Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 3/30/2021 9:32:37 AM EDT
I tired the search and for some reason nothing came up. I was looking at what your guys suggestions are on the best full size multi tool. I have smaller ones like the Leatherman Rev but am looking for something bigger. It would just be for everyday normal use. Brand don't really matter as long as its quality. Would like to stay below $100.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#1]
What features are most important to you?

I know some of the heavier duty multitools are offering replaceable cutters, that's a good thing if you're using them a ton for that.  

I honestly don't care much about the knife blade since I always carry a pocket folder, but I actually don't mind a serrated edge on a multitool.

Do you need locking pliers?  Not many options, especially for under $100 (best IMHO is the Leatherman Crunch).

I like a good file, scissors, and a wood saw.  My favorite "big" multitool that would fit you budget is the Leatherman Surge:

The T-shank tool that allows you to swamp various T-shank blades is brilliant.  This is my serious "bushcraft" multitool kit.  The Surge also has some of the best scissors I've seen on a multitool if that's an important tool for your.

Leatherman's 300 is a more traditional option and very heavy duty; right at the $100 mark as well.

While just over your budget, the Swiss Tool is a beast and extremely good QA/QC.  I really like the tools on this one.

I have a SOG PowerAccess, and while I like the layout, I'm a little uncertain as to how robust it is.  No issues, but it just seem to the same level of Leatherman and Victorinox.

Gerber is an option but I can't recall using one recently...for one-hand opening it's a nice option.

I have been using a Leatherman FREE recently and it's growing on me...not huge, but it's pretty decent and about the size of a Wave.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Leatherman Crunch, used it hard every day at one of the textile mills I worked at.

Had a problem with it and Leatherman replaced it with no hassle. Still have it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What features are most important to you?

I know some of the heavier duty multitools are offering replaceable cutters, that's a good thing if you're using them a ton for that.

I honestly don't care much about the knife blade since I always carry a pocket folder, but I actually don't mind a serrated edge on a multitool.

Do you need locking pliers?  Not many options, especially for under $100 (best IMHO is the Leatherman Crunch).

I like a good file, scissors, and a wood saw.  My favorite "big" multitool that would fit you budget is the Leatherman Surge:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/.highres/Alone%20EDC%202_zpsigkulbxb.jpg

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/.highres/Surge%20Kit_zps7u4ws5sh.jpg

The T-shank tool that allows you to swamp various T-shank blades is brilliant.  This is my serious "bushcraft" multitool kit.  The Surge also has some of the best scissors I've seen on a multitool if that's an important tool for your.

Leatherman's 300 is a more traditional option and very heavy duty; right at the $100 mark as well.

While just over your budget, the Swiss Tool is a beast and extremely good QA/QC.  I really like the tools on this one.

I have a SOG PowerAccess, and while I like the layout, I'm a little uncertain as to how robust it is.  No issues, but it just seem to the same level of Leatherman and Victorinox.

Gerber is an option but I can't recall using one recently...for one-hand opening it's a nice option.

I have been using a Leatherman FREE recently and it's growing on me...not huge, but it's pretty decent and about the size of a Wave.

ROCK6
View Quote
I have that sharpener, excellent field tool.  I found a rusty and broken leatherman and sent it in.  Got a brand new one.  Free tool is best tool.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Always got pinched using Gerbers. Always went with Leathermans.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I have replaced all my Gerber and Leatherman's with Victorinox Spirit X.  Great tool.  The are right at $100.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm on the other side of the fence. . .I much prefer the Gerbers.  Very easy to open one-handed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the Gerber 600 series. 25 year warranty and Gerber has never failed to replace a broken one.  I used to use Leatherman but they over polish some of the tools which causes slipping.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote

What is that fixed blade on the far right, first photo?  
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 5:02:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Leatherman Wave.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is that fixed blade on the far right, first photo?  
View Quote

@HarryStone

I have a few models from EMK; I think that one was his Firecat model.

Ed Martin does some really nice "bushcraft-survival" knives.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#12]
New "surplus " Gerber 600's can be found on eBay under $35 and are hard to beat. Nothing else even comes close for the money.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Leatherman Wave or Surge.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#14]
SOG EOD
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:57:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I gotta give it to Leatherman! I've been carrying one Leatherman, or another for 24 years. I've used them daily, living on a ranch. The only one that broke was a black one I bought, all the stainless ones held up. Really weird but small thinks like the flat head screw driver broke several times. They send me a brand new tool.

I recently bought 3 different SOG tools. I really like them, but can't speak to their durability. I actually carry one SOG and one Leatherman on my belt every day.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 6:12:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I've never taken out my Leatherman Wave+ and thought to myself, I wish this was bigger.

Both Knives and the pliers are one hand operable. You don't need any of the other stuff to be one hand open. I use the screw drivers on this all the time. The addition of a micro phillips and flat head are not commonly found on any other multi tools and they are life savers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Double Damn Post...
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#18]
More recently for work, I'm restricted by blade-size which makes a full-size tool problematic.  I've been really impressed with SOG's little PowerPint tool.  I don't think it's as robust as the larger tools, but for light work, it's extremely handy and quite compact.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I've owned a few different brands that I can't remember the names of anymore for good reason.  I only own Leatherman brand anymore.  Currently I have 2 Waves and a Rebar IIRC.  You can't go wrong with Leatherman....buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Rotate a Leatherman Wave, OHT and Surge depending on the work in doing.
All the are excellent. One handed pliers is a big plus for the OHT, while the surge is a big bad mofo for heavier stuff.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#21]
@ROCK6

What is the brand of pouch you have for your Leatherman?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#22]
@ROCK6

Could you also give us the run down on your assortment of blades? Choices and uses?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@sigking

Skinth Solutions

These are semi-custom jobs.  Not sure if they'll do other modifications, but the standard offerings are pretty versatile for a belt pouch.

Quoted:
Could you also give us the run down on your assortment of blades? Choices and uses?

Thanks

The Standard diamond file is awesome and the wood saw works just fine.  I really wanted a hack-saw blade for PVC, sheet metal or light metal cutting.  It's really just an assortment to see what works.  Many of the narrow T-shank wood saw blades are pretty decent for doing more complicated cutouts for things like a Figure-4 trap, or sawing a cross section in a round, long handle fish spear (for the bladed insert), etc.  

For the kit, I would just want the standard wood saw blade and file; plus add a couple extra wood saw blades and a couple hacksaw blades.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#24]
@ROCK6

Thanks, just want I've been looking for!
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top