Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 10/31/2017 10:16:10 PM EDT
Damn, in Elmax steel. Goes from the thumb jimping down through the stud and farther towards the blade edge.

Kershaw does the customer service for them, correct?

And since it's out of production, what do they replace it with?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks. I would contact ZT directly from their website. Got any pics?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I can try to get an iPotato pic later.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You’re probably the second guy here that’s had that happen with an Elmax ZT in the last year. ZT replaced his. Sounds like stress riser failure. Alot of  the superhard boutique steels that are formulated for wear resistance suffer from this. My belief is that they can’t handle the shock of assisted opening like lower rockwell non particle metallurgy steels and any sharp cuts like jimping create stress risers that can cause failure.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree that it's a stress crack. But since the jimping is semi-circular, I would think that it shouldn't give any stress risers the chance to arise. I supppse that it's likely not perfectly round on the microscopic level.

I think that there may also be some abnormal shock placed on the blade, and here's my theory: in the newer versions, they have a replaceable 'wear plate' or whatever made out of Elmax on the locking surface because on the earlier versions, the frame lock was wearing away. I think that the extra slop can contribute to early failure.

I called today, they said that they'd replace the blade.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You’re probably the second guy here that’s had that happen with an Elmax ZT in the last year. ZT replaced his. Sounds like stress riser failure. Alot of  the superhard boutique steels that are formulated for wear resistance suffer from this. My belief is that they can’t handle the shock of assisted opening like lower rockwell non particle metallurgy steels and any sharp cuts like jimping create stress risers that can cause failure.
View Quote
Yeah, it happened to me too.  Kershaw replaced it no questions asked.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, Kershaw gave me a voucher for $325 for the knife.  I picked up a set of throwing knives (why not?) and a 0452CF.  Pretty cool that they let me get more than one item, to spend it all.  Not just a replacement knife, but replacement value.  They arrived today.

Honestly, I'm not thrilled with the 0452.  It's a great knife, but I think that they phoned in the grinding that day.  The sides of the blade feel smooth to the touch, but a fingernail will make noise on it, and you can feel it dragging through the grinding marks.  It's almost like they missed the final grit belt or grinder, or whatever.  Should I send it back, or is that fairly normal?

I also miss the aggressive G10, thumb stud, and handle jimping that the 0560 had.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Jag

My 0566 Elmax is not the most impressive ZT I own.  ( still edc this lil bitch )

The 0452TIBLU recent purchase is phenomenal in every way.

Sounds to me that Kershaw took care of you.

However, the nature of the beast is we want to expect a collaboration from these knife smiths to be perfect without having to spend the $400 Plus.

I know, go be poor elsewhere
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Kershaw KAI will take care of you.

Sucks it happens though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't get me wrong, their warranty was everything I wanted it to be and more. Just a little disappointed in the 0452. I like the large combat/utility folders, and this feels more like a large gentlemen's knife.

Still, the smoothness or lack thereof on the blade doesn't seem like ZT's normal quality.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:50:44 AM EDT
[#10]
My 561 failed in the same place.  I ended up with a 562cf.  It’s a nice knife but it doesn’t feel quite as stout.  I would rather have had a 301.  Kershaw did take care of it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My 561 failed in the same place.  I ended up with a 562cf.  It's a nice knife but it doesn't feel quite as stout.  I would rather have had a 301.  Kershaw did take care of it.
View Quote
I'd kill right now to find one of the 0560s with the lock insert and made with S35V, which I think would take care of all of the issues.  I think that the last generation had both of those features.  The 0452 is a nice knife, but it doesn't feel as substantial in my hand as the 0560.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I had thought that the issue was too tight a hole where the frame lock/stop pin was.

A 301 is still what I desire.  If they brought it back they could sell a bunch.  Bead blasted blade and tan handle
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't like any of the super hard stainless steels for this reason. I used to use knives daily and fairly hard at my old job. Chipped blades and stress fractures are not worth it compared to sharpening every few days instead of once a week.

And don't get me started on how awful of an idea internal stop pins are with super stainless blades.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting.

I'm looking for a 0770CF and noticed the old ones are Elmax and the new ones are S35VN. I've been focusing on trying to find the Elmax version cause I thought it was better.

Maybe it doesn't really matter and the S35VN model would be fine?
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't like any of the super hard stainless steels for this reason. I used to use knives daily and fairly hard at my old job. Chipped blades and stress fractures are not worth it compared to sharpening every few days instead of once a week.

And don't get me started on how awful of an idea internal stop pins are with super stainless blades.
View Quote
The rear of the blade should have been locking at the same time as the thumb stud.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 3:48:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well, Kershaw gave me a voucher for $325 for the knife.  I picked up a set of throwing knives (why not?) and a 0452CF.  Pretty cool that they let me get more than one item, to spend it all.  Not just a replacement knife, but replacement value.  They arrived today.

Honestly, I'm not thrilled with the 0452.  It's a great knife, but I think that they phoned in the grinding that day.  The sides of the blade feel smooth to the touch, but a fingernail will make noise on it, and you can feel it dragging through the grinding marks.  It's almost like they missed the final grit belt or grinder, or whatever.  Should I send it back, or is that fairly normal?

I also miss the aggressive G10, thumb stud, and handle jimping that the 0560 had.
View Quote
I really wish they had given me that option.  I'd love an 804CF.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 4:41:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The rear of the blade should have been locking at the same time as the thumb stud.
View Quote
Sorry, I threw in a rant about internal stop pins and didn't explain why I don't like thumb stud stop pins either.

A traditional external stop pin has it's contact (and stress point) at the tang flat of the blade, and is much stronger than the Kershaw/Strider, or internal stop pin method. Add to that a traditional stop pin is also captured and usually thicker. I'm of the opinion the blade strength should never be compromised, and both external and thumb stud stop pins require it. While typical thumb studs do require a hole in the blade, they don't place the work load stress on it.

This goes double when super hard blade steels are used. Will it be a common problem? No, but it has happened repeatedly. I've heard of a few broken ZT's like yours, and more broken internal stop pin Spydercos than I can even think to count.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top