Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2018 9:45:20 PM EDT
It seems to me All it would take to move the powder station from 2 to 3 would be a artfully sculpted length of all thread.  Am I missing something. This would be for precision type 223 and semi precise 308.

Station 1 decap, prime, and full length resize in floating die
Station 2 sinclair expander mandrel for neck
station 3 powder.  place bullet with left hand after pull
Station 4 seat bullet in converted floating station.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no reason you can't use the powder drop as is in station 3 as long as you mind the resetting of the powder bar.

I'm just not sure what you think you are gaining. If you think the expander mandrel is worth going to such extreme ends, then you certainly wouldn't be using a dillon powder drop in your search for perfect consistency. In that case get an adapter for standard PMs and stick a Redding in whatever station you want. Rifle prep is best done in two passes anyway, so expand on a different toolhead or in station 1 of the second pass if the dillon drop isn't good enough.

You can probably use an RCBS case activated linkage kit too, never tried it personally though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#2]
rifle calibers are usually a two pass effort.  Can use the Dillon to resize or a single stage press like I do, then you need to trim the brass.  Then you can finish off the round with the 550B
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
rifle calibers are usually a two pass effort.  Can use the Dillon to resize or a single stage press like I do, then you need to trim the brass.  Then you can finish off the round with the 550B
View Quote
This !  I want the case lube removed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...  Am I missing something? This would be for precision type 223 and semi precise 308.

Station 1 decap, prime, and full length resize in floating die Redding Type S FL sizing die
Station 2 sinclair expander mandrel for neck powder
Station 3 place bullet with left hand after pull seat bullet using Redding Competition bullet seater
Station 4 seat bullet in converted floating station empty

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
rifle calibers are usually a two pass effort
View Quote
This is how I do it, the way I was taught/teach and the way I see it done most. You can also eliminate the rod entirely, I used to have a saved page with direction though it seems it is no longer available, Google "Dillon powder measure retrograde" to find out how
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Rifle Brass should be a two pass set up.  The way I run it is Deprime (hand tool) > clean> lube> size on press > clean off lube (trim if need be, my match ammo gets trimmed every time) > Prime (again hand tool) > then finally one more pass for powder and bullets. I don't use the on press powder system, I ordered a Hornady press mounted Funnel kit and drop powder via a pan and chargemaster. I have found fast production and accurate ammo do not mix well.

Scott
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is my Dillon 550 223 set up

Two passes through

1st pass with lubed case

Station 1 up stroke size deprime

Station 1 down stoke swage with swageit

Station 2 pause on upstroke to trim chamfer and debur with lee quick trim delux power trimmer

Station 3 empty
Station 4 empty

2nd pass after lube off

Station 1 up stroke empty

Station 1 down stroke prime

Station 2 charge

Station 3 seat

Station 4 crimp with lee Collet crimper
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I load all my long range precision bolt gun ammo on a 550.  Calibers from 17 Mach IV up to and including 338 Lapua.

Station 1 FL or neck size and prime.  Bushing dies control the amount of neck tension.

Station 2 throw powder that comes out of a Prometheus measure.

Station 3 seat bullet with Redding or Forster micrometer die.

Station 4 body die for semi-auto ammo, empty for bolt gun ammo.

Wipe off lube and shoot.  The above ammo will hold 1/2 MOA elevation out past 1,000 and I can hit a stop sign sized targets from 1,200 - 2,200 yards.

Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
pictures like the one above make me sick. I HATE that I can't keep things that neat, clean, and organized.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top