Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2022 5:10:45 PM EDT
I looking to get a electric motor to jerry rig so I can put my RCBS or Hornady primmer pocket reamers on a shaft to do the reaming instead of on my RCBS station.

It just doesn't spin fast enough, and takes several tries to get them reamed so a gage with go into the pocket.

I put the RCBS in a cordless drill and it took a couple of seconds so it got me thinking of setting up some kind of a motorized option. Most case prep setups from just about all the mainstream venders just don't seen like they have enough RPM's to do the job quickly.

I don't want to use a cordless and have to constantly charge a battery. I want something stationary.

I don't like swager tools so that's not an option for me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Cord powered drill in a clamp set up?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Drill press.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I made several of these.  Uses a high torque 100 rpm 12volt motor.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

List of parts:

motor

blue coupler

The steel piece sticking up from blue coupler is a cut off cleaning rod end that was threaded.   In this picture a primer pocket cleaner is installed, but I also use a pocket cutter in same setup.  Can also use anything that screws into a standard cleaning rod.

power supply
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if a drill press will have enough RPM's?

I did think about clamping a corded drill.

I think I would prefer a mounted motor setup because it will be more clean and I could make something to catch all the shaved brass.

I was wondering if anyone has already done something like that?

I'm looking into it myself in the meanwhile, and if I put together anything I'll post here how I did it, but right now I will have to research on how I even go about hooking up a plug to go into an outlet with an on and off switch, and get a reducer or something for the shaft so I can clamp or screw a reamer into it.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yes this is what I was talking about!

But 100 RPM is nowhere is near enough as my are RCBS station is 360 – 550 RPM and it still takes quite a few seconds to ream pocket which is why I'm looking for something motorized with much higher RPMs.

What you did there is definitely what I'm looking for but with more RPM.

Thanks for posting those pics to get my gears turning. Problem is I know jack diddly squat about electricity and how to hook it up, but I'm sure I could YouTube it or Google it.

If I ever get this project off the ground and don't burn my house down I'll definitely post some pics of it here. Keep the ideas coming though everybody, and thank you very much
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But 100 RPM is nowhere is near enough as my are RCBS station is 360 – 550 RPM and it still takes quite a few seconds to ream pocket which is why I'm looking for something motorized with much higher RPMs.

Thanks for posting those pics to get my gears turning. Problem is I know jack diddly squat about electricity and how to hook it up, but I'm sure I could YouTube it or Google it.

If I ever get this project off the ground and don't burn my house down I'll definitely post some pics of it here. Keep the ideas coming though everybody, and thank you very much
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You can get high torque motors on amazon with any speed you want.  100 rpm is  a bit slow but it does a great job with the cleaning tip.  

For cutting you can get 500 - 1000 rpm.   I have several built with differing speed motors  

Hook up is very easy.  The motors have ears on back with holes.  Just put wires thru holes and solder.  Then connect to connector block using a small screwdriver.  The power supply plugs in the the connector block.  

Soldering pencils can be had cheap.

solder pen
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You can get high torque motors on amazon with any speed you want.  100 rpm is  a bit slow but it does a great job with the cleaning tip.  

For cutting you can get 500 - 1000 rpm.   I have several built with differing speed motors  

Hook up is very easy.  The motors have ears on back with holes.  Just put wires thru holes and solder.  Then connect to connector block using a small screwdriver.  The power supply plugs in the the connector block.  

solder pen
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

solder pen

Yes yes yes!!! This is what I imagined doing, I just didn't know what to look for. Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:15:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:14:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I dip a q-tip in WD40 to lube the primer pocket before uniforming because the case can get hard to hold. It also eliminates galling of the pocket walls.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:15:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#11]
If i make it to the shed today I might give that a whirl as well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Checking out these two options so far.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H88TYCN/?coliid=I1XBN18KTAW2WY&colid=W1TNCRDBBSWC&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I guess you can't use AC direct plugged into a wall outlet so I may be able to use this power supply?

