Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2021 8:50:18 PM EDT
Just bought the PVS-27 from a member on another forum and it's in pristine, like new condition.  It came in it's factory padded soft case,  ARD, Larue QD mount tool, light diffuser wrap, quick reference laminated pamphlets and the owner's manual. Everything is immaculate.

I cant waits to fire her up after dark, tonight. I also have a nice IR Laser/Illuminator coming tomorrow. The device will sit on the Raptar mount shown in the photos.  I'll post a few more photos of the complete set-up, this weekend.

The USO B25 will be replaced with a shorter optic, which will place the 27's Lens further away from the muzzle. I won't fire the rifle with the 27 until the shorter scope is mounted.

If you have any experience, good or bad, with a 27 , I welcome your commentary.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my PVS-27s, unbelievable image when used with a huge variety of day optics.  It also as a little known secondary function as a bludgeoning tool.  I was just banging steel w/ one last week (with bullets, not the bludgeoning feature).
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The PVS27 is the king of clipon NV. I have used mine up to 12x, and the image is awesome. Even better with a peq15 or a DBAL D2. I have tested with three different rifles and can't measure any POI shift with it installed either. You are gonna love it! You should let us know how your unit performs at 15x and 20x too. I have to live through you until I buy a bigger scope
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love my PVS-27s, unbelievable image when used with a huge variety of day optics.  It also as a little known secondary function as a bludgeoning tool.  I was just banging steel w/ one last week (with bullets, not the bludgeoning feature).
View Quote

No kidding. The thing is built like a tank.  I’m canceling my gym membership in the morning. I almost popped a hernia carrying it to the back yard for the photo shoot.

I turned it on earlier outside and darkness became daylight, with a green hue.  Barely turned up the Gain . I freakin love this thing!
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The PVS27 is the king of clipon NV. I have used mine up to 12x, and the image is awesome. Even better with a peq15 or a DBAL D2. I have tested with three different rifles and can't measure any POI shift with it installed either. You are gonna love it! You should let us know how your unit performs at 15x and 20x too. I have to live through you until I buy a bigger scope
View Quote

Copy that. It’s phenomenal. I only had the scope at 5x. The Raptar ES lite should deliver tomorrow. It’s kinda big but it’ll saddle nicely on the mount. Something tells me I’ll be replacing it soon with a Dbal A3. This shit is starting to get expensive. ..
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Copy that. It’s phenomenal. I only had the scope at 5x. The Raptar ES should deliver tomorrow. It’s kinda big but it’ll saddle nicely on the mount. Something tells me I’ll be replacing it soon with a Dbal A3. This shit is starting to get expensive. ..
View Quote

Something that I find to be more fun than you might think is to get the rangefinder set up and zeroed (I use a SWR Radius), then practice ranging safe mock targets over a field and dry firing on them.  With the likes of a 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun, this is a pretty horrifying exercise since one starts to realize everything that is easily within range and quickly able to be hit...  in the dark.  600+ yards is a decent distance in the daylight, after the sun sets it seems SO MUCH FURTHER.  It is hard to describe the phenomenon of night distances seeming to be exaggerated, but I'm not the only one that has experienced this sensation.  Also, illuminators are nice, and I have several of them, but you will likely find that the 27 drastically reduces your reliance on them when compared to other CNVDs.  Also, pick up a thermal handheld if you are looking for warm-blooded creatures.  

ETA:  And get a silencer (or ten of them) if you don't already have one, thank me later  Welcome to the Dark Side, you bet your ass it is expensive but there is no going back to not having that super power.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Something that I find to be more fun than you might think is to get the rangefinder set up and zeroed (I use a SWR Radius), then practice ranging safe mock targets over a field and dry firing on them.  With the likes of a 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun, this is a pretty horrifying exercise since one starts to realize everything that is easily within range and quickly able to be hit...  in the dark.  600+ yards is a decent distance in the daylight, after the sun sets it seems SO MUCH FURTHER.  It is hard to describe the phenomenon of night distances seeming to be exaggerated, but I'm not the only one that has experienced this sensation.  Also, illuminators are nice, and I have several of them, but you will likely find that the 27 drastically reduces your reliance on them when compared to other CNVDs.  Also, pick up a thermal handheld if you are looking for warm-blooded creatures.  
View Quote

