Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2023 11:19:57 AM EDT
He was a wonderful person and someone I would consider a friend.  

I dont really know how to word this right now so im just going to say it.
What is going to happen with the NFA items I have at his shop.  

going to miss going to the shop and BS'ing with you buddy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
He was a wonderful person and someone I would consider a friend.  

I dont really know how to word this right now so im just going to say it.
What is going to happen with the NFA items I have at his shop.  

going to miss going to the shop and BS'ing with you buddy.
View Quote

If they're no longer dealing in NFA, the ATF will expedite all of the transfers that FFL had currently waiting.

There are a few SOTs here that'll probably better answer.

Also, condolences on the loss of your friend.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If they're no longer dealing in NFA, the ATF will expedite all of the transfers that FFL had currently waiting.

There are a few SOTs here that'll probably better answer.

Also, condolences on the loss of your friend.
View Quote

He was the owner and the license was in his name. I do believe his brother is co-owner, but im not sure if he is on the license.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Not a lawyer, but I had a similar experience.  Dealer stopped being an FFL due to family health issues.  Dealer had received my suppressor after their FFL expired so they couldn't transfer it.  I called my local BATFE office and they confirmed possession of the NFA item by the expired FFL (via warrant) and then they expedited a paper Form 4, which I had to completely fill out, since no one else knew how, as though it was an in-state person-to-person sale. I paid the $200 stamp with the form 4 and within a month I had the local sheriff offices' ATF division contact me to pick up the firearm that they held in evidence. The bonus for the wait was I didn't have to pay the transfer fee :).  No one got in trouble and the problem was solved rather quickly as everyone cooperated with authorities. Fun fact, the deputy gave me the suppressor and I was like, where is the paperwork (i.e. the Form 4).  He forgot it and said Let me go get it (different location 10 mins away). I said here, take this back. He said, no, I'll be right back.  I had to explain that I would be in violation of NFA laws if I was in possession of an NFA firearm and didn't have the paperwork. He admitted he didn't understand all the laws - even joked about how technical they were....and he was an ATF agent.  Just shows how complicated the laws are and how little people know about the NFA.

In your case, the co-signer may have to sign the form.  Regardless, call your local ATF field office immediately and set up an appointment to discuss.  As much as we complain about them, they really do help.  Ironically, they knew nothing of the NFA process, so I had to fill out the form and put one of those "Sign here" stickies so the agent could have the right person sign.

The first thing I did, though, was I called the FFL that sent the item to the dealer and asked for the Form-3.  They gladly sent me a copy.  That shows you own the NFA item, but just can't possess it yet.  Everyone's case is different, but I would start at your local field office. If your FFL was the selling FFL, I would recommend having the receipt which should have the Serial and model on it.

Good luck. And sorry for the loss of your friend.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not a lawyer, but I had a similar experience.  Dealer stopped being an FFL due to family health issues.  Dealer had received my suppressor after their FFL expired so they couldn't transfer it.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Not a lawyer, but I had a similar experience.  Dealer stopped being an FFL due to family health issues.  Dealer had received my suppressor after their FFL expired so they couldn't transfer it.  

What nitwit shipped a silencer to a dealer with an expired FFL?

I called my local BATFE office and they confirmed possession of the NFA item by the expired FFL (via warrant)

They didn't need a warrant, they could look at the Form 3 they just approved to a dealer with an expired FFL. That would be an interesting conversation.

I had to explain that I would be in violation of NFA laws if I was in possession of an NFA firearm and didn't have the paperwork.

Myth.

The first thing I did, though, was I called the FFL that sent the item to the dealer and asked for the Form-3.  They gladly sent me a copy.  That shows you own the NFA item, but just can't possess it yet.  

How does it show that you own the NFA item? A Form 3 doesn't have any of the buyers information.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The FFL was valid when it was shipped and received; obviously.

Quoted:They didn't need a warrant, they could look at the Form 3 they just approved to a dealer with an expired FFL. That would be an interesting conversation.

The dealer closed up shop and moved all inventory to their residence near by, and the termination of the FFL was sudden.  The FFL contacted the ATF to let them know they were terminating their business immediately, surrendered records, etc. The transferring individual was no longer an FFL, so they had to get the local Sherriff to be involved. The individual was also out of state, but the inventory was still at their local residence. Hence the need for the warrant.

Quoted:I had to explain that I would be in violation of NFA laws if I was in possession of an NFA firearm and didn't have the paperwork.

Quoted:Myth.

Only a myth if I have the paperwork somewhere and can provide it in a timely manner.  I had never seen the approved paperwork with my own eyes.  Call it a myth, but I don't.  Better to be safe than sorry.

The first thing I did, though, was I called the FFL that sent the item to the dealer and asked for the Form-3.  They gladly sent me a copy.  That shows you own the NFA item, but just can't possess it yet.  

