Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2022 8:26:00 PM EDT
I wanted to share a pic of the 2 Ithaca M37's below.

Top: is an M37 Featherlight (7+1) 8-Shot Chrome M&P Riot with a 2 3/4" chamber 20" barrel...

Bottom: is an M37 Featherlight (4+1) 5-Shot Parkerized Deerslayer Riot w/ Deer-Sights both 2 3/4 & 3" chamber 18.5" barrel... (my favorite of the two)...

They both shoot/pattern really well and although previously warned they would recoil harshly... I've noticed they recoil similarly to my Mossy M500 with 2 3/4" Hornady Critical Defense loads. The Ithaca's shoot rifled slugs very, very accurately even out to 100 Yards of which I am extremely surprised considering they are equipped with smooth bore barrels. The Park'd M37 with the Deer Sights shoot Winchester rifled slugs and Sabo'd slugs,
"Especially Tight!" Probably due to the front and rear sight combo as opposed to a standard bead sight. They also handle, point, and are on target faster/better than the M500 Riot I have and also love.

M37's

Pic of another exact version of the Original Box (NOT MINE) of my above "Chrome" version I was able to pull off of GB from when I was researching to find out more about the unique finish. I wasn't sure if it was Nickle or Chrome. A few sites refer to it as a "Marine/Coat-Version". Apparently some California Departments (near the coast) ordered/spec'd these for their salt-water exposure from my research. Mine is not marked with any Dept's designation so I figure it may be an "Over-Run" maybe but don't know for sure. If anyone knows more about them I'd love to be in the know and appreciate your knowledge on the subject of it's designation and coating.

M37's aforementioned above...

Pic of box of another M&P Chrome Model (serial numbered within a few hundred of mine)

Pic of Ithaca M37 Chrome M&P atop along with my beloved Mossberg M500 below...

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.
Mine. I'm thinking of swapping the pistol griped buttstock to the bottom one and the wooden buttstock to the top. Putting the pistol grip on the middle one.

eta- my Mossys

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I love trench guns. And the Model 37's were one of the best. I am a Winchester model 97 riot gun fan, myself.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Slam fire vintage?

Nice guns.

(right for life, left for death, that's our shibboleth).
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a chopped down M37 that has a pistol grip. I had a Vindicator on it, but the frame of it cracked several years ago. I thought I kept it somewhere, but I haven’t ran across it in several years. I bet I could 3d print a new frame for it as long as I have the pieces.

I also have a parked/rifle sighted model. Still need to get a 7 shot model eventually!
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Deer Slayer Police Special like the bottom one. Supposedly was surplused by the Ohio State Highway Patrol and purchased from a Dallas police equipment store in 1982 or so.

Punishes on both ends. It likes the mini shotshells but I've never tried to see how many it will hold. I also have a vent rib 26 inch modified barrel for it. Good quail gun.

Slam fire for the win.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I want one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#7]
jmreagan -
Your chrome model 37 is the only other one I've seen that is exactly like mine.  When I bought mine it had a Pachmayr "Street Sweeper" black composite pistol grip/fore-end installed.  I also have the original wooden stock/fore-end.  I bought an aftermarket black composite stock/fore-arm so now it's "all-weather".  I really like the idea of 7+1 rounds when headed to our cabin (in bear country).  You have a fine pair of model 37 shotguns.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love trench guns. And the Model 37's were one of the best. I am a Winchester model 97 riot gun fan, myself.
View Quote
monica

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice.
Mine. I'm thinking of swapping the pistol griped buttstock to the bottom one and the wooden buttstock to the top. Putting the pistol grip on the middle one.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255759/DB508911-705E-407C-83F3-45040A9A5082-2337996.jpg

eta- my Mossys
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255759/07F3B395-6E5F-4E27-8B6A-AE3BD2254505-2338002.jpg
View Quote

Well Done Sir! All of your Shotty's are BEAUTIFUL!

They have such a warm and comforting presence of protection... I have the Park'd Ithaca hiding in plain sight in our home and most if not everyone visiting don't even notice!

The M37 sits-so innocuously against the dark fireplace stones of which blends into the sliding glass door's and trim that (even the nosy in-laws to date) have never questioned it because she's so classically mixed into the Decor.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed! I believe the M37 borrowed a good bit both from the Winchester M97 and Remmy M12 if my memory serves correctly. All 3 are fantastically utilitarian... a kinda do it all long arm considering they'll sling 1oz slugs out to 100 meters quite accurately while deal death quick at across room distances and everything in-between. I wouldn't hesitate to take the M37 to a recreational trap or skeet shoot either!
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Slam fire vintage?

Nice guns.

(right for life, left for death, that's our shibboleth).
View Quote

The Chrome 2 3/4" chambered M37 build date is 81' and the Parked 3" chambered M37 was born in 87'... Surprisingly, both do slam-fire! I thought that feature was eliminated in the early to mid-80's according to my own research but that isn't the case with either example. I can see how effective slam-firing is for clearing a hostile area really quickly!
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a chopped down M37 that has a pistol grip. I had a Vindicator on it, but the frame of it cracked several years ago. I thought I kept it somewhere, but I haven’t ran across it in several years. I bet I could 3d print a new frame for it as long as I have the pieces.

I also have a parked/rifle sighted model. Still need to get a 7 shot model eventually!
View Quote

Sounds lovey your chop'd M37. Please post a pic or more. I'm not familiar with a "Vindicator" but I'd like to know.

For my 4+1 shot M37 I'd like to add a heat shield as she gets pretty hot with that Featherlight barrel and touching off 4+1 rounds in slam-action for sure, hahaha! The point-ability of this model and quick on target makes it my favorite of my trio and probably my favorite over anything else I've borrowed or tried. Damn she's quick on target... and "if" you miss that 2nd shot is usually very favorable with the slam-feature! What a great design and durable shotgun these M37's are!
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a Deer Slayer Police Special like the bottom one. Supposedly was surplused by the Ohio State Highway Patrol and purchased from a Dallas police equipment store in 1982 or so.

Punishes on both ends. It likes the mini shotshells but I've never tried to see how many it will hold. I also have a vent rib 26 inch modified barrel for it. Good quail gun.

Slam fire for the win.
View Quote

Awesome and very cool to have an Agency owned shotty! It's hard to find a shotgun that will reliably shoot & cycle the mini-shotshells so I've been told. I've yet to try them but friends say they are finicky at best even out of pump shotguns... but if the Ithaca's will reliably cycle/shoot them I'm all-in!
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
jmreagan -
Your chrome model 37 is the only other one I've seen that is exactly like mine.  When I bought mine it had a Pachmayr "Street Sweeper" black composite pistol grip/fore-end installed.  I also have the original wooden stock/fore-end.  I bought an aftermarket black composite stock/fore-arm so now it's "all-weather".  I really like the idea of 7+1 rounds when headed to our cabin (in bear country).  You have a fine pair of model 37 shotguns.
View Quote

Thank you akbluz! Ive never known or seen another Chrome Ithaca 7+1 shot in the wild. The only other one I've seen online sold for $2275 on GB HERE! Which is insane if you ask me... I love both these Ithaca's... I never knew they had such a following but I do understand it!

We too have a shared family Mountain Cabin and we also carry an Ithaca along with an M29 3" snub for protection up there. Ithaca's just bring a smile to my face...
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]
The two sexiest things in God's world is a brunette with dark skin, dark eyes and an Ithaca 37.

Nice shotguns!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top