Great advice Bro. I appreciate it. The 27 and IR unit will probably provide whore duty as I have a few evil black rifles that I would really enjoy running night drills with. Thermal is dope AF, but I have my heart set on getting a pvs14 set-up, first. Geez, there’s gotta be a place near me where I can go sell sum plasma.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I can see the illuminator, but what does a laser do on a clipon, you already have a point of aim?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:26:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I would not recommend getting the DBAL-A3 for that sweet rig.  I’m strictly talking
about the civi version only. It doesn’t have the horsepower for past 100 yards in my experience.
Find a full power IR Laser/Illuminator.  I’ve even added a Surefire Scout with the IR illumination to
my gun that I’m just running an Aimpoint T2 on and it helps but neither will do very much
past 100 yards.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#9]
You SOB!
That looks great and you will not be disappointed in the performance.
While I have access to 27s, I chose a PVS-22 for my personal unit which mostly sees use on AR platforms.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You SOB!
That looks great and you will not be disappointed in the performance.
While I have access to 27s, I chose a PVS-22 for my personal unit which mostly sees use on AR platforms.

https://i.imgur.com/PkHzbQx.jpg

View Quote

Dear baby Jesus and mother of Nazareth! Now That’s how it’s done!
If you were a lady I’d marry you. Fahkit, let’s go shopping for furniture.

Very nice rig indeed. Seriously.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can see the illuminator, but what does a laser do on a clipon, you already have a point of aim?
View Quote

IR laser/NODs is the Cat's Meow.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would not recommend getting the DBAL-A3 for that sweet rig.  I’m strictly talking
about the civi version only. It doesn’t have the horsepower for past 100 yards in my experience.
Find a full power IR Laser/Illuminator.  I’ve even added a Surefire Scout with the IR illumination to
my gun that I’m just running an Aimpoint T2 on and it helps but neither will do very much
past 100 yards.  YMMV
View Quote

Is the A3 really that weak?  Sadly, I don't have access to a place that reaches beyond 800 yards.  Nice flat terrain, though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#13]
This guy is just beginning his NV experience and this thread is already kicking ass. Nice AI rifle. You'll be happier once you get rid of that B25. Shooting PRS, we see lots of US optics loosing zero. Find a Kahles or Tangent Theta since you're already diving deep into the water.

Keep up the great photos!
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This guy is just beginning his NV experience and this thread is already kicking ass. Nice AI rifle. You'll be happier once you get rid of that B25. Shooting PRS, we see lots of US optics loosing zero. Find a Kahles or Tangent Theta since you're already diving deep into the water.

Keep up the great photos!
View Quote

Thanks for the kind words.  Just hoping it's not one of those "fools rush in" scenarios. I've had my share of those.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones (so far) as my B25 has consistently maintained zero.  The H59 ret floats my skirt, bigly. I've always liked Kahles, although not too crazy bout their rets. At the moment I'm kinda eyeballing a ZCO, but they're very proud of their glass.

The TT is just on another level.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for the kind words.  Just hoping it's not one of those "fools rush in" scenarios. I've had my share of those.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones (so far) as my B25 has consistently maintained zero.  The H59 ret floats my skirt, bigly. I've always liked Kahles, although not too crazy bout their rets. At the moment I'm kinda eyeballing a ZCO, but they're very proud of their glass.

The TT is just on another level.
View Quote

I'm by no means a day optic snob, not by a long shot.  That said, good holdover reticles like the H59 or EBR-2/7 etc make unknown distance long range night shooting much easier than it otherwise would be.  Zero your rail-mounted rangefinder parallel to the center so you always have the same laser aiming reference, then hold elevation and wind.  I'm not opposed to dialing elevation, but one has to keep in mind that you are also moving the rangefinder's reference point within the reticle when doing so.  Simpler is better, especially in the dark.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

...That said, good holdover reticles like the H59 or EBR-2/7 etc make unknown distance long range night shooting much easier than it otherwise would be.
View Quote

I concur. I luvs me sum H59.

Here are two pics that I took through my B25/PVS27 in complete darkness. I set up the rifle in my garage aiming out to the back fence which is just shy of 25 yards. I placed two boxes of 308 ammo side-by-side on the fence bracing. The 27's gain knob was turned to a low setting, about a 3 if we use a 1 to 10 scale. The first pic was take at 5X the other at 12X. I couldn't get a clean focus on the two boxes of 308 ammo because of the short distance, but I the pics came out ok.  

The pics were captured using my cell (IPhone 6?) phone and it was a real pain in the arse trying to get a centered eye box picture.

Pic1 taken at 5X.

Pic2 taken at 12X
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#17]
LOS, here is the more "normal" employment of my PVS-22.

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LOS, here is the more "normal" employment of my PVS-22.

https://i.imgur.com/7VOV9Yv.jpg
View Quote

Wow. Way too cool!  That’s gotta be a pleasure to shoot.

BTW, what Illuminator is mounted on your AI ?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wow. Way too cool!  That’s gotta be a pleasure to shoot.

BTW, what Illuminator is mounted on your AI ?
View Quote

It is a AN/PEQ-2 which works pretty good.
This one came from a Police Department sale upgrading its hardware.
No warranty, but a great unit if you can get one that isn't missing government property.