Quoted:How does it show that you own the NFA item? A Form 3 doesn't have any of the buyers information.  

It does when the F-3 serial/model, etc.  matches the receipt showing my name and serial, model, etc.  I also obtained the delivery confirmation and signature, too, that it was delivered to the FFL in question and on the F-3. This information trail aided the ATF by showing the original receipt, the F-3 to the dealer and the receipt of the suppressor by that dealer. I don't know where surrendered books get sent to, but that would have been a nightmare to wait and let the government try to run down that firearm. The moral of my story was to give as much information as possible to help them help you.

BTW, how does your response help the op at all?  This isn't GD.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: BTW, how does your response help the op at all?  This isn't GD.
View Quote

It may not help the OP (or it may) but as this isn't a private message between the OP and someone else, there are probably quite a few people reading it.
If there is incorrect information being stated in this thread, others might consider it "gospel" and rely on it. And I for one, am grateful that DogtownTom has questioned or corrected some misinformation.
He shares a wealth of valuable technical information on all things NFA related and has been around here awhile, so when he says something, those among us who are wise, pay attention.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#7]
My neighbor and FFL passed away a couple years ago. He was a pilot for the Navy in Vietnam and Korea. Flew fighters. Awesome guy. Before he passed, he knew his time was coming, he gave me several rifles and pistols so they would be appreciated. He knew they would be trouble for his family to deal with. So he just gave them to me.

I did not have any NFA items with him. But sorry for your loss of a friend.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Forget writing this?
Quoted:.  Dealer had received my suppressor after their FFL expired so they couldn't transfer it.  
Get your story straight.
It's not straight, obviously.

The dealer closed up shop and moved all inventory to their residence near by, and the termination of the FFL was sudden.  The FFL contacted the ATF to let them know they were terminating their business immediately, surrendered records, etc. The transferring individual was no longer an FFL, so they had to get the local Sherriff to be involved. The individual was also out of state, but the inventory was still at their local residence. Hence the need for the warrant.

There is so much wrong with these details it reeks.
Someone fed you a story that wasn't based on facts. A county sheriff has nothing to do with being "involved" unless there is evidence of a crime. THAT'S why there may have been a warrant. Dealers give up their FFL's all the time and no one calls the sheriff.

Only a myth if I have the paperwork somewhere and can provide it in a timely manner.  I had never seen the approved paperwork with my own eyes.  Call it a myth, but I don't.  Better to be safe than sorry.

"Myth" was me putting it politely.
More to the point is saying there ain't no such law and never has been.
It's one of those NFA myths thats based on ignorance and not facts.
It does when the F-3 serial/model, etc.  matches the receipt showing my name and serial, model, etc.

Yet thats not what you wrote.
I called the FFL that sent the item to the dealer and asked for the Form-3.  They gladly sent me a copy.  That shows you own the NFA item, but just can't possess it yet.
Again, a Form 3 has jack squat to do with showing ownership. Your sales receipt is your proof of purchase.

I also obtained the delivery confirmation and signature, too, that it was delivered to the FFL in question and on the F-3. This information trail aided the ATF by showing the original receipt, the F-3 to the dealer and the receipt of the suppressor by that dealer. I don't know where surrendered books get sent to, but that would have been a nightmare to wait and let the government try to run down that firearm. The moral of my story was to give as much information as possible to help them help you.

True.
When your FFL closed up, ATF should have known he had NFA items in his possession. They should have asked about his pending Form 4's. If he received the NFA firearms his FFL WAS VALID and nothing prevented him from filing your Form 4. That he didn't bother means your FFL didn't give a shit about you.

BTW, how does your response help the op at all?  This isn't GD.

I ask the same of you. Your post is such an illogical tale, chock full of misinformation it serves little purpose to anyone.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It may not help the OP (or it may) but as this isn't a private message between the OP and someone else, there are probably quite a few people reading it.
If there is incorrect information being stated in this thread, others might consider it "gospel" and rely on it. And I for one, am grateful that DogtownTom has questioned or corrected some misinformation.
He shares a wealth of valuable technical information on all things NFA related and has been around here awhile, so when he says something, those among us who are wise, pay attention.
View Quote

Asskisser.
Thank you for your assessment of my awesomeness, but full credit goes to other forum members that I learned from, RenegadeX, BigWaylon, tonyK, and dozens of others.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
...He knew they would be trouble for his family to deal with...
View Quote

I saw a story on TV last week about Swedish Death Cleaning.
It's about decluttering your home so upon your death your loved ones are not burdened with the task.

Having a will or living trust is just one part. If your family isn't into guns, then tell them how to sell your guns and accessories to maximize their value. As an FFL I've had widows and the children of the deceased ask me how to determine value and where to sell. Many in their grief don't want to deal with it.

Have a will, have a plan.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top