Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2019 3:58:16 PM EDT
Hi folks, I'm going to be moving out of state in a month. I want to file ATF form 20's so that I can cross state lines when the time comes.

I believe I have heard it is okay to put the "date range" as a full year. Is this correct?

Also, as far as transport location, I don't have any addresses in mind. Should I just list a hotel or something of that nature?

As far as reason for the request, would vacation be sufficient or should I put something else?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi folks, I'm going to be moving out of state in a month. I want to file ATF form 20's so that I can cross state lines when the time comes.

I believe I have heard it is okay to put the "date range" as a full year. Is this correct?
Yes, up to one year and not a day more.  So say 1/1/2019 to 12/31/19 would be good.  1/1/19 to 1/1/20 would be kicked back.

Also, as far as transport location, I don't have any addresses in mind. Should I just list a hotel or something of that nature?
Any location is fine but it must be some address.  If I don't have a known address for sure, I usually find a shooting range in the state near where I might go and just use that.

As far as reason for the request, would vacation be sufficient or should I put something else?
You said you are moving, if its a permanent move of residence, put that as the reason and indicate the check box for permanent move.  If this is a temporary move and you plan to return to the current registered location, check the temporary move box and for reason give something valid.  As above, if nothing specific, I put "to visit a shooting range".  I have also used "hunting trip" or "visiting friend/relative" when that is the case.  I do believe people used to put "any lawful purpose" here in the past, but they stopped accepting that if I recall correctly.

Thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Was coming here to ask the same question. OP not to high jack the tread, but to add to your question.

Does anyone have any experience with the turn around time on this form ?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was coming here to ask the same question. OP not to high jack the tread, but to add to your question.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
I emailed mine June 17th and have not received them back.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
about thirty days

from my recent experiences

@MarfFL
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
I last sent some in by email back in April.  Took 25 days to get back in the mail.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
You can fax in a copy and it will speed up the process.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Got it today, so 14 days from email to receipt.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the responses.

Now just need to get to work.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this necessary for cans too?

Den for a visit to Oklahoma from Texas?

Thanks

Txl
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is this necessary for cans too?

Den for a visit to Oklahoma from Texas?

Thanks

Txl
View Quote
Suppressors and AOWs do NOT require ATF notification to cross state lines.  You can send in the form for them, and it'll be approved, but it's not legally required.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys.

Txl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top