For your rig, I would look at a Perst illuminator, don't really need a pointer.
It's what I am planning for my AICS .308.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It is a AN/PEQ-2 which works pretty good.
This one came from a Police Department sale upgrading its hardware.
No warranty, but a great unit if you can get one that isn't missing government property.

For your rig, I would look at a Perst illuminator, don't really need a pointer.
It's what I am planning for my AICS .308.
View Quote

My Raptar ES Lite came in today. The thing is basically a compact computer, and I’m not good with computers. I’ll test it tonight and make a decision on whether it’s a keeper, or not. The Perst, is that the Russian made illuminator? I’ll go look it up. ..
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I use a Luna with surefire adapter from JRH for supplemental illumination with my PVS-27. Mount on the Luna leaves a lot to be desired, but it is cost effective and bright. I also had my civilian A3 with me the other day checking zeros at 200yds and could barely tell when its illuminator was on through the 27 at 200 on a moonless night. The A3 is good to 100yrds in low light and 50yds mixed. Urban sometimes as little as 25ish. I like it and my I2 for SBRs, but would not use it with a clip on.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I use a Luna with surefire adapter from JRH for supplemental illumination with my PVS-27. Mount on the Luna leaves a lot to be desired, but it is cost effective and bright. I also had my civilian A3 with me the other day checking zeros at 200yds and could barely tell when its illuminator was on through the 27 at 200 on a moonless night. The A3 is good to 100yrds in low light and 50yds mixed. Urban sometimes as little as 25ish. I like it and my I2 for SBRs, but would not use it with a clip on.
View Quote

I've seen a lot of good reviews on the Luna and it's pretty inexpensive compared to most illuminators. I'm going to fire up the Raptar tonight just to "see" if it's something I'm going to keep. It sucks that I have a small back yard but at least it'll give me an idea of it's capabilities.

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#23]
DBAL-D2/SPIR and Luna ELIR-3 (with the filter removed) are good “civilian” options for clip-on use, although the Luna leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to the mount and construction.  PERST would likely work pretty well (it’s a FP unit, so not a shock).  MAWL-C1+ is ok, although there’s no Illuminator only function.  Everything else on the civilian market will be next to useless beyond 75-100 yards.

FP is really the way to go with a clip-on, IMO.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've seen a lot of good reviews on the Luna and it's pretty inexpensive compared to most illuminators. I'm going to fire up the Raptar tonight just to "see" if it's something I'm going to keep. It sucks that I have a small back yard but at least it'll give me an idea of it's capabilities.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve played around with an ES Lite.  It’s even more anemic than the DBAL-A3s/ATPIAL-Cs I’ve owned/used.  It’s not a good fit at all for illumination with a clip-on.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#25]
The Raptar was delivered today so I mounted it and took a few photos. This thing comes with 2 owner's manuals, a mini CD and a booklet. It can be reconfigured and adjusted a million ways. The digital mode display on the back panel can be adjusted for brightness, as well. Here's the current setup as it sits today [subject to change. :)] ..

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I’ve played around with an ES Lite.  It’s even more anemic than the DBAL-A3s/ATPIAL-Cs I’ve owned/used.  It’s not a good fit at all for illumination with a clip-on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reviews are definitely mixed on the ES Lite. But I Gots to Know..!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Here is mine.... I bang away at steel at 300 in the dead dark night with it..

and the obligitory crappy cell phone pic.

and really working on stuff one night..

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#28]
@Falconpilot1

I dig it. Love your style. The fity floats my skirt!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I love mine... Yea its a big and heavy but worth the effort.    It holds same POI after taking it on and off..   Mine shoots a Up 0.3 mils and right 0.1 consistantly to rezero with it on... easy math and works the same across all platforms.  You will have to shoot and determine your own corrections if you want to really get back to zero...  For human size targets, i dont make adjustments....

That video is a 300 yard shot in the dark of dark....  with no additional illumination or ir laser.   I was actually shooting around deer that night as they kept walking around the range.    Very tempting.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I scored a good deal on a brown Raptar so the black one is for sale in the EE.

Link Posted: 7/6/2021 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I mounted the SH4 6-24 MIL on the Spuhr ISMS mount and quickly found out that the Arken will not clear the mount's base enough to obtain a vertical [Ret] position.   The Arken has an internal spring cover(?) that protrudes from the base a little too much and it contacts the mount's base which prevents the scope from being turned/adjusted to vertical.

I have a  Spuhr #4006 which has an elevation of 1.338". I' think I need 1.5" ring height in order for the scope to clear the mount's base. I suppose the height issue could also be solved by just replacing the Spuhr ISMS mount with traditional rings.

Regardless, if any of you folks plan to mount your Arken on a Spuhr ISMS mount, be sure you have a model with at least 1.5" ring height.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top