Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2023 2:25:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label]
ETA: see post below for pic update.

Have owned three Benchmade Infidels and 7 Cobratec OTFs. Sold one Infidel and gave away two of the Cobratecs to my kiddos over the past year. Benchmade and Cobratec is all that I've found for sale locally. But I stopped into Scheel's (where I bought all of my OTFs) this afternoon and they now carry Microtech. So even though I had no need to buy any, I thought I'd see what all the fuss here and on the blade forums was and promptly picked-out the biggest one and bought it. They had a few slightly smaller ones painted in a cool camo color, but they wanted a $100 premium over my larger model. I don't get my knives to just be pretty safe queens (though the Infidels do fit that description). I carry and use an auto knife every day (you may be able to spot my well worn NYPD Blue Cobratec).

Anyways... after playing with and carrying the Microtech today I find that I'm not underwhelmed with it, but not overwhelmed either. Time will tell how I feel about it. The Benchmades are almost like a fencing foil in their sleek, sharp, lightness. Part of the reason I don't carry them anymore is that I use my knives and they're too dainty feeling to be doing any cutting duties... well they're ridiculously sharp, but I don't want to mess up blades on $400 knives. So we'll set those aside and compare the Microtech to the Cobratecs. So far ìt seems pretty damn close and I don't have a full proper feel in the way of a comparison yet. There was no "WOW! It's a night and day difference" for sure. But since I'm $314 into this thing, I'm certainly invested in thinking highly of it... since it's 2-3x what the Cobratacs cost.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 2:30:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#1]
Btw... for those that want a Microtech but don't want to spend Microtech money, get thyself to a Cobratec dealer and get one. You won't be disappointed... as I haven't been so. I highly doubt that the addition of the new Microtec is gonna sour me on Cobratec. For the would-be Cobratec haters, They've been made in the U.S. for a while now and their warranty policy is one of the best in the business. I've never had to warranty any of these blades though. All work as advertised.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't want to spend microtec money (I eventually did) and found these guys. I went thru several iterations staying cheap.  The issue I ran into was that the handle coating was subpar. I discovered that if it doesn't have a hardcoat anodizing it will never hold up clipped to the pocket. This knife  has it and works great. They have smaller HC handles but this one hits my sweet spot. As much as I've spent over time trying to find a good cheaper knife, I should have just bought a microtec .
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:44:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNRonin:
I didn't want to spend microtec money (I eventually did) and found these guys. I went thru several iterations staying cheap.  The issue I ran into was that the handle coating was subpar. I discovered that if it doesn't have a hardcoat anodizing it will never hold up clipped to the pocket. This knife  has it and works great. They have smaller HC handles but this one hits my sweet spot. As much as I've spent over time trying to find a good cheaper knife, I should have just bought a microtec .
View Quote

You're spot on about the paint. You can tell how shitty the paint job on my EDC Cobratec is. And yup... the ones that are anodized are fine. That's pretty much my only gripe about that brand at this point. I carried my Microtech all day today (including using it to cut cloth rags and thick multiple layers of paper towels), and it's killer thus far too. My daily driver, pride-and-joy convertible is getting very close to needing new rubber, and part of me can't help but think that I should have done "the needful" instead of getting a new blade that I absolutely didn't need. But I'm still stoked to have finally become a Microtech club member, and it's not unthinkable that I may eventually end up with several more down the road.

Btw... besides Cobratec's warranty and made-in-america status, the fact that their blades are made of D2 steel is a huge plus! Well... unless you want to sharpen the damn things.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 1:41:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MyKACFailed] [#4]
As I posted in my Microtech sale/heads up thread, I went from zero to 5 Microtechs in a week (3 OTFs).  I think the Ultratechs (and larger) are fantastic, but I got a (regular) Troodon (UTX85 size, apparently) and I was in that same "not overwhelmed/not underwhelmed" zone as you.  My thought was, "Ah, this is what I will carry when I'm in Black Tie (which is almost never anymore).  

BTW, After going hogwild on Microtechs, I learned about the Deadlocks, which apparently are the true OTF master race nowadays . . . and start at $1100 accordingly.  Gotta cash in on those patents while you have them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a few.

The only ones I think are worth a damn or live up to the hype are the combat troodons. (Of course you could buy a new Glock for the price of one)

I got a couple smaller ones for the wife, she likes them, and they are handy, easy for her to carry in her tighter lady pants. No issues with the spring action.

I have found the medium sized ones to be garbage. The spring mechanism has weakened on 2 (utx 85s I think don’t remember the model number or style) to where they don’t open or close completely.

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PineRidge:

I have found the medium sized ones to be garbage. The spring mechanism has weakened on 2 (utx 85s I think don’t remember the model number or style) to where they don’t open or close completely.

