Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2018 5:00:27 PM EDT
Currently have a superior safe regal rs-35? It's about 60x37x26 and has gotten a little cramped. It's at my parents house so I could still try to sell it later if they don't want it.

Local dealer has an amsec bf7240 for $4199 plus tax.

The bf is a better safe than what I have but if I'm going to upgrade should I go even higher? I feel like my collection has gotten to the point that I really should have a solid safe. Should I fo?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are moving and if the current safe is already too small it would seem the answer is clear.  Get a larger new safe.  I wouldn't expect it to be easy to sell the old one so I would not factor any resale into the deal unless the dealer will take that one in trade and pick it up.

I just went through this and my safe is fine for my needs and there is a local guy who can move it simply so I'm keeping mine.

Good luck with your move.

(My back is killing me moving ammo)

Edit to add - if you do buy new assume what meets your needs today is about 30% too small.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
A spare safe is always nice, mags, 10-22's, old shotguns.

The new safe is a nice safe, does the new safe meet the new RSC higher ratings?

RSC Revised

Price is getting into TL territory.

ETA Newer model
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If you need me to help move it, I always vote to leave it and buy a new one
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Everyone needs 2 safes. I got a collection safe and an upstairs safe for papers and frequently used guns.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can justify a new safe get yourself a new safe.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I always thought the bf series had a better security rating than they do but the price they quoted me seems like a screaming deal.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#7]
A Superior Regal is an ok gun safe but it's no BF.

I bought a Superior Master 40, but am considering asking the dealership if I can pay the difference and step up to Superior's Supreme when I go to pick it up. I only want to do this once and get the best gun safe I can afford.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have a large collection I would get two safes. One for long term storage or rifles you rarely use. You can put them in protective clothe sleeves and name them in as tight as possible.

The other safe can be for firearms you use on a more frequent basis or one you like to keep loaded.

FWIW I intentionally bought a small safe because I value quality of quantity and it makes me really consider buying another firearm due to space limitation. If I had a massive safe I would just be buying random mil surplus rifles to fill it up.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#9]
There's not much I don't use.  Honestly it's probably $50-60k with guns, optics, nv/thermal and nfa stuff.

I probably should step up to a bf2 or Superior untouchable.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's not much I don't use.  Honestly it's probably $50-60k with guns, optics, nv/thermal and nfa stuff.

View Quote
That's a lot to put behind just 1/2" of steel door and less on the body. I would look at a safe that has more steel in the body.

$60K worth of stuff and space for more, it would really be nice to know it's truly safe. I'd look for 1/2'' plate steel walls at least, not "2 inch overall wall thickness" where it's thin steel and drywall in the middle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I would leave your current safe where it is as a backup. Stick Ar15, pistol, mags and bunch of ammo in it for emergencies. Buy new safe for new home.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#12]
New home? Walk in vault.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
New home? Walk in vault.
View Quote
With a stout safe inside it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's a lot to put behind just 1/2" of steel door and less on the body. I would look at a safe that has more steel in the body.

$60K worth of stuff and space for more, it would really be nice to know it's truly safe. I'd look for 1/2'' plate steel walls at least, not "2 inch overall wall thickness" where it's thin steel and drywall in the middle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d politely disagree with the statement of thicker steel being truly safe. With the metal blades that are made for even circular saws nowadays, you can rip right through 3/4” steel- no plasma cutter needed.

I’d say thicker steel or a more secure safe would buy you some more time- whether it’s 5 minutes or 15 minutes. Time and success depends on the skills of the person and their tools available to them.

I’d make sure you have multi-leveled security- security system, cameras with cloud based storage, etc.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#15]
After moving these motherfuckers, I will never move another safe ever again.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Better to have 2 safes then one, 3 better yet. Leave the moving to the pro's.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Just bought a Liberty Franklin from a friend that was moving and didn't want to hassle with the safe.

I saved a bunch of money and he's going the 'buy new' route. Win win.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top