Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/8/2020 10:35:22 PM EDT
Has UMC MK2 stamp.

Wanna clean knife and sheath up.
Theres a serial number on the back,

It looks like ... knord-6581

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Been a while since you posted....  not sure if you are still looking to clean it up, but the NORD is a Navy ORDnance contract number.

Can you post pics of the knife and scabbard?

If not, message or email me and I can help you with what to or not to do. I have been collecting and cleaning a few of these up over the years.

@ezdaar
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate posting replies from my phone....
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been a while since you posted....  not sure if you are still looking to clean it up, but the NORD is a Navy ORDnance contract number.

Can you post pics of the knife and scabbard?

If not, message or email me and I can help you with what to or not to do. I have been collecting and cleaning a few of these up over the years.

@ezdaar
View Quote

seand1111,

I tried to send this private but the pics wouldn't load.

I was hoping I could tap your expertise and get some advice on the pictured scabbard from my Father’s things we are clearing out.
He was in the Navy in the 1950’s.
There was not a knife with it, so I would rather sell it (or donate if of no value)  to someone that needs a scabbard to match a knife in their collection.
Any recommendations on a price to list it for would be great.
Thank you for your time.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

seand1111,

I tried to send this private but the pics wouldn't load.

I was hoping I could tap your expertise and get some advice on the pictured scabbard from my Father’s things we are clearing out.
He was in the Navy in the 1950’s.
There was not a knife with it, so I would rather sell it (or donate if of no value)  to someone that needs a scabbard to match a knife in their collection.
Any recommendations on a price to list it for would be great.
Thank you for your time.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/132994/IMG_0383_jpg-1738116.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/132994/IMG_0384_jpg-1738118.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/132994/IMG_0382_jpg-1738120.JPG
View Quote

Sent you a message.

A little History;

You have there a NORD 8676 (Navy Ordnance Contract number 8676) Mark 2 Scabbard.  

Contract 8676 was for 142000 scabbards in May 1945 (wars end) for $125,000.

These were the last of the scabbards made and can be said with much confidence that most never saw service in WW2.  However, many probably saw service in Korea or Post WW2 peace time life upon ships.  

Should have had a "Ka-bar" type knife.  I use the term Ka-bar to help others develop an image of the knife.  Its actual name was a Mark 2 or 1219c2 knife.

Your scabbard has been painted, not uncommon, and is missing the knife strap on the hanger.

Pricing is tough.  Its not pristine, but could be made pristine with a little work and a rivet gun (oh and a new strap, i know a guy).  In current condition, $40-65 (depends on how bad the buyer wants it).  Pristine $100+ all day long.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top