Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 9:22:21 PM EDT
My big question is what forms do I need to submit to the ATF for traveling with two SBRs?

And I purchased suppressors as well and waiting for them to be approved, how does one go about getting their suppressors once they're approved if I move to another state?

Can I bring nightvision devices through the airport or will I need to ship that to myself too?

Reasoning: Palace Chase/Air Force stuffs
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
5320.20 is mandatory for the SBRs and recommended for suppressors.

NODs you can travel with but be mindful that you’re underinsured off they are in checked baggage.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My big question is what forms do I need to submit to the ATF for traveling with two SBRs?

And I purchased suppressors as well and waiting for them to be approved, how does one go about getting their suppressors once they're approved if I move to another state?
View Quote

5320.20 for the SBRs. No requirement for suppressors.

Either you cancel the form 4 and have the cans moved on a form 3 to a dealer in the new state, or you provide a copy of your orders to the ATF and ask for an expedite.

Can I bring nightvision devices through the airport or will I need to ship that to myself too?

Reasoning: Palace Chase/Air Force stuffs
View Quote

You can, use a hard case. I'd hand-carry those.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
5320.20 for the stuff you have

Contact the NFA branch and explain your situation and ask for expedite

Hand Carry NODs
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]
To echo what others have said, carry the nods.  I know a guy who had a nice unit in a pelican case in a checked bag... Nothing but an empty case at the destination.  Someone along the way swiped them and there was zero recourse.  Simply gone. Poof.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for the useful information! That helps so much! I do have another question, with the Form 4's can I not just transfer them to the next state AFTER they get approved?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

5320.20 for the SBRs. No requirement for suppressors.

Either you cancel the form 4 and have the cans moved on a form 3 to a dealer in the new state, or you provide a copy of your orders to the ATF and ask for an expedite.

You can, use a hard case. I'd hand-carry those.
View Quote

Ok I will, disregard my first reply then on the suppressor/F4 stuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
5320.20 is mandatory for the SBRs and recommended for suppressors.

NODs you can travel with but be mindful that you’re underinsured off they are in checked baggage.
View Quote

with the 5320.20, can I use the form through my LGS and do an FFL to FFL to my next state of residency after the form gets approved?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]
No, you just file the 5320.20 and carry the SBRs yourself. That form is to notify the ATF that you're moving and need to transport them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

with the 5320.20, can I use the form through my LGS and do an FFL to FFL to my next state of residency after the form gets approved?
View Quote

If it gets approved, that’ll be an additional $200 plus another wait. Just call the ATF and ask for an expedite because of your orders. If you refuse to call the ATF (I don’t understand why you won’t call).
1. Find a NFA dealer in the new state.
2. You’ll need to cancel the pending form 4.
3. Get the original dealer to form 3 it to the new dealer.
4. Pay new dealer a possible transfer fee and resubmit the form 4.

Save yourself time and money and make the dang call.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
You can help insure your guns make it by buying the additional insurance the offer at the counter.  The coverage you have a plane ticket is barely enough to cover magazines let alone anything important.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can help insure your guns make it by buying the additional insurance the offer at the counter.  The coverage you have a plane ticket is barely enough to cover magazines let alone anything important.
View Quote

Who would you recommend for insurance?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Who would you recommend for insurance?
View Quote

There are a couple options that you can look into. I use Collectibles Insurance Services for my firearms. Better premiums than the NRA policies and they cover a lot of scenarios.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There are a couple options that you can look into. I use Collectibles Insurance Services for my firearms. Better premiums than the NRA policies and they cover a lot of scenarios.
View Quote

Thank you for this I chose this as an option! I haven't received word yet from AFPC if my voluntary separation has went through yet, so I'm just waiting rn cause it's up there at base level, but my month I chose to get out is July of this year so I'll be filing for the form to travel with my NFA items around April or May. I did get both my suppressors back in time though and was happy receiving both of those. I went with two multical cans, one rated for 9mm to 300WM (excluding pistol calibers from 10mm to 45cal) and another from 22LR to .46 cal rifles.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If it gets approved, that’ll be an additional $200 plus another wait. Just call the ATF and ask for an expedite because of your orders. If you refuse to call the ATF (I don’t understand why you won’t call).
1. Find a NFA dealer in the new state.
2. You’ll need to cancel the pending form 4.
3. Get the original dealer to form 3 it to the new dealer.
4. Pay new dealer a possible transfer fee and resubmit the form 4.

Save yourself time and money and make the dang call.
View Quote

Thanks bud but luckily I got both cans back in a timely manner in February lol. I'm still waiting to see where my voluntary separation/going Air Natty Guard is going til it's time to leave active duty. I chose July as my month to bounce out, once it gets approved IF IT DOES, then I'll file the forms to travel with my NFA/SBRs around April or May.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I just got a call from the ATF today about my expedited form 5320.20 that I forgot my address in field 1. The lady gave me her direct email and told me to email it back to her directly and she can get it approved.

I submitted it Friday so a 3 day turnaround.

