Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 7:49:21 PM EDT
Pulled her out of the safe today and worked the action. The smell of  home made gunny paste of turpentine, refined linseed oil & beeswax is all over my hands. Last coat was Thanksgiving Black Fri.

Smells wonderful.

No clue why I just can't upload one straight from my phone.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/191839777@N07/50856972306/in/dateposted/https://www.flickr.com/photos/191839777@N07/50857064992/in/dateposted/
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I seriously clicked this thread thinking I’d see a beautiful picture of said Loaded M1A.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I seriously clicked this thread thinking I’d see a beautiful picture of said Loaded M1A.
View Quote

succered me too so i will post mineAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Here’s a pic of me shooting mine at 500 yds.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a coarse rag and some turpentine and rub the wood down and remove what you have put on.  Dry.  Mix 1/2 pint boiled linseed oil, 1/2 pint turpentine and 1/4 cup of high gloss oil base spar varnish (do not use latex or water based varnish).  Pour a little of the mixture into a shallow pan or saucer; and with a 1/4 sheet of 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper, dip into the finish mixture and rub on the stock with the grain until the paper begins to drag and the surface feels tacky.  Take a dry, lint free cloth (denim works for me) and rub the stock vigorously until it feels dry.  Set aside for a couple days to cure then repeat the process.  You will have a deep sheen low luster finish after 4 or 5 repetitions.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a coarse rag and some turpentine and rub the wood down and remove what you have put on.  Dry.  Mix 1/2 pint boiled linseed oil, 1/2 pint turpentine and 1/4 cup of high gloss oil base spar varnish (do not use latex or water based varnish).  Pour a little of the mixture into a shallow pan or saucer; and with a 1/4 sheet of 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper, dip into the finish mixture and rub on the stock with the grain until the paper begins to drag and the surface feels tacky.  Take a dry, lint free cloth (denim works for me) and rub the stock vigorously until it feels dry.  Set aside for a couple days to cure then repeat the process.  You will have a deep sheen low luster finish after 4 or 5 repetitions.
View Quote
picture of final product? thinking about redoing an old 8mm of mine ,a 1916 JP Sauer& Sons K98 in a old sporter  stock , not a sporterized military stock ,but a commercial stock
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:02:51 AM EDT
[#7]
All these descriptions but only a few delivering with pics.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
My OP wasn't worded right. My mix is dry but I can still smell it.

I stripped the finish off a 10-22 and used the same mix on it. Love smelling them both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top