Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
10/30/2020 2:42:12 PM
Posted: 11/17/2020 6:51:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/17/2020 7:25:35 PM EST by Sogan]
Just pick up a new TW Ballistic SL helmet (Hillary, I know). There is quite a bit of play when the G24 is mounted into the Wilcox shroud. The G24 moves slides/moves around a bit.

With the exact same G24 mount in my TW bump, which also has a Wilcox mount, there is absolutely zero movement.

I emailed TW but just wanted to make sure there isn’t an adjustment I’m not thinking of (besides not to buy TW)
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 6:54:19 PM EST
A few strips of electrical tape or a piece of velcro will remove all the play
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 6:58:03 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MunnyShot:
A few strips of electrical tape or a piece of velcro will remove all the play
View Quote

multiple people have said this. is there a picture or video out there showing/explaining exactly how this is done?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:08:23 PM EST
Just stick the tape on the flat surface of the shroud. Think of it as a shim if that helps. In my experience most movement is found on or near the bottom, so that’s where I would start
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:12:59 PM EST
Really feel like you shouldn’t have to use electrical tape on a Wilcox shroud. They sure arnt cheap.

Are you putting the Velcro where the red is?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:59:44 PM EST
No, that appears to be the helmet. The lip of the shroud just below the red is the money shot. That will be on the bearing surface. I agree with you, there should be no wobble in mounts and shrouds that cost that much.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:06:40 PM EST
Check out this video my Kinetic Consulting regarding NVD mount rattle.  He goes over where he puts tape to shim it tight.

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:31:11 PM EST
Nice vid. He also mentions using bungees and that’s another common wobble eliminator
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 2:30:23 AM EST
Electrical tape to shim
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:28:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By itzjere:
Check out this video my Kinetic Consulting regarding NVD mount rattle.  He goes over where he puts tape to shim it tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLxHmVeSMmE
View Quote

That video was very helpful. Still drives me nuts that I need to use tape as a shim on a Wilcox mount with a Wilcox shroud
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:43:15 AM EST
Has anyone contact Wilcox about the issue? Wonder what they have to say about it
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:53:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By snackgunner:
Has anyone contact Wilcox about the issue? Wonder what they have to say about it
View Quote

I haven’t. But depending on the resolution with TW, I may. I’ll update with my progress
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:43:18 AM EST
You guys are spinning your wheels. "If" you bought them from a authorized dealer, you're going to end up shipping it to them, returned back weeks/month later just to you saying they're in spec or the other company is to blame. I get it 450.00 dollars for snug fit is not unreasonable but every manufacture will have their own spec and tolerance within a certain percentage.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:11:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:24:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By MunnyShot:
You guys are spinning your wheels. "If" you bought them from a authorized dealer, you're going to end up shipping it to them, returned back weeks/month later just to you saying they're in spec or the other company is to blame. I get it 450.00 dollars for snug fit is not unreasonable but every manufacture will have their own spec and tolerance within a certain percentage.
View Quote

Agreed on separate companies but this is a Wilcox mount and a Wilcox shroud.

Augee statement makes sense and without Wilcox having my exact G24 mount then they probably couldn’t tell me which shroud would be a tighter/more snug fit
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:57:42 PM EST
I just went through this exact issue last weekend when setting up my G24 mount on the exact same TW Ballistc SL helmet.

I first tried the electrical tape — not even close.

I then tried thicker 3M double-sided adhesive tape — again, not really close, as it took about 5 or 6 layers to finally make contact and start taking up the slack, but it felt like a total sloppy-ass hack job.

Finally I dug out some rubber feet that I'd ordered from Amazon a long time ago for something else, and 2 of the larger ones on the backside of the G24 snugged it up perfectly.

You can order them here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPFDQBH
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 7:50:58 PM EST
Having multiple units to mix and match together helps. Some fit like a glove, and some fit like a well used hooker on Friday night
Top Top