Quote from guidelines in add for drill motor
?Attention:? 1.About the PWM, please do not connect AC power directly(Such as:110V AC),the input volt of this controller should be DC 9V-60V,otherwise it will be burned out
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00069RB1Q/?coliid=I25FVYPJRRHGM6&colid=W1TNCRDBBSWC&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have a quality cordless drill, you don't need to charge the battery very often.  That is all I use for primer pockets, and case neck reaming, and deburring.  I don't even have the milwaukee fuel of arfcom glorious tools, I just use an 18V Ridgid.

Right now you can get a Ryobi drill, charger, and two batteries for $99 at HomeyD.  There is a thread in GD about it right now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you have a quality cordless drill, you don't need to charge the battery very often.  That is all I use for primer pockets, and case neck reaming, and deburring.  I don't even have the milwaukee fuel of arfcom glorious tools, I just use an 18V Ridgid.  

Right now you can get a Ryobi drill, charger, and two batteries for $99 at HomeyD.  There is a thread in GD about it right now.
View Quote

Thank you, and I am aware of that option, used it before when I first go into reloading, but I'm looking for something stationary.

It's a great option though that just works!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a couple red wing lathe dental motors.
But it only has two speeds, top fast and waaay to fast.
Like 1600/3200.

I plan to use it for my Giraud trimmer but Im a little wary using it for the primer pocket stuff.

like this.  Great for polishing parts to mirrow finish.

https://www.scottsdental.com/red-wing-lathes.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thank you, and I am aware of that option, used it before when I first go into reloading, but I'm looking for something stationary.

It's a great option though that just works!
View Quote

I mount my Dewalt 20-volt 1/2-in Cordless Drill in my 4 1/2" Columbia bench vise (using rubber pads).  I use it for Chamfering, Deburring, but for removing crimped primers I use a CH4D Primer Pocket Crimp Swager Tool mounted to my press.  It is the least expensive swaging method that I know of, and the fastest – this tool works with any standard reloading press with a ram and 7/8×14 threads.

CH4D 419001Swage Kit

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#17]
OK just got these in from Amazon, and hooked them all up to test, and it's working like a charm. Should be quick and easy PP reaming.

Just have to build some kind of housing for it.

Uses an electric motor with speed control and a drill chuck.

You cannot plug this direct into a wall outlet without an AC to DC transformer do-hicky thingy or the motor will burn out.(I'm not an electrician as you might have noticed

I think this setup also has a potential to be a poorman's Girard case trimmer if you get his Tri-way or a trim-it ll.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H88TYCN?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088GYYNGG?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I found a variable speed DC motor 90VDC IIRC that runs on a 120V controller. Surplus Treadmill motors are ideal for this. It's very similar to the above pic. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I found a variable speed DC motor 90VDC IIRC that runs on a 120V controller. Surplus Treadmill motors are ideal for this. It's very similar to the above pic. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.
View Quote

Yes let me know how you make out with it.

Mine didn't work out like I hoped it would.

I'm going to try some different brass next time because the GGG stuff I was trying to ream would not let a primmer pocket gauge go in  even when I tried reaming them on the RCBS station so this brass I used may have some really undersized primmer pockets, and it may not be the new setup.

Unfortunately it was the only brass I have that had a crimp so I have to wait until I fire some different crimped brass.

Not that I'm complaining because I really despise dealing with crimped brass. I have made it a policy to not use it if I can help it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:00:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Another update.

Learned a lesson, not to go by the Ballistic tools primmer pocket swage gauge. Throw that friggen thing out!!

Gauge was telling me no go after reaming the GGG brass but I just went ahead and tried seating a couple primers and it was all fine. I did 100 without any hang-ups.

Ironic thing is I was going by the gauge when using the RCBS trim pro station, and I probably could have just stayed with that but this is a bit quicker. I just touch the case head quick and the reaming is done.

So anyways it looks like this set up is going to work.  

I got it all half ass screwed on to a flat board, and I just have to cut a plastic shield to go over the chuck.

I'll try and get a pic up this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top