Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2022 12:26:58 AM EDT
I just picked up a 551 with aluminum lower to go with my 550 with steel lower.  I've got 2 sig mags and 2 dominion mags.  They all function flawlessly in the 550 but the dominion mags don't lock the bolt back when empty in the 551 with the aluminum lower.  Kind of a bummer but as long as they feed I guess they are good for the range.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#1]
do they lock back on an empty mag when you run it manually?
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Swap followers between the Swiss and Dominion mags and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
do they lock back on an empty mag when you run it manually?
View Quote

No that is how I am testing it so far.  I will test fire it tomorrow.  

On my 550 i have to cycle it a little hard manually for it to engage but when firing it always engages.  On the 551 it just doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Swap followers between the Swiss and Dominion mags and see what happens.
View Quote

I might try that this evening when I get home.  Thanks for the tip to try.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Also check the mag springs and baseplate. In my case I had failures to feed and the mag was assembled incorrectly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
The magazine contracted the KUNG - PEW
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The magazine contracted the KUNG - PEW
View Quote

Ha. What could go wrong with Chinese SIG 55x mags.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ha. What could go wrong with Chinese SIG 55x mags.
View Quote

They came with a 551-a1 I bought and then immediately sold after deciding to buy a Swiss 550.  I kept the 2 extra mags and sold the gun for more than I bought it for.  They work great in the 550 with the steel lower.  They just don't lock the bolt back on the 551 with aluminum lower.  I intend to swap the followers with one of my Swiss mags but I just forget.  I have all sort of gun projects and sometimes forget about things.  I will try tomorrow and post my results.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 553 with an aluminum lower and mine have worked fine.  They were also new when I got them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They came with a 551-a1 I bought and then immediately sold after deciding to buy a Swiss 550.  I kept the 2 extra mags and sold the gun for more than I bought it for.  They work great in the 550 with the steel lower.  They just don't lock the bolt back on the 551 with aluminum lower.  I intend to swap the followers with one of my Swiss mags but I just forget.  I have all sort of gun projects and sometimes forget about things.  I will try tomorrow and post my results.
View Quote

I have a few that came with a Swiss 551-1 LB I used to own. Rifle is gone, but I kept the mags. They are interesting. They work fine in steel and aluminum lowers for me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess something about the mag bodies is slightly out of spec.  I tried swapping the followers. Oh well.  They function other than the bolt not locking back and I have a few Swiss mags.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like the springs may be worn out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top