I mentioned that I would like it expedited in my email to the ATF and it looks like that helped as she mentioned that I needed it expedited.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:03:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just got a call from the ATF today about my expedited form 5320.20 that I forgot my address in field 1. The lady gave me her direct email and told me to email it back to her directly and she can get it approved.

I submitted it Friday so a 3 day turnaround.

I mentioned that I would like it expedited in my email to the ATF and it looks like that helped as she mentioned that I needed it expedited.
View Quote

Congrats bud! But I gotta wait to see if my Palace Chase papers are approved, if they are then I’m immediately starting on the process of traveling with my NFA items, if not I gotta wait til next year when I’m officially out the military.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Congrats bud! But I gotta wait to see if my Palace Chase papers are approved, if they are then I’m immediately starting on the process of traveling with my NFA items, if not I gotta wait til next year when I’m officially out the military.
View Quote

Update... My voluntary separation did not get approved so... I still have a year in service lol.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Care to elaborate on a voluntary separation? Are you an officer without a contract or over your 20?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 1:37:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Care to elaborate on a voluntary separation? Are you an officer without a contract or over your 20?
View Quote

The Air Force released a matrix TLDR, saying, those who are in enlisted or officer may voluntary separate or palace chase (from active duty to reserves or guard). Basically we are overmanned and there were numbers for each AFSC (MOS for Army equivalents) stating that they need numbers out the military with numbers for each job and grade/rank. Sadly I got denied because my rank was not on the listing but the paper was highly encouraging those who are not on the list to still “TRY” to apply.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
To echo what others have said, carry the nods.  I know a guy who had a nice unit in a pelican case in a checked bag... Nothing but an empty case at the destination.  Someone along the way swiped them and there was zero recourse.  Simply gone. Poof.
View Quote

Depending on start and end of journey locations, something like a single shot shotgun action or a Jennings or Raven auto would allow the use of a real locked case with a real proper lock that the TSA doesn't have access to and by law cannot have access to.   It may also improve response if the luggage is lost if you ask if you should contact the ATF or if they will be doing so....

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Air Force released a matrix TLDR, saying, those who are in enlisted or officer may voluntary separate or palace chase (from active duty to reserves or guard). Basically we are overmanned and there were numbers for each AFSC (MOS for Army equivalents) stating that they need numbers out the military with numbers for each job and grade/rank. Sadly I got denied because my rank was not on the listing but the paper was highly encouraging those who are not on the list to still “TRY” to apply.
View Quote

Interesting, thanks for the info. I hadn't realized that the military got to that point again. In the army it seems we can't keep anyone around. I feel like I don't know hardly anyone from 10 years ago to now. And that's in the guard where we don't PCS
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#22]
You can travel with NODS in your carry-on baggage. Remove the batteries (which should be done regardless) and I'd look on TSA's website, as well as your individual airline's website, to see what their individual regulations are and print them out in case you get an ignorant check-in counter person.

I know Southwest is good because I flew out to Vegas to do some shooting with a friend of mine back in December and took my body armor (PC + helmet) in my carry-on baggage, as well as my SBR, two pistols, well over the 11 pound limit of ammo, etc. in checked baggage. I had asked SWA about the night vision being in carry-on because I sure as hell was not packing that into checked baggage to get damaged or stolen en route, but I ended up not receiving them from the builder before I left for my trip.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can travel with NODS in your carry-on baggage. Remove the batteries (which should be done regardless) and I'd look on TSA's website, as well as your individual airline's website, to see what their individual regulations are and print them out in case you get an ignorant check-in counter person.

I know Southwest is good because I flew out to Vegas to do some shooting with a friend of mine back in December and took my body armor (PC + helmet) in my carry-on baggage, as well as my SBR, two pistols, well over the 11 pound limit of ammo, etc. in checked baggage. I had asked SWA about the night vision being in carry-on because I sure as hell was not packing that into checked baggage to get damaged or stolen en route, but I ended up not receiving them from the builder before I left for my trip.
View Quote

I'd ask TSA way before I ask an airline. Airlines don't scan bags...

Either way, NODs should be fine
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'd ask TSA way before I ask an airline. Airlines don't scan bags...

Either way, NODs should be fine
View Quote

TSA’s website said it was fine, the airline did not - that’s the only reason I had to clarify with them that NODs were allowed as carry-on luggage.

Airline also has final say in whether they allow it on their plane or not, even if it has TSA approval.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Interesting, thanks for the info. I hadn't realized that the military got to that point again. In the army it seems we can't keep anyone around. I feel like I don't know hardly anyone from 10 years ago to now. And that's in the guard where we don't PCS
View Quote

No problem, it’s sad that I have to stay, I’m just very unhappy with the job and just wanna focus on school, asides from that, my friends still make it a pleasant time even though I got one year left in Active Duty. And yeah it’s similar to the Army, we’re also like how you guys are with people that’re unhappy and manning numbers being overmanned, asides from that I’m still gonna try and see if I can do a regular palace chase vs the matrix release one. Rn most people are a bit worried that there’s gonna be an involuntary separation again like what happened in 2014-2016 time frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top