Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2018 9:22:14 PM EDT
Today,  I loaded up 1000 9mm 147gr.   . . .   and 500  40cal/180gr.

only had two stoppages, twice 9mm brass has trying to hide in 40 brass ( not the machines fault )

I really love this machine, it just runs

XL650

case-feeder

powder check system

roller handle

strong mount.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep going to the 650 from the 550 was the second best thing I have done for reloading.  My DAA bullet feeder for the 650 was the best.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had my 550 since right after they came out. cannot even imagine how many thousands of rounds have passed thru that thing. I quit putting rounds in plastic boxes & instead used milk jugs. a coupla times a year I take it completely down to clean, inspect & oil it. after all these years I have only had to replace the casting that the powder measure rides on & the primer feed tower, the two bolt holes were stripped out. thats all except for small bits like springs.
their warranty has been top shelf.
I can see why the OP calls his a trusty old friend. its easy to have a fondness for something that has served you so well for so many years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
A buddy has a 650 setup just like yours...used it maybe twice.  He buys all his ammo online, I reload all of mine on (2) 550's.  I tried really hard to justify buying his, I'm just not shooting as many matches as in previous years.  Winter here is when much of the bulk loading gets done.  As much as he would like me to have it, frankly the cash outlay would bite into my component purchases.  Those of you who run 650's...Bless your hearts, Dillon has served me well all these years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Started on a Dillon 550B loading 2 pistol and 1 rifle calibers.  After 4 years of great service I sold it off to get a Dillon XL650 w/casefeeder.  I've had it a dozen years now and I'm up to 7 pistol and 9 rifle calibers.  Couldn't imagine rifle caseprep cycles followed by reloading cycles without my 650 and casefeeder.  One of the best investments I've ever made.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#5]
As a competitive shooter , getting a Dillon 650 was one of the best decisions I've made.

If you are making holes on paper, there's probably more economical solutions.  However if you want to customize your loads to the activity/sport you're planning to shot in, give the 650 some thought.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Cranked out a couple hundred 230gr .45ACP rounds tonight.  Good way to pass the time.

My .44 Mag dies and quick change kit just arrived.

FYI:  Grafs sells Dillon stuff cheaper than Dillon or Amazon.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#7]
You need a bullet feeder.  Just added one to mine.  Sooooo much faster.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish i could "justify" a 650.

Every time i consider it i just end up spending the money on components instead of switching presses.

Link Posted: 9/16/2018 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Ain't that the truth!!!

Can put together a 100 rounds of 9mm in a matter of about 3 minutes. And that's not cranking like a mad man either. Just a nice steady pace.

ETA..the bullet feeder is what made me go from Green(RCBS Pro2000) to Blue(Dillon). RCBS doesn't offer one at all.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m new to the Blue but it’s the trusty friend I wished I had years ago.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I love mine, it always runs well, such a great investment with the case feeder.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought my first progressive in 2003 when I bought an UZI. After loading a few hundred rounds, I wish I’d known about Dillon thirty years ago. I now have a 650 with a lot of enhancements from Snowshooze from eBay and Entirely Crimson.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#13]
My 650 sat for a few years after our move with almost zero use. I finally needed some fmj 9mm loaded and got her working again. I had like ten gallons of brass to sort and clean. I needed a bunch of rounds made up to practice for my NRA Pistol instructor certification.

I found the aftermarket for the press had matured a lot. I added some bearings to the indexer cam and case seater slide ramp. Added lighting to the bottom of the toolhead and a bearing to the shell plate to minimize powder spill. They now make these little locator pins that have rubber grommets that make contact with the cases to minimize the powder being kicked out.

I learned to tear down the platform and grease it properly. Then learned how to use the alignment pin to assure the alignment was perfect. Setting the cam bearing properly eliminates powder spilling. The bearings smooth out the action significantly over stock form. I run a lot less grease now which minimizes dirt and grime build up. My indexer had a notch worn in to the face of it by the plastic indexer ring over the years. The shell slider always has a groove cut in to the plastic by the steel post. I replaced it with a new slide and put the bearing in place.

I replaced my Dillon roller handle with an In-line Fabrications model since I wore out the Dillon over a 100k rounds. The snap ring wore the retaining groove out. Dillon will replace it, but I wanted to try the Inline fabrication model. I like it better except I can’t reach the shell case slide with my thumb while holding the handle to clear upside down or tipped over cases.

I’ve been resizing/depriming about a thousand 9mm cases a night working down my stockpile I collected. These  improvements have made the task a lot less tedious.

This week I’m adding a Mr. Bulletfeeder unit to the press which looks to be an amazing advancement. I’m probably going to get a relocated primer catch this week as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top