Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 4:04:14 PM EDT
Waiting on grafs to give me my 750 and wondering what things are a “must have” for progressive reloading for the press.
Have a case feeder and thinking of bullet feeder if I can get one to work with a powder check die somehow.

Thinking case shutoff/ primer shutoff. Kms light, roller handle, not sure on which mount yet. (No bench built yet just clamping to kitchen counter)

Maybe powder micrometer, maybe aftermarket roller bearing for ram (can’t remember term off top of my head)

Are floating tool-heads worth it? For non comp ammo, mostly range?

What is consensus on powder baffles/ powder check die/ tall powder hopper?

Looking to load maybe 5+ cart. At min. With cfe blk/ 296/ wsf/ h335/ 8208/...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
#1 for me is the shell plate bearing kit. Got mine off ebay and it makes a huge difference. Strong mount ,  Upgrade handle, light for tool head, all the bin mounts, and the case feeder. Had to throw in the case feeder since you’re buying !  You got a great press coming. Enjoy it and be safe. You’ll be spitting out piles of ammo !
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Must haves:
Case feeder
Strong mount/roller handle (either brand)
Powder micrometer
RT1500

I like the bearing upgrades too.
A primer tube filler is nice. (DAA primer pro for me)
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
#1 for me is the shell plate bearing kit. Got mine off ebay and it makes a huge difference. Strong mount ,  Upgrade handle, light for tool head, all the bin mounts, and the case feeder. Had to throw in the case feeder since you’re buying !  You got a great press coming. Enjoy it and be safe. You’ll be spitting out piles of ammo !
View Quote

I’ll have to look into the bearing kit. Is that for under the shell plate or the cam bearing kit? If latter already have one on the way. Same with strong mount, roller handle, wrench set w/ bracket, light (km2).

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#5]
  • For 5 different cartridges get 5 tool heads and 5 powder dies for each caliber
  • Get an extra toolhead to use for a universal decapping die and/or platform alignment tool
  • Get the Dillon platform alignment tool
  • I'm good without a bearing kit on my 650 but happy with the one I have on my 550
  • Get the cam bearing, got mine from https://entirelycrimson.com/collections/dillon-xl-750/products/case-feed-bearing-camming-pin
  • Get an extra powder measure if loading pistol and rifle, keep one with the large bar for rifle installed and one with the small bar for pistol installed in it
  • Polish your powder measures, real easy
  • Powder check system should be mandatory IMHO
  • extra primer tubes and primer tube stands are nice

I never needed one of those low mass index balls, I just snipped the spring for the index ball and no jerky shell plate motion spilling powder when indexing.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Open Quote to see answers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Waiting on grafs to give me my 750 and wondering what things are a "must have" for progressive reloading for the press.
Have a case feeder and thinking of bullet feeder if I can get one to work with a powder check die somehow.

Thinking case shutoff/ primer shutoff. Kms light, roller handle, not sure on which mount yet. (No bench built yet just clamping to kitchen counter) Roller handle is a must have.

Maybe powder micrometer, maybe aftermarket roller bearing for ram (can't remember term off top of my head) I have one on all my Dillon PM's
https://www.titanreloading.com/titan-reloading-products/easydial-small-bar Note they come in 2 sizes.

Are floating tool-heads worth it? For non comp ammo, mostly range? Not needed, it was designed that way for a reason.

What is consensus on powder baffles/ powder check die/ tall powder hopper? Not needed, the Dillon PM comes with an effective baffle.

Looking to load maybe 5+ cart. At min. With cfe blk/ 296/ wsf/ h335/ 8208/...

Open Quote to see answers.

Looking at the Arredondo micrometer adj.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
  • For 5 different cartridges get 5 tool heads and 5 powder dies for each caliber
  • Get an extra toolhead to use for a universal decapping die and/or platform alignment tool
  • I'm good without a bearing kit on my 650 but happy with the one I have on my 550
  • Get the cam bearing, got mine from https://entirelycrimson.com/collections/dillon-xl-750/products/case-feed-bearing-camming-pin
  • Get an extra powder measure if loading pistol and rifle, keep one with the large bar for rifle installed and one with the small bar for pistol installed in it

I never needed one of those low mass index balls, I just snipped the spring for the index ball and no jerky shell plate motion spilling powder when indexing.

