Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2021 6:43:48 PM EDT
I've got an older Mossberg 600AT that I bought back in the 70's brand new. Didn't really use it much as I never got into bird hunting. A few years back I got an 18-1/2" barrel for it for home defense. The few times I shot it it worked flawlessly. My son recently got me into turkey hunting, and I shot my first tom. Now I'm hooked. So, I decided to convert the old Mossberg  into a turkey gun, with new guns being hard to find. I bought a 24" vented barrel with Acu Choke, camo gun skin, and tactical camo pistol grip stock to trick it out. In the process I disassembled it completely using a couple YouTube videos. Pretty easy. Went back to the YouTube videos for reassembly which also were pretty straight forward. However, once I get it all back together, the slide will only run the bolt back about an inch or so, and then it binds. I've had all the pieced in and out more than a dozen times, and it still hangs up. I've double, triple, and quadruple checked the bolt, carrier, elevator, cartridge stop, and cartridge interupter for proper fit and placement. Everything works smoothly and flawlessley UNTIL i install the trigger group. Then the slide will only move the bolt back about an inch, then binds up. I am stumped. Everything worked fine until I disassembled it. I am completely stumped. Like I said, I've had it apart and back together over a dozen of times.
Any help guys? I'm hoping it's something really dumb and simple. But, man I am stumped. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Update. I can pull the slide back now, but it seems to be sticking at the rear of the stroke. The only way I can get it to go forward, with the slide release depressed, is to bang it forward with a blunt object. Still stumped.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check the inside of the barrel extension for a burr or other defect that's rubbing on the bolt assembly, especially around the locking lug recess. Compare the new barrel to one that works well.
View Quote

Thanks. I’ll try that. Weird thing is that it did the same thing with no barrel installed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Make sure the action bars aren't boogered up and the shell stops are installed correctly. While you have it apart look inside the receiver for any debris that could cause a problem. I once had a shell with buffered shot leak the buffer powder from a bad crimp. That stuff stuck everywhere in the action and mag tube and made it hard to cycle. It's like plastic sand.
View Quote

I’ll check that out too. The thing that is driving me crazy is that everything moves and acts normally until the trigger group is installed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Think I had the same problem, although I might be confusing shotguns.  You need to make sure the shell stop on the side is being pushed aside before you put in the trigger group or it causes the stop to bend out and lock up the action bars.

This one is pretty good, fast forward to about 330-345.

How to reassemble your Mossberg 500 Shotgun
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Think I had the same problem, although I might be confusing shotguns.  You need to make sure the shell stop on the side is being pushed aside before you put in the trigger group or it causes the stop to bend out and lock up the action bars.

This one is pretty good, fast forward to about 330-345.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U4Kj4WMyLU
View Quote

Thanks man. That was the video I watched. Not sure what the problem was, but I was racking it back until it stuck, then putting the heel of my hand on the back of the slide until it broke loose and went forward. I did that maybe 20-30 times trying to see if whatever was binding would loosen up. Well.....guess what? All of a sudden, it kinda popped and now it works perfectly, just like it did before I switched out the furniture and disassembled/reassembled it. I still don't know what was binding, but whatever it was, it isn't now. Everything looks and feels like normal again. This one was a real head scratcher. I've always been a real tinkerer with my guns, and like to troubleshoot them when something seems off or broken. Thanks a million for all the suggestions, guys.
Here is the project from start to finish.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:14:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I could have been one of the springs not seated all of the way. I had similar happen one time with my 410 Model 500. I rushed putting it back together and the slide would only go back if the release was pushed in. It ended up being a spring was not reinstalled correctly. It's been so long ago that I don't remember which spring it was though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I swear, this thing is out to get me. Got everything working and took it to the range to pattern it today. First shot, the cap at the end of the mag tube that the barrel screw attaches (Mossberg 14-1/2" old style tube) started to back out. Same thing happened years ago, and I had my gunsmith silver solder it in. Not sure how it was originally held in place. Looks almost like it could have been some kind of C clip or ring. I found a replacement used old style tube on ebay and ordered it. Also emailed Mossberg about it. Trying to figure out if the new style mag tubes would work. Anyone have any ideas on this new attempt at my shotgun trying to drive me crazy?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I believe they were crimped in originally. You can have it soldered again. You could also drill and tap it and put a screw at 6 and 12 o'clock positions. 6 position would be a handy place for a sling swivel. Also a new tube of the same length should be just fine.
View Quote

Those are exactly the options I was thinking about. I think the drill and tap idea would be the most stable solution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top