Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2018 9:44:48 AM EDT
My dad just gave me an old Winchester 94 44mag Trapper.  Where do I send it to get it threaded?
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My dad just gave me an old Winchester 94 44mag Trapper.  Where do I send it to get it threaded?
View Quote
Threaded? That would be an abomination...

I think I remember someone. See if I can find the contact information.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Why in hell would you.................?
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Send it to Morgan at Class 3 Machining. @eastTXhunter
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure it feeds reliably before spending any money.  The 94 mostly doesn't like pistol cartridges.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#5]
First, you need to determine it's current value.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1  these have gone way up in value, I wouldn’t tread an original in decent shape.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
First, you need to determine it's current value.
+1  these have gone way up in value, I wouldn’t tread an original in decent shape.
An 'I have this old gun' article snip taken from a 2016 American Rifleman:

"...Original trappers with barrels less than 16" must be declared a Curio & Relic by the Firearms Technology Branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). However, ATF authentication is not required for the Model 94 trapper shown here, which has a 16" “Special Carbine Barrel” described by the late George Madis in his classic, The Winchester Book. Unfortunately, the magazine tube has been replaced, the wood has been lightly sanded and the front sight is bent. Additionally, the receiver and rear barrel band have been polished, probably to remove flaked bluing on the nickel steel, although traces of original bluing remain and the bore is sharp. Were it not for the magazine tube and receiver issues, it could have fetched $6,000 to $8,000. Even so, this trapper would easily bring $2,850 to $3,500 at a gun show. "
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess I should not have put "old" in the thread title.  This is a crossbolt safety gun that is probably 25 to 30 years old.  It has some light surface rust as it has lived in a case behind a bench seat in a farm truck most of its life.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I focused on "old" and in so doing completely missed the ".44mag" part.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Morgan at Class 3 has done several lever guns for me though none were Winchesters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top