Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2022 5:09:58 PM EDT
I have a safariland holster I like but I’m embracing the whole camo your shit idea. Is there a basic peel and stick camo wrap/tape that works on kydex or do I just hit it with krylon?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I used fabric "stick to itself" OCP 2" tape. I sprayed each piece with spray adhesive then applied it to the holster.. came out good.. I definitely got better as I went. I would NOT recommend spraying the holster… makes a mess

Krylon certainly works and I've done that as well but the fabric has the additional advantage of quieting the plastic holster down.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
https://gearskin.eu/

Kinda spendy but it appears to finish nicely and last.

Maybe a cheaper alternative is just buy cordura and use spray adhesive.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spray paint it.
View Quote

I would recommend praying, too. I've never been satisfied with camo wraps.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Sending pm
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Gearskin/Gunskin is legit, but I couldn't imagine doing a holster... I did a Tomahawk scabbard and it was some fiddly work. I'd use Alumahyde II, seems to hold up the best (if you aren't going to use C Series Air Dry Cerakote with a Preval Sprayer) - just be prepared with a clean out nozzle and extra tips, AH clogs like a MoFo.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sTC5gLXBppBaQyeX8

Literally wrapped this last night.   Not the best work.  But I'm content with it.    Ghostmen designs wrap.   Sticky as all hell.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Gearskin is legit, but I had to order mine from overseas and it took a while to arrive.

Also, you better be a Tacticool "arts and crafts" guy to wrap holsters.  They take patience and some trial and error to do.  

I do prefer the wrap over painting though, because the wrap makes the surface of the holster less reflective.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm cheap I rattle can that shit!
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#10]
thanks all, I think I'm going to try some fabric and spray adhesive. I'm not 100% sure what the holster I have is, and if this turns out OK I may do a few more anyway

any of the amazon options decent or should I go to Joe-Annes fabric or Hobby Lobby and be weird.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, use good quality material. Rockywoods has a presence on amazon if you want the ease of shopping there. Otherwise, hit up their site directly. they have good quality cordura.

This thread inspired me to do my first wrap.
Used an older safariland holster that doesn't see much use.
It was a little spur of the moment and hasty to be honest.

I used 500d cordura and super 77 spray.
Masked off the inner edges inside the holster and packed a bunch of paper towels inside, making sure there were no fuzzy edges sticking out the top or bottom.

Disassembled the holster hardware.
Wiped with 99% alcohol. All the nooks and valleys.

At the last minute realized I needed a way to hold onto the holster to spray it.
Used a sharp awl wrapped in tape stuck into the tightly packed paper towels as a handle.

I fired up the soldering iron before I started any further to let it warm up.

Pre cut a swatch of cordura that was bigger than I needed. Focusing on the camo pattern I wanted to be centered on the front.

Layed cordura onto a piece of carboard and sprayed an even coat.
Sprayed a layer onto the holster. Then did 1 more light coat onto each piece.
Transferred the cordura to a work surface. Layed the holster onto it and started slowly working it into place.

I used the back of a sharpie and my booger hooks to work the nooks.
Once I got to a screw mount, used the soldering iron to make a hole.
The safariland has a lot of threaded inserts protruding out of it.

Overlapped it at the back side, near-ish the middle, between hardware pieces.
Once wrapped, I used a brand new razor blade to trim the edges. Next time would add an exacto blade to my list of tools for the tight curves.

ETA: Forgot to mention. After trimming, I used a bic lighter to touch up all the edges.
Then applied a thick super glue around all of the cut edges.
Wiped that off with a gloved hand.

Most of the pictures were before I treated the edges BTW. The one where it is laying on the plate carrier had the edges treated. BTW, I recently got into airsoft and did this for my loadout for that. In case you were wondering what kind of mags are on the carrier.

It came out pretty good. I'm happy for my first attempt.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP, use good quality material. Rockywoods has a presence on amazon if you want the ease of shopping there. Otherwise, hit up their site directly. they have good quality cordura.

Masked off the inner edges inside the holster and packed a bunch of paper towels inside, making sure there were no fuzzy edges sticking out the top or bottom.

At the last minute realized I needed a way to hold onto the holster to spray it.
Used a sharp awl wrapped in tape stuck into the tightly packed paper towels as a handle.

Pre cut a swatch of cordura that was bigger than I needed. Focusing on the camo pattern I wanted to be centered on the front.

Transferred the cordura to a work surface. Layed the holster onto it and started slowly working it into place.

Once wrapped, I used a brand new razor blade to trim the edges. Next time would add an exacto blade to my list of tools for the tight curves.

ETA: Forgot to mention. After trimming, I used a bic lighter to touch up all the edges.

Most of the pictures were before I treated the edges BTW. The one where it is laying on the plate carrier had the edges treated. BTW, I recently got into airsoft and did this for my loadout for that. In case you were wondering what kind of mags are on the carrier.

https://i.imgur.com/TCZGyh5.jpg
View Quote

@savagemann dude that looks phenomenal! Did you get any special cordura or just whatever?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@savagemann dude that looks phenomenal! Did you get any special cordura or just whatever?
View Quote

Thanks!
Just 500d cordura from the Rockywoods website.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks!
Just 500d cordura from the Rockywoods website.
View Quote

@savagemann sorry was on my phone and didn't go back up to re-read the beginning. Is this what you went with? https://www.rockywoods.com/500D-Cordura-Nylon-MC-Grey  
damn, shipping ain't cheap to the east coast :(
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Thought this stuff was a joke when I first got AR Mag Skins. They help differentiate the ammo in them by pattern.

