Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2018 11:05:34 PM EDT
Do you think the strap is a safety necessity?

Is shooting your hand off with a shotgun a real thing?

Or do you think it is something Mossberg puts on just so they can say in court if someone hurts themselves that they removed the safety strap?

Remington doesn't put it on the TAC-14 and GG&G is selling a Magpul forearm modified for the Shockwave that has no strap.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not to prevent you from shooting your hand off. I shot mine for the first time by looking down the sights and I can tell you I felt that strap catch my hand hard. If I hadn't had the strap I'm certain the gun would have slip through my left hand and probably hit me in the face. Before I tried shooting it that way I thought the strap was dumb and planned on taking it off. I just ordered an tac 14 hardwood and now I'm wondering how it'll be without a strap.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not to prevent you from shooting your hand off. I shot mine for the first time by looking down the sights and I can tell you I felt that strap catch my hand hard. If I hadn't had the strap I'm certain the gun would have slip through my left hand and probably hit me in the face. Before I tried shooting it that way I thought the strap was dumb and planned on taking it off. I just ordered an tac 14 hardwood and now I'm wondering how it'll be without a strap.
View Quote
The Shockwave manual says, "Failure to keep hand inside the fabric strap can result in loss of grip and may result in personal injury."  A couple sentences later it says "Never hold the firearm at eye level and attempt to sight down the barrel."

I am not sure if they were thinking of shooting a hand off as one of the possibilities of personal injury, or if they had being struck under recoil in mind only.  I suppose that "personal injury" term is a catch-all though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#3]
.410 Shockwave is the best one

And I use the strap !
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:43:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:20:49 AM EDT
[#5]
keep it on unless you dont value your hand
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think the risk is in pulling the trigger and the shotgun coming back so fast that the shot hits your hand as much as you stroking the slide forward and your hand slipping off the front as you pull the trigger and then shooting your hand.

It's not needed with the brace.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#7]
and on a completely different topic... the addition of a rear strap you slip your trigger hand through, greatly helps you hold on to the grip and subsequent control of the firearm
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
and on a completely different topic... the addition of a rear strap you slip your trigger hand through, greatly helps you hold on to the grip and subsequent control of the firearm
View Quote
I modded mine by wrapping tennis racket tape around the receiver right behind the safety & tapering back. it made a wedge pad for my shooting hand. high brass buckshot & slugs are more comfortable now. short shells are super easy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought the getting your hand shot thing had to do with VFGs breaking off bullpups.  Has anyone actually had it happen with a Shockwave where someone removed the strap, or with a TAC-14?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I regularly shoot mine with slugs and buck with no strap.

If you need it then it's there. Mines been in the trash since day one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the strap, especially when aggressively returning the action to battery for the next shot. I could easily imagine myself pulling the gun through my support hand and sweeping my hand with the muzzle or otherwise losing full control of the gun.

Use it or don't use it but develop your own technique before you try to run this gun super fast.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#13]
yes!
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I regularly shoot mine with slugs and buck with no strap.

If you need it then it's there. Mines been in the trash since day one.
View Quote
The nylon and screws are poorly placed and will cut you hand if not careful.

I did the magpul mod and put textured adhesive strips in the grooves.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#15]
The first thing I did when I got mine was remove the strap.. never saw the need for it
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Years ago the NYPD Emergency Services squad used various brands of shotguns, all fitted with the hand strap.
Most of these had 18 inch barrels.
They said it was to insure that the gun was properly pumped without a wet, sweaty, cold, or nervous hand slipping off and causing a malfunction at a critical moment.

Shooting your hand IS a "thing" with an ultra-short gun.  
For this reason the first shotgun made like the current Mossberg and Remington guns was the US Marshal Service Witness Protection gun.
It looks just like the current Remington chopped gun except it used the standard wood fore end and had a sling loop/hand stop between the magazine cap and the barrel support ring.

You can buy various types of these hand stops.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/slings-sling-swivels/shotgun-sling-mounts/remington-sling-mount-prod12519.aspx?psize=96

Without some sort of hand stop it's just a little too easy to be firing the gun fast and failing to stop the trigger pull when your hand slips forward.
And it's always when someone is showing how fast they can operate the gun when their hand slips forward.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I can see how you would worry about it. That said, if the recoil knocks your hand loose that means the shot is already headed down the barrel at over a 1,000 fps and has more than likely left the barrel before you lose your grip. Think how fast your hand would have to move to beat the shot to end of the barrel and get out in front of it. Mossberg put that on to avoid liability suits as I am sure someone out there is willing to put their hand in the way on purpose to get paid for their "accident". I took it off and don't sweat it in the least but I won't shit on someone who wants to be as safe as they can be.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:13:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone/do you know anyone who has altered the strap? I was thinking of changing it to paracord?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:35:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Years ago the NYPD Emergency Services squad used various brands of shotguns, all fitted with the hand strap.
Most of these had 18 inch barrels.
They said it was to insure that the gun was properly pumped without a wet, sweaty, cold, or nervous hand slipping off and causing a malfunction at a critical moment.

Shooting your hand IS a "thing" with an ultra-short gun.  
For this reason the first shotgun made like the current Mossberg and Remington guns was the US Marshal Service Witness Protection gun.
It looks just like the current Remington chopped gun except it used the standard wood fore end and had a sling loop/hand stop between the magazine cap and the barrel support ring.

You can buy various types of these hand stops.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/slings-sling-swivels/shotgun-sling-mounts/remington-sling-mount-prod12519.aspx?psize=96

Without some sort of hand stop it's just a little too easy to be firing the gun fast and failing to stop the trigger pull when your hand slips forward.
And it's always when someone is showing how fast they can operate the gun when their hand slips forward.
View Quote
I have shot really heavy loads in a Winchester 1300 "speed pump" and had it blow the for grip right out of my hand. Hand didn't move, foregrip blew all the way back and ejected the shell. So I can see it could be helpful.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:29:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Voted no.

I dropped mine when I SBS's the thing, but felt it to be unneeded w/the birdshead grip installed.

YMMV & al dat
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do you think the strap is a safety necessity?

Is shooting your hand off with a shotgun a real thing?

Or do you think it is something Mossberg puts on just so they can say in court if someone hurts themselves that they removed the safety strap?

Remington doesn't put it on the TAC-14 and GG&G is selling a Magpul forearm modified for the Shockwave that has no strap.
View Quote
I'm replacing the forend on my Shockwave w/ one of the GG&G Magpul forends and putting on a Magpul hand stop kit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't really use it, but my light/mount acts enough like a hand stop.

Even without the hogue, I had no issues with the shockwave wanting to "fly" out of my hands.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I took the strap off the day I bought it and never looked back. I have used this thing for skeet, hunting, general can-busting at the ranch and I have never come close to hitting myself in the face or blowing my hand off.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

I ended up selling my Shockwave and just getting one of these.  Mostly I wanted the full stock without extra NFA paperwork.  The extra barrel length so I don't have to worry about the strap is good too.

By the way, I tried the GG&G-modified Magpul forend.  I think GG&G did a good job on the product but I wasn't too excited about the setup overall.  I tried to attach one of those handstop kits but the screw cracked the plastic of the handstop in half as I was attaching it.  Also, plastic with MLOK is a pure disaster as far as I can tell.  The nut will just rotate and chew through the plastic instead of stopping.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

No more strap on mine...
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Let us know how the liquor store heist goes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
LOL.... yeap, she DOES have "that look" about her.
Actually, the sling setup is the same as the one the US Marshals used to run on their "witness protection" shotguns!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top