View Quote

I gotta work up to diff tool heads for everything. Once materials become more available. Until then I’ll just swap things as needed. (Maybe just swap measure)
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I gotta work up to diff tool heads for everything. Once materials become more available. Until then I’ll just swap things as needed. (Maybe just swap measure)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will hate life doing that.  It's well worth the extra $125 to avoid it.

Also, watch this video as you'll likely need to do it to your press.

V29-Dillon XL750, Priming Wheel Hanging Up or Binding Against Primer Assembly
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tool heads are the whole point.

And he was telling you to buy the powder dies so you can move the one powder measure around.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And he was telling you to buy the powder dies so you can move the one powder measure around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then thats what I plan on doing for the time being. “Gotta work up to them” Only have supplies for .300 and .223 off hand (at least enough to justify using a progressive.)
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvoxpWcewnU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvoxpWcewnU

I only have 2 similar calibers that I could load now. Unless I wanted to run 275 9mm after working up a load. So it will have to work until I can get jesus to grant me some spp’s.
Thanks for the video.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have 12-14 of the ones I linked, they work well.

I have a PM on every Dillon tool head I have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking at the Arredondo micrometer adj.
I have 12-14 of the ones I linked, they work well.

I have a PM on every Dillon tool head I have.

I’ll look into them a little more and make a tough decision.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Just pick a caliber to load first.  Then when ready to load the next, get the toolhead for that.  I didn't buy all my reloading equipment at once, gradual process over the years.  I got by one powder measure at first, then bought a second, then a third, then a 4th.  Then toolhead stands.  Then extra primer tubes all at different times.

Most recent purchase was extra toolhead, powder die, decapping die so I could decap 45ACP on the 650 for wet tumbling.  Last year got the cam bearing thingies for the 650, year before that the light kits for the 550 and 650, year before that 550 primer bearing and shell plate bearing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:36:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just pick a caliber to load first.  Then when ready to load the next, get the toolhead for that.  I didn't buy all my reloading equipment at once, gradual process over the years.  I got by one powder measure at first, then bought a second, then a third, then a 4th.  Then toolhead stands.  Then extra primer tubes all at different times.

Most recent purchase was extra toolhead, powder die, decapping die so I could decap 45ACP on the 650 for wet tumbling.  Last year got the cam bearing thingies for the 650, year before that the light kits for the 550 and 650, year before that 550 primer bearing and shell plate bearing.
View Quote

Exactly what I am trying to do. Get some of the pressessories out of the way first and concentrate on other calibers a little later when components may be a little more available.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone ever use this or similar to “clock” measure for ease of use with MBF and stuff?

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1746

Or short powder bar? Would like to use A powder check but not sure if Dillons would work better or get on the list for DAA magnetic. Sounds like DAA can be very dependent on case length? I like that dillons lets you know even that there is no case as opposed to the DAA but daa seems to take much less space and is tunable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Do yourself a favor and run the machine without any upgrades before you spend money for problems you don't have.

Read the manual and don't just watch YouTube videos.

I use my Dillon for big bulk runs of 9mm,223,308 etc. Minimum run is 1000 rounds to a maximum of about 15,000 rounds. I have a single stage press and couple of  Dillon SDB for smaller runs. I only reload from Oct/Nov through March cause its too darn hot other times of the year. The family and I shoot 50-60k rounds a year which means our reloading sessions are long.

IMHO must haves are:
Dillon case feeder
Dillon roller handle
Inline fabrication ultramount. Not the quick change mount. The quick change has too much flex.

IMHO nice to have :
Dillon bullet tray. Nicer than other brands/solutions and its indestructible. It acts as resting place for my left hand.
Dillon powder check. Its plenty accurate for me.
Extra Dillon primer tubes. For me that's 10+ in all sizes.
Extra Akro bins. I must have 25+
Knobs/micrometer for powder measure. For most of the powders I us I don't need a micrometer but are great to have.

