Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2018 5:54:26 PM EDT
1981 build with an original period correct Armson OEG sight made in South Africa. The folder is an R&R Enterprises.

fullsizeoutput_10cc by Austin Scott, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
thats pretty sweet... I love the mini.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You're ready for the A Team reboot.

Mine spends most of its time in the safe these days.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This one will too. It was cheap, and I just thought it was cool.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its cool, but they aint cheap anymore.  Those sights are still made too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're missing out on some fun shooting with it.  Even the early 'pencil barreled' versions can shoot some decent groups with a little love and a few simple and inexpensive additions to aide cooling ($14 Choate HG), reduce the excessive cycling forces ($25 gas bushing set), and reduce barrel whip ($100 Accu-Strut).  Yes, I've got a couple of ARs, one scoped version I use to shoot apples at 400+yds, however, they are the ones that stay in the safe since I got my 583 Series Mini-14 3 yrs ago this month.  It is by far my most favorite 5.56 platform as it's compact size and convenient controls make it a joy to use; much like my M1 Carbines.

While I've gone with a Mini M14 look to complement my M1A rather than an A-Team approach, it still retains it's great appeal to all who give it a try; much more so than any AR.  And, as Ruger updated it in the mid 2000s starting with the 58X Series with a different ejector and thicker barrel to increase the accuracy, it's now accurate enough to be my irons only 200yd bowling pin plinker.  In fact, with the accurizing tweaks I've done on mine that cost about what a decent AR trigger costs (a necessary upgrade to get any accuracy out of an AR too), my Mini is a very near 1 MOA shooter with my handloads and a real joy to take to the range or out to the field.  Anything within 300yds is fair game with it.

Link Posted: 5/23/2018 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Good looking rifle! If it was me, I’d leave the current flash hider and buy a Arms Room Front Sight Gas Block Top Strap which would still leave it period correct (Ruger use to do one for the AC-556 back in the day). Not only would it give you functional open sights. Would look even cooler!
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 12:32:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Ruger AC-556?

As for reduced sight radius.Yep, it’s reduced. And I notice no difference.

Quoted:

No offense to above poster, but the AC-556 front sight was configured differently, so the proposed item would not be period-correct.

Appearance aside (knowing that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"), the item mentioned above has an unguarded front sight blade, which is therefore subject to movement and even damage.  Recall the primary reason for the M1903 springfield rifle to be returned to field armorers for repair was damage to its' unguarded front sight; This from Roy Dunlap in "Ordnance goes Up Front".

Another problem is that installing such a sight in that position needlessly shortens the sight radius, something well known to be detrimental to accuracy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ruger AC-556?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Firearms-1/i-8vWX4h5/0/33d9ec98/M/2018053019551321-IMG_2533-M.jpg

As for reduced sight radius.Yep, it’s reduced. And I notice no difference.
View Quote
I can't wait til my Form 1 on my Ruger Mini-14 SBR comes back!  Mine should look like the above pic, although I am going to thread in 1/2x28 instead of Ruger original 9/16 thread - in case I want to use other common 5.56 muzzle accys .  I like the AC556K look
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Would anyone consider buying a "Pistol" version of the mini (AC556K - pistol Grip only) only with a AR style Tube thread block on the back (for braces)???

Seems like a way for Ruger to get more mileage out of the Mini-14 line.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the great ideas for the front sight. I need to buy one of them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I can dig it!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top