Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2020 4:27:38 PM EDT
Just picked this up yesterday at the local gun store.  Picked up that 25 round mag while I was there.   My plans are to get a red dot for it, Magpul stock, bigger charging handle, getting a .22 can or one of those integrally suppressed barrels (if I can find one), etc.   Any other advice, tips, and recommended upgrades are welcomed, as I am just entering into the 10/22 scene with this rifle.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Just bought this at another local gun store.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool, congrats!  I like those.

I got my first one a few years ago.  I won it in a giveaway by Ruger.  Mines the basic stainless takedown without the the threaded barrel or new style stock.  The trigger on mine was really, really bad for some reason so I sent it to Brimstone.  They turned it into a great trigger for way less than a new one would cost.

The only thing I really don't care for is the stock.  It's not bad by any means but because I have a scope mounted it's a pain getting a good cheek weld.  If love to have one of those newer style stocks like yours came with for the adjustable cheek height.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Tandemkross makes some clear rotary mag bodies and combo 2 and 3 mag joiners.   I prefer running the 10 rds X2 or X3 but your mileage may vary.    

Volquartsen makes a nice bolt release.  

Some form of extended magazine release is nice.  (underlever as this one already has one)

Other than that, just shoot it and see what you might need.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the links and tips.   Trigger upgrade does sound good as I am kind of a trigger snob.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Volquartsen makes a nice bolt release.  
View Quote

Having recently tried a couple Volquartsen auto bolt releases, I prefer Kidd auto bolt releases.  The Volquartsen would not reliable lock the bolt when engaged and I would have to hit it just right for it to work.  I had 2 releases that I used in 2 different BX25 trigger packs and both failed to work relaibly.  Using a Kidd auto release on 2 BX25 triggers, Kidd trigger pack, and a factory trigger pack, it is a straight forward press and it locks on the first try, every time.

You could consider replacing the bolt components to have a hardened firing pin and replacement extractor.

If you aren't ready for a full trigger pack replacement, Kidd makes a decent retrofit trigger kit.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Do the bolt release mod yourself, it’s easy. You can find out how on rimfire central dot com. Get your bolt done at CPC for around $50 & get the Kidd trigger job kit ($105). Get a Tactical Solutions or Kidd extractor. By the time you do all that you’ll have figured out what else to do.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the links and tips.   Trigger upgrade does sound good as I am kind of a trigger snob.
View Quote

Can usually find the Ruger BX trigger for $70 or less. I think the last one I bought “used” was around $50 on the EE. Nice price point to upgrade the trigger and not spend half of what the entire rifle costs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Great advice guys!  Going to look into all that stuff.

Mounted the "weaver" rail that came with it and couldn't mount my red dot with qd mount on it.   Had to order a picatinny rail from Amazon, so that will be here today.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Finally got all parts and everything together.  Started out with a Vortex red dot, and I could tell the rifle was just begging for more scope.  So I bought a Leupold 1.5-4.  

Got out to the range today and once I got the scope dialed in, I'd change mags and it would go 3" to the right.  Change mags again, goes 3-4" up....swap mags, and 3" left, and so on....   It was all over the place after changing mags and bag position.   This was at 25 yards, indoors, shooting CCI mini mags (non hollow points).   I'm sure most of it is me, as it has been a while since I've shot from the bench, but at the same time, is it just the nature of 22?   Maybe try different ammo?  Or are takedowns really that inconsistent?  

As it sits now...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top