laser was easily visible on a 460 yard plate just after daylight faded.  Making hits on 100-200 yard targets was easy enough - I need more practice and perhaps a better zero to reach out much further than that.

The illuminator was the low point, but it is to be expected for a 4 mw max laser based unit.  It made it to 50-75 yards in slightly mixed lighting conditions, and a bit longer in darker conditions, depending on focus.  It sounds like that's also an issue with the DBAL A3 and I2 as well, so consider it par for the course when dealing with FDA restrictions.

So...I think that Holosun is getting things figured out and given the street prices of their devices will likely become a solid contender for those on a budget.
View Quote
@dm1984 May I ask how much you paid, and from where?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:13:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
You may ask.

Unfortunately, I can't provide an answer since it was a gift from a co-worker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top