Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2020 7:51:02 PM EDT
Just pick up a new TW Ballistic SL helmet (Hillary, I know). There is quite a bit of play when the G24 is mounted into the Wilcox shroud. The G24 moves slides/moves around a bit.

With the exact same G24 mount in my TW bump, which also has a Wilcox mount, there is absolutely zero movement.

I emailed TW but just wanted to make sure there isn’t an adjustment I’m not thinking of (besides not to buy TW)
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
A few strips of electrical tape or a piece of velcro will remove all the play
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A few strips of electrical tape or a piece of velcro will remove all the play
View Quote

multiple people have said this. is there a picture or video out there showing/explaining exactly how this is done?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Just stick the tape on the flat surface of the shroud. Think of it as a shim if that helps. In my experience most movement is found on or near the bottom, so that’s where I would start
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Really feel like you shouldn’t have to use electrical tape on a Wilcox shroud. They sure arnt cheap.

Are you putting the Velcro where the red is?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#5]
No, that appears to be the helmet. The lip of the shroud just below the red is the money shot. That will be on the bearing surface. I agree with you, there should be no wobble in mounts and shrouds that cost that much.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out this video my Kinetic Consulting regarding NVD mount rattle.  He goes over where he puts tape to shim it tight.

Fixing Night Vision Mount Rattle
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice vid. He also mentions using bungees and that’s another common wobble eliminator
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 3:30:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Electrical tape to shim
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Check out this video my Kinetic Consulting regarding NVD mount rattle.  He goes over where he puts tape to shim it tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLxHmVeSMmE
View Quote

That video was very helpful. Still drives me nuts that I need to use tape as a shim on a Wilcox mount with a Wilcox shroud
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Has anyone contact Wilcox about the issue? Wonder what they have to say about it
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Has anyone contact Wilcox about the issue? Wonder what they have to say about it
View Quote

I haven’t. But depending on the resolution with TW, I may. I’ll update with my progress
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#12]
You guys are spinning your wheels. "If" you bought them from a authorized dealer, you're going to end up shipping it to them, returned back weeks/month later just to you saying they're in spec or the other company is to blame. I get it 450.00 dollars for snug fit is not unreasonable but every manufacture will have their own spec and tolerance within a certain percentage.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You guys are spinning your wheels. "If" you bought them from a authorized dealer, you're going to end up shipping it to them, returned back weeks/month later just to you saying they're in spec or the other company is to blame. I get it 450.00 dollars for snug fit is not unreasonable but every manufacture will have their own spec and tolerance within a certain percentage.
View Quote

Agreed on separate companies but this is a Wilcox mount and a Wilcox shroud.

Augee statement makes sense and without Wilcox having my exact G24 mount then they probably couldn’t tell me which shroud would be a tighter/more snug fit
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I just went through this exact issue last weekend when setting up my G24 mount on the exact same TW Ballistc SL helmet.

I first tried the electrical tape — not even close.

I then tried thicker 3M double-sided adhesive tape — again, not really close, as it took about 5 or 6 layers to finally make contact and start taking up the slack, but it felt like a total sloppy-ass hack job.

Finally I dug out some rubber feet that I'd ordered from Amazon a long time ago for something else, and 2 of the larger ones on the backside of the G24 snugged it up perfectly.

You can order them here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPFDQBH
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Having multiple units to mix and match together helps. Some fit like a glove, and some fit like a well used hooker on Friday night
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Wilcox is looking into the issue. I have two G24 mounts and 3 TW SL helmets with the Wilcox SL shroud. All are loose. I’ll update once I hear something back but right now it sounds like the engineers are “looking into it”.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
A strip of female velcro, a couple of dabs of shoe goo or RTV silicone works wonders with getting rid of the play.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#19]
all my wilcox shrouds and g24s have play.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
all my wilcox shrouds and g24s have play.
View Quote

Sounds Like I’m lucky that my bump had a tight fit with my G24 Mount. Wilcox sounded like it was an issue they were certainly going to look into but they going have been pulling my leg
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe they could do batches like NV tubes, and separate out the tighter fitting shit for guys that want that, and leave the looser fitting shit for guys that need the backwards-fit capability.  In this case the civvy spec would be tighter than the mil-spec.  Of course there'd be an up-charge.  

Or maybe just shim it.  And use the bungees.  

I'm impressed they are even talking to you, much less giving you a coherent answer.  Even if this was just a polite fuck off, at least they were nice.  

I love Wilcox goodness but yeah there is rattle in it sometimes, which would appear to be bullshit for the prices they get, but I can understand why.  But don't have to like it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#22]
All I can think of is “what if my scope rings had those kind of tolerances”.  For something that is that expensive for what it is, it should match up when it’s from the same brand.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I had the same issue with my SL.  Once i set up some tight bungess to hold the nods in place everything was fine.  There is a noticeable difference in the shroud of the SL and that of the exfil bump.  The bump was very snug compared to the SL shroud. The SL has the new "redesigned" lightweight shroud.  I agree with you the wobble was somewhat disappointing.   Aside from the shroud (which is technically a wilcox) i couldnt believe how light the helmet was.  There was no noticeable difference between the SL and the Bump for me.

Here's a few pictures, you can see the difference in amount of material where the g24 locks up on the bottom of the shroud.

If its really an issue, im sure you can purchase the insert to the bump shroud from TW.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah fuckit just throw more money at it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a "normal" Exfil and get a nice snug fit with both my Rhino II (preferred work mount) and my L4G24, which usually sits on my FAST which has a Wilcox shroud of its own.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a "normal" Exfil and get a nice snug fit with both my Rhino II (preferred work mount) and my L4G24, which usually sits on my FAST which has a Wilcox shroud of its own.
View Quote

Yea, im pretty sure this is the issue:

" A new SL Shroud* from Wilcox® provides a 35% reduction in weight from the previous Wilcox® W Shroud while maintaining full NVG mounting capabilities and lanyard compatibility. "
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#27]
My problem is that:
-These items are from the same company
-These items are not cheap

Team Wendy told me they will trade out my SL shroud for the old style but that sort of defeats the purpose of the SL. I know 35% weight reduction in a lightweight shroud probably isn't anything but a few ounces but id like it to all match and more importantly id like a product to work as advertised. I cant even use the bungees because I have a KNUCKL that takes up the bungie spot. I never had to run bungees before and shouldn't have to for a helmet that is $1,000 more expense than my last bump.

Maybe I need to forward this thread to them. I made sure they knew there is multiple accounts of issues online and its quite disappointing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top