IMHO pure luxury
Dillon low powder alarm. I personally think its a must have.
Tool heads for every cal you reload. I have 3 9mm for different load we like to shoot.  If you can't afford a PM for each tool head a powder bar for each load is a good compromise.
Automatic primer filler. I have the Dillon rf100. The pains I would get filling primer tubes manually just got to be too much for me.
Spent primer funnel. I ran a tube from the funnel into a 1gal milk jug under my bench.
Rubber mat in front of the bench. I reload standing up.

Upgrades that I've used and removed:
Shell plate needle bearing, index bearing etc. One I read the Dillon manual and started greasing my machine every 3000 rounds I found no need for these upgrades.

Detent ball and spring. The reason to reduce snap is so powder does not spill all over the shell plate. To me the machine does not run smoother by using them. Its a combination of powder, fill height and snap. When I realized this only happened with w231 in 9mm I switched to another powder and problem solved. Also I don't have to keep special springs and index balls around.

Never tried because I do it differently:
Case feeder stop. I cut a 6in piece of hanger wire and bent it into a U and problem solved.

Primer stop. Remove the primer advance cam. One screw. does not pertain to the xl750.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#18]
All my Dillons have this right here. Trust me, you will love them! You can never have too much light when reloading!

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-550-650-750-toolhead-light-kit_8_114_26868.html

I like these too if you need it super super bright!

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/10/10/ufo-led-press-light-updates-for-dillon/
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Got my 750 back in May, and found the inline fab mount, ufo led light, Dillon cartridge feeder, roller handle, uniquetek micrometer for powder bars, shell plate roller bearing, and mr bulletfeeder mini for pistol calibers. Have loaded thousands of rounds in 9mm, 10mm, 38 super, 45acp, 357 mag , and 44 mag. These accessories do make a difference when it comes to volume, which is what Dillon presses are all about. I also have several other makes of presses that I have used over the years. The 750 is like a big kids erector set.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:24:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

On my 750 the tabs I bought wouldn't work in the 6 o'clock tab location. It rubbed on the frame. So I clipped it at an angle to clear and works fine now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

On my 750 the tabs I bought wouldn't work in the 6 o'clock tab location. It rubbed on the frame. So I clipped it at an angle to clear and works fine now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That’s odd, mine has plenty of clearance.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Got my 750 back in May, and found the inline fab mount, ufo led light, Dillon cartridge feeder, roller handle, uniquetek micrometer for powder bars, shell plate roller bearing, and mr bulletfeeder mini for pistol calibers. Have loaded thousands of rounds in 9mm, 10mm, 38 super, 45acp, 357 mag , and 44 mag. These accessories do make a difference when it comes to volume, which is what Dillon presses are all about. I also have several other makes of presses that I have used over the years. The 750 is like a big kids erector set.
View Quote

Sounds a little different from my setup (brands) but very similar.
I’m the reloader who wants to shoot, not so much reload. Press should be here Tue. luckily I have almost everything to get started here by then. May have to sub some #450 primers in 9mm as I still haven’t gotten my .223 conversion kit for that and .300 aac.

Unless some miracle happens with spp
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s odd, mine has plenty of clearance.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50664/A7B32C9D-34CC-41C5-9B37-34619C3FC89B_jpe-1792813.JPG

He may be talking about a diff set of tabs? I know I’ve seen multiple shapes and sizes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#25]
If possible get a  rock solid bench.   Dillons don’t really play well if they aren’t solid.

And the roller handle is a must.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

He may be talking about a diff set of tabs? I know I’ve seen multiple shapes and sizes.
View Quote

10/4, I was only aware of the kind I have. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:23:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If possible get a  rock solid bench.   Dillons don’t really play well if they aren’t solid.

And the roller handle is a must.
View Quote

Trying to nail down a design that is easier to build in winter and still looks nice. For the time being, I’ll have to use a couple slabs of plywood and the peninsula/ island.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:36:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Depends on the supplier
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top