View Quote

That is debris in the tract, most likely pocket lint, or old oil gumming it up.  OTF autos do require maintenance from time to time.  Microtechs are incredibly simple to work on and tools to disassemble can be purchased cheaply through ebay or etsy.  I also keep on hand replacement springs for all my autos, which can also be purchased cheaply.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 0331_usmc:

That is debris in the tract, most likely pocket lint, or old oil gumming it up.  OTF autos do require maintenance from time to time.  Microtechs are incredibly simple to work on and tools to disassemble can be purchased cheaply through ebay or etsy.  I also keep on hand replacement springs for all my autos, which can also be purchased cheaply.
View Quote

That's good info. I do have to oil my Benchmades and Cobratecs every now and then, or they will eventually fail to "go into battery". I've only had it a few times, but it seems totally reasonable. My pocket semi-auto CCWs require periodic lubing as well. Just part of the deal when dealing metal moving parts... especially things that move rapidly. I have had to talk a few friends "off the edge" in regards to their OTFs that eventually started sticking before lock-up. I'm like "just reset it, oil it, and work it in and out several times. In every case that worked. Duh! It's called Google guys (or common sense)!

I'll have to get a few spare springs though, as I've never done that for an auto/assisted knife. I haven't carried any of mine often enough to even worry about it, besides that NYPD Blue Cobratec. I won't get crazy with carrying springs for all of my autos, since I've got a handful. I tend to be a nut about having spares (BCGs, etc). Being 55YO and a child of parents with certain health risks that makes my health expectancy shorter than many (my mom passed at 52)... I'm trying to reign in my obsessive need to have spares and parts for everything I own. But still... wouldn't hurt to have a few spares on hand for my most-carried knives.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:11:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#8]
Originally Posted By MyKACFailed:
As I posted in my Microtech sale/heads up thread, I went from zero to 5 Microtechs in a week (3 OTFs).  I think the Ultratechs (and larger) are fantastic, but I got a (regular) Troodon (UTX85 size, apparently) and I was in that same "not overwhelmed/not underwhelmed" zone as you.  My thought was, "Ah, this is what I will carry when I'm in Black Tie (which is almost never anymore).  

BTW, After going hogwild on Microtechs, I learned about the Deadlocks, which apparently are the true OTF master race nowadays . . . and start at $1100 accordingly.  Gotta cash in on those patents while you have them.
View Quote

DAYUMMM... the Microtechs and Benchmade Infidels are gonna be the highest prices that I'm willing to pay for OTFs. That sounds too rich for my wanna-be rich blood! I'll be a member of the "Wanna-be-rich" OTF club.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 0331_usmc:

View Quote

I sent mine back for a “spa day” late last year; clean, sharpen, pamper. Something like $20.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn... dealer got a bunch more Microtechs in... all sizes, colors, and blade types. Had to have this green one. Very classy. They're starting to multiply!!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 2:45:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crashburnrepeat] [#11]
Nice! I want a drop point combat troodon really bad. Only ones I can find are bright purple lol

I have a makora that I love but it's a bit small
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:42:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#12]
Added a 3rd Ultratech today (the red tanto). Need to take a break on blades for a while.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Red_Label:
Btw... for those that want a Microtech but don't want to spend Microtech money, get thyself to a Cobratec dealer and get one. You won't be disappointed... as I haven't been so. I highly doubt that the addition of the new Microtec is gonna sour me on Cobratec. For the would-be Cobratec haters, They've been made in the U.S. for a while now and their warranty policy is one of the best in the business. I've never had to warranty any of these blades though. All work as advertised.
View Quote

Meh, Hifinder / Miker / ok-knives.net clones are superior to Cobratec for the $$
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:09:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#14]
Originally Posted By Austin4130:

Meh, Hifinder / Miker / ok-knives.net clones are superior to Cobratec for the $$
View Quote

Meh... having owned and carried multiple examples of Benchmade, Microtech, and Cobratec OTFs... I still think Cobratecs kick ass for the money. I've been slowly starting to give my Cobratec OTFs to my kiddos, but that's only because I don't want to have a bunch of $300-450 knives sitting around unused. If I was poorer, I'd be just fine carrying my Cobratecs until my time here was up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#15]
The Dirac/Dirac Delta is a better knife IMO over the Infidel. Very happy with my Dirac Delta in comparison to my buddies Infidel. It's also $100 cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 12:27:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DOE] [#16]
It's your coin, get what you like.  Can't take it with you when you're dead.
Rolex and Timex both tell time.  You buy a Rolex to tell more than time.  The same about Microtech.

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cheezzyizill:
The Dirac/Dirac Delta is a better knife IMO over the Infidel. Very happy with my Dirac Delta in comparison to my buddies Infidel. It's also $100 cheaper.
View Quote

Funny you mention the Dirac. I picked one up last night. It's a beast for a dagger OTF
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had two Infidels.  Both had issues of jumping off track and failing to deploy.  Both sent back to get fixed.  One was new and should have not made it out the door.  The other was used but not abused.  Personally, not a fan of the button layout.  YMMV.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top