Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2020 2:53:28 PM EDT
I have a Aero Precision ultra light mount and a Leupold Mark AR Mod-1 3x9x40 I am planning to mount on a PSA Magpul mid length upper.

On the mount, Aero Precision says "Screw Torque - 15 in-lbs" on their website. Is that for both the ring screws and the base screws?

Is there a recommended slot position on the upper to locate the the mount for this scope?

I have a FAT wrench, but that's about it.  I plan to level the rifle best I can in my MTM portable rifle maintenance center and then mount the scope and level it best I can.

Hope I don't mess it up too bad.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I just mounted this exact mount yesterday.

I placed a level on my granite counter top to see if it was level (it was).

I loosely assembled the scope in the rings, set it upright on the counter, and set a 6 inch level on top of the adjustment knob cap ( a bubble level is best, but I used what I had).

Slowly tightened everything up.

I need to loctite the screws, but it will do for now.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
15in/lb is just for the ring screws. I would take the main mounting screws to at least 30in/lb.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on your stock position, where you usually put your face and the scopes eye relief.

I mount the scope to the rifle and the rings just tight enough to hold the scope and then I shoulder the rifle and make slight adjustments until the scope is in the right place. Once I get it straight by eye sight, I put a bubble level on the scope mount and one on the top of the turret of the scope. Then tighten it down with the fat wrench. I do 15in lbs on the rings and 25 on the base. It’s been solid for me.

Attachment Attached File

Edit aero says 25-30in lbs for the base.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on your stock position, where you usually put your face and the scopes eye relief.

I mount the scope to the rifle and the rings just tight enough to hold the scope and then I shoulder the rifle and make slight adjustments until the scope is in the right place. Once I get it straight by eye sight, I put a bubble level on the scope mount and one on the top of the turret of the scope. Then tighten it down with the fat wrench. I do 15in lbs on the rings and 25 on the base. It's been solid for me.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163367/139C5CBE-EC1E-4D2D-BD5C-B4F6D3B650CF_jpe-1403079.JPG

Edit aero says 25-30in lbs for the base.
View Quote
That seems really light on the base torque, but if it's what they recommend then so be it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all!  Will be mounting up tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top