Did an entire rifle which came out unreal, and the Gear Skins can adhere to anything with a little heat gun!

Even did my Comtac Ear Pro. Multicam wouldnt ever be on my list of desires - but this isnt my thread!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@savagemann sorry was on my phone and didn't go back up to re-read the beginning. Is this what you went with? https://www.rockywoods.com/500D-Cordura-Nylon-MC-Grey  
damn, shipping ain't cheap to the east coast :(
View Quote

I haven't used that specific version with the gray backing. I think th gray backing makes it a little stiffer.
I have some in DCU from them and it is quite stiff.
I use this from them regularly for other gear making and is what I used for my wrap.
https://www.rockywoods.com/500-Denier-Mil-Spec-Nylon-Camouflage-Fabric-MultiCam
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I haven't used that specific version with the gray backing. I think th gray backing makes it a little stiffer.
I have some in DCU from them and it is quite stiff.
I use this from them regularly for other gear making and is what I used for my wrap.
https://www.rockywoods.com/500-Denier-Mil-Spec-Nylon-Camouflage-Fabric-MultiCam
View Quote

@savagemann thank you for that. What other stuff have you wrapped? the work is cool and I'm thinking that if I'm going to go this route I may want to go more hardcore with it and wrap a bunch of my stuff sitting around. You guys are dragging me into the modern age despite my repeated attempts to avoid it...
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@savagemann thank you for that. What other stuff have you wrapped? the work is cool and I'm thinking that if I'm going to go this route I may want to go more hardcore with it and wrap a bunch of my stuff sitting around. You guys are dragging me into the modern age despite my repeated attempts to avoid it...
View Quote

This holster is the first thing I've ever wrapped.
I usually use cordura for sewing gear.
Yesterday, after
posting here, I wrapped a blade tech mag pouch for my belt.
I now what to wrap everything!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This holster is the first thing I've ever wrapped.
I usually use cordura for sewing gear.
Yesterday, after
posting here, I wrapped a blade tech mag pouch for my belt.
I now what to wrap everything!
View Quote

DUDE!  That looks fantastic!.. Wish i had seen that before i did mine lol
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

DUDE!  That looks fantastic!.. Wish i had seen that before i did mine lol
View Quote

Thanks!
Here is the mag pouch I did yesterday. Came out pretty good too.
Again, I was a little hasty with the trimming, bit it works for me. The bottom edge is a little rough.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/TCZGyh5.jpg
View Quote

That is clean as all hell.

I'd pay you to wrap my holsters.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey, thanks!!
I'd like to wrap stuff for people at some point,  but should probably do another 20 or 30 of my own first. ??
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Hey, thanks!!
I'd like to wrap stuff for people at some point,  but should probably do another 20 or 30 of my own first. ??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, thanks!!

If you want to practice, I have a couple 6360RDSs. I'd pay for the service and all the materials.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:02:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Maybe in the future.
Making slings has become a full time job, on top of my full time job.
??
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#26]
How about camo tape? Cheaper, more opportunities to be random and this says it doesn't leave residue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BN2WLF1?tag=arfcom00-20

Edit- the reviews are bleh, maybe a different brand of gaffer tape
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry, lousy Internet!
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#28]
That's nice clean work, Savageman.  If it's lower NIR signature you're after, this is definitely a very good option.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's nice clean work, Savageman.  If it's lower NIR signature you're after, this is definitely a very good option.
View Quote

Thank you sir! NIR is not of my utmost concern, but is something I think about for sure.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#30]
well yesterday I hit up 5 different area stores for camo fabric. No dice. Said F it and went to the army surplus store to buy camo duct tape and guess who had nice fabric, in stock, $8 a yard

going to grab some spray adhesive, a strong drink, and try my hand at tactical arts and crafts this weekend
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I wrapped mine...it was a giant pain tbh, but it looks cool.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Did some practice holsters today, and sober. Honestly not terrible! I couldn’t get the screws out for the Light holster so I just decided to go over top since it was practice anyway. Only real fold was the hard corner and now it’s hard to type cause my hands are still sticky despite washing them 2x already.

I didn’t super glue the edges yet but will later. Attachment Attached File
materials

In progress
Attachment Attached File

Pretty much finished! Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Mostly dry and the hairs burned away Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Those look great. What sort of spray adhesive did you use?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Those look great. What sort of spray adhesive did you use?
View Quote

I used the 3m 77 spray mentioned in the thread. $12 at Home Depot. That shit is sticky as hell I tell you what, took sandpaper to my fingers to get them clean
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Is the adhesive reflective with IR through the adhered fabric?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is the adhesive reflective with IR through the adhered fabric?
View Quote

Not sure. I’ll check later
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Looks good!
Over the next few days, keep mushing the fabric into all the nooks and crannies. It took a few days for me to get everything to settle in.
I also recommend gloves for the adhesive. That stuff is brutal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Gave it a go for my first time as well today.  Came out pretty good, better than I expected.  Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/nCRT9rv/29338-F46-EC4-B-4238-9-C31-58-EA80-CC87-DE.jpg

Gave it a go for my first time as well today.  Came out pretty good, better than I expected.  Thanks for the tips.
View Quote